Leaps of faith, name them!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's one in the Franconias. Somewhere between Lincoln and Little Haystack I think. Coming from Lincoln, the trail veers (subtly) to the right at one point. I lost it and continued on for another 100 yards or so and came to a fairly good sized leap of faith. 3 or 4' across, sheer on one side and probably a good 30' on the other.

I had suspected that I had lost the trail, but it was confirmed on the other side of the leap when I realized there was no way down without rope. :p

The first step on any rock that may, or may not, be ice-covered as opposed to just plain wet. Any rock, any stream.

1)Maple Ridge trail, Mt Mansfield, VT. There is a 1.5-2foot gap on a rock hop that you have to jump over...

Jay

It's "interesting", that even though I have done the route in winter several times, I have never been able to find this same gap, so I am assuming it fills in...or something.:eek:

I would imagine it would fill in, it's not bottomless! It is closer to the Forehead than the CCC road, if that helps any!

Jay

Wall Street traverse on Upper Exum route, Grand Teton

I do not recall this "leap" being all that dramatic, but perhaps I should go back and try it again, as I seem to remember the move being more of a hop. The route is only 5.4, in any case, so "how hard could it be?"

"Indeed, the Grand thrusts upward with such tectonic violence that many thought the southern ridges unattainable until 1931, when Glenn Exum—alone, unroped, and wearing football cleats—made the first ascent of the now legendary Exum Ridge. The feat required Exum to leap a five-foot-wide split in the rock, risking a stiff penalty if he missed: a 1,500-foot free fall."

from: http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200306/200306_mountaineering_6.html

Before rap anchors were installed on it, an ascent of Pinnacle Peak's (AZ) west peak necessitated a several foot leap from that coffee table-sized summit to the tiny east summit's rap anchors with big air beneath. We debated the trade-offs of staying roped for it (things can go wrong) or not and chose the former. I remember that more vividly than the climbs themselves...

There is a place along a knife-edged portion of the traverse between the Maroon Bells (CO) with a long leap to a significantly lower ledge, thought-provoking and with a hard landing. Alternative is to traverse around the spot on exposed junk. I jumped. There is also a shorter jump over even more air on nearby Pyramid's Northeast Ridge route. Check your laces!