Limmer Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my Limmers. They even have names:" Lim" and "Lime".
The are midweights and bought them off the shelf.I have horrible feet but I won't bore you witht the description of the multiple problems. I also wear heavy duty orthotics.
I had no faith and no hope when I walked into their facility. They worked on getting the right boots for me and they also streched them with their industrial strenghth machine. In fact they sent me home with the understanding that I would wear them indoors for two weeks and then send them back for treatment.
If you have trouble with your Limmers I highly recommend bringing them back especially if they are too tight in the toe box. I have enormous "doorknob bunions" and they made mine fit.
Truthfully, my Limmers are the only thing in my closet that really fit my lousy feet.
And they are tough as nails!!!
Love ya LIMMER :D :D :D

The Standard, big, heavy, indestructible ones are what I wear. I pretty much keep them for spring and fall, while going with lightweight Gore-Tex in the summer and plastics in the winter.

They were a present from a good friend (make that a GREAT friend!), and I never had any trouble or discomfort, not even at the start. Mine are a little big, allowing me to use a good thickness of socks that takes some of the pounding out of a rocky hike. Wouldn't part with them!

Reactions: yam
Yeah, they're all that.

Without hyperbole, they are a form of artwork: truly old-school, handcrafted by artisans, in small quantities, to true believers who return for more and tell their best friends about them.

I went in this Columbus Day weekend, met a craftsman ("Ken") who knew everything you'd expect, and heard a few tales. An old couple (+/- eighties) came in in matching nordic sweaters to reclaim the used-up soles from a resoling. The guy told me the boots in question were original custom "Standards" from the seventies, that this was his fourth resole, and that they had been all over the world, including multiple trips up the 48 & 46.

Ken helped me with the Midweights which I scored on eBay for $60 (sixty bucks!) and knew what size I was just by looking.

He related a story in which the Meindl people (in Bavaria, where they still tan leather using chromium) wanted to stop buying the specific cut & grain of leather they were using because it was expensive and because the Limmers were the only ones still using it. Apparently, Peter Limmer made a visit to the president of Meindl and got him to agree that their niche was still alive and worth maintaining. Nobody else in the world makes boots the same way anymore, to hear him tell the tale.

He also stated unequivocally that the green dot on the heel has nothing whatever to do with crampon suitability. Total coincidence that it's used that way.

I felt upon leaving that I had come upon one of the few true practitioners of art one meets in life. Like meeting Enzo Ferrari or Francis Coppola.

I also used the boots for a week across the Pemi this year and they rocked.

--M.

I have a pair of Standards and my wife has Ultralights. She uses hers for dog walks in the woods and loves them. I use mine for bushwhacking with pack in three seasons and like them. They're supportive, dry when maintained properly, and tough. I would love them if I had paid more attention when it was suggested during my fitting that maybe two different sizes of tongue pads were in order. (I have low volume feet, narrow heels, and one foot that is maybe a quarter size longer.) I rushed the fitting; someday I'll go back and have one of the pads replaced with a different thickness.

The Lightweights are just fine for lots of folks, despite their modest moniker. The Midweights are a different last from the Standards and did not come close to fitting me or feeling right for me. I needed the tongue pads to make the Standards work. If you have low volume feet, take your time with the fitting and follow their advice about any necessary padding, etc.

I like stiff, heavy boots for the security underfoot when I'm off trail with a heavy pack and alone. Don't buy the Standards if you don't like such boots. But realize also that they're not nearly as stiff as their rep, IMO. I've worn some stiffer boots.

If I thought my Standards would wear out in any reasonable time, I would put my name on the custom list. But they won't. :D :(

John H Swanson said:
Though I tried, I could never get the limmers to work. I had no problem if my hike was 3-5 miles but whenever I went above 6 miles I'd get two nasty heel blisters - one on each foot.

John,

Bummer about the Limmers.

IME, blisters require a multi-pronged attack. Only one has to do with fit.

1) Socks make a huge difference. I've found that different boots prefer different socks. NOLS suggests 2 thick wool socks for use with heavy hiking boots. I get away with thin liners under a single thick sock. YMMV.

2) Lacing - I've found that the stiffer the sole is, the loose (not tighter) I need to lace the ankle. Stiff soles act like a lever and tight laces tend to grind my heel into the back of the boot. I see the same effect with burlier tele boots btw. I got this tip from an article in Couloir in the 90s relative to tele boots and it helped me get rid of blisters in my hiking boots.

3) Break-in - The more thick soled norwegian welted boots break in the more they develop a rocker and the more they develop a rocker, the less they blister. I would think 200 miles would just be a start to taming a boot like a Limmer. The worst boots I ever had for blisters were 3/4 shank boots. The stiffer they are, the more break-in is important.

4) Toughen the heels. I use Tincture of Benzoin. This has been a real key for me.

5) Make sure the boots fit. Hard to imagine you could have gotten a better fit anywhere other than Limmer, given your size.

John, I'm not disputing that the boots didn't fit you right. No maker is going to produce gold on every turn. Just pointing out that for me fit is only 1 of several factors that can lead to recurring heel blisters. For me, I need to have all 5 of the above absolutely dialed in to avoid them.

David Metsky said:
Not the wife, the mom. She was hard as nails, and had no problems snatching boots out of the hands of people she felt wouldn't treat them well. I saw a guy pleading with her to sell her the boots, and she finally relented but made him promise to take proper care of them.

Her directions about how to tie the boots were basically to cross the laces, pull them tight, then pull them through the hooks so you didn't stress the hooks so much. Once you are ready to tie them make sure the knot is on top of the crossed laces so it doesn't cut into the tongue or the top of your foot.

She inspected the boots when people returned them for repairs and she was often very harsh with them. I think a lot of it was tongue-in-cheek but I wouldn't want to cross her. I think she may have passed on by now, but she's one of characters that make that place special.

-dave-

i already know how to tie my boots and wouldn't take any guff from any old ladies snatchin' boots out of ol' bruno's hands or gettin' "harsh" with me i can guarantee you that. :)

I had some fit problems with my Limmer lightweights, and took them up to Intervale. It was great meeting Peter, and he made a few adjustments and they are behaving much better. I now have a pair of boots with and extra tongue, but they are quite comfy.

This was two months ago, and I signed on the 42 month waiting period for a set of custom standards.

Peter seemed knowledgable and willing to work with what I openly admited was my stupidity. I bought the boots after a long hike, and didn't even have my socks for the fitting.

I suppose I'll have to opine on the customs in about 4 years. I'm hoping for better luck than John. :eek:

dave.m said:
John,

Bummer about the Limmers.

IME, blisters require a multi-pronged attack. Only one has to do with fit.

John, I'm not disputing that the boots didn't fit you right. No maker is going to produce gold on every turn. Just pointing out that for me fit is only 1 of several factors that can lead to recurring heel blisters. For me, I need to have all 5 of the above absolutely dialed in to avoid them.

Just for the record....you can imagine spending a small forture on a pair of custom boots...with boots in hand and no refund coming I made every effort to get them to work.

With thousands of hiking miles of expereince, I used the full arsenal of tricks including various lacing techniques, sock combinations, pads / insoles, and skin treatments / bandaging. Even tried boot conditioning. I did stop short of some flesh reshaping with the Makita

Them bad boys were just plain wrong.

I started using them for short hikes (1-3 miles) and snow days Imagine how long a pair of limers would last if they can only be used on 10% or your hikes! Then I just got frustrated having them around

John H Swanson said:
Just for the record....you can imagine spending a small forture on a pair of custom boots...with boots in hand and no refund coming I made every effort to get them to work.

With thousands of hiking miles of expereince, I used the full arsenal of tricks including various lacing techniques, sock combinations, pads / insoles, and skin treatments / bandaging. Even tried boot conditioning. I did stop short of some flesh reshaping with the Makita

Them bad boys were just plain wrong.

I started using them for short hikes (1-3 miles) and snow days Imagine how long a pair of limers would last if they can only be used on 10% or your hikes! Then I just got frustrated having them around

in all seriousness, i'd ask 'em to refund your dough. really! custom and 3 years o' waitin' and they hurt your feet? again, ol' bruno'd be up in their face about it if they refused to make good on it!

most bespoke gear companies will make good on stuff that doesn't work or fit right. i have a custom-made leather motorcycle jacket from a company (langlitz) that treats their customers right. check out their website to see how they roll. limmer should refund your money. now.

Last edited:
Was at the head of the line as an AMC employee in 1976 and paid ~$75 for the custom boots. After a couple resolings and at least one 'stretch' through the years I have finally moth-balled them.

They no longer fit, are too heavy for what I do, and are not worth further investment. But they were a helluva boot during their and my hey-day on the trails.

Limmers

I have a pair of standards that I bought in March of 2002.

Pete looked at my feet, said he knew what size I needed and grabbed a pair. When I tried them on, I thought I felt some slipping forward so he encouraged me to kick the wall ("harder!") a few times. After realizing there was some extra space near the instep, he tried padded, leather instep inserts. Perfect.

Peter then took the boots, stitched the inserts to the tongues, stripped and retreated the boots with the Limmer paste.

Awesome.

David Metsky said:
She was hard as nails, and had no problems snatching boots out of the hands of people she felt wouldn't treat them well.

In that case, I'd think I'd ask my wife to go in and deal with it. :D

Good boots are not something to skimp on, especially if there are problems with the feet or if you're difficult to fit. I've thought about Limmers and, even though I wear orthodics, decided I didn't need to spend the premium when Vasques have worked quite well for me for many miles and they are lightweight, too.

I do agree with Mother Limmer that you should take care of your boots. They can last many years and perform as intended only if they're treated well when the hike is done. Besides, it's fun to try to recollect how this or that scratch or gouge happened and also compare removal of muck to Kilkenny Mud.

Limmer Shoes

I don't know how many of you knew that one of the Limmer Boys moved to Vermont a few years ago and made Limmer Shoes. I have owned two pair for years. The only time they don't get stared at is when I'm in Europe.

Hillwalker said:
I don't know how many of you knew that one of the Limmer Boys moved to Vermont a few years ago and made Limmer Shoes.
And moved back. Karl Limmer, in the current Appalachia, p. 93: "...I struck out for different scenery, a different life. I lived in Vermont from 1979 to 1985, doing shoemaking there. I realized, though, that it was going to be a lifetime struggle to just get established. I had in mind to have a family and own a home, but I didn't see that coming from the [Vermont work] any time soon. But I befriended the lady who is now my wife, Marie, over in Vermont, and we moved back here in 1985."

I got Limmers almost a year ago to replace my Asolo's. The Asolo's fit and performed extremely well but I killed them in four years. They had replaced some old Chippewa's that lasted 12 years. The people at Limmer are the most knowledgeable boot fitters I've met. My foot is hard to fit. I have a high arch and instep. At Limmer they measured my feet and noted the shape of my foot as well as the size. Based on the shape they recomended the midweights. I spent a lot of time in the barn walking around and kicking walls while the fitter questioned me about specific aspects of the fit. I wore them around whenever I could to help with break-in and started with modest hikes. When I first started using them on longer hikes I got blisters on my heels, especially if it was wet. Toward the end of summer any discomfort went away. Now they get more comfortable each time I wear them. I love a sturdy boot. I'm looking forward to enjoying the comfort, protection, and support of my Limmers for years to come :)

The Limmer family is a NH institution.
3 generations of Limmers have made boots for 3 generations of my family.
I view my Limmers as a badge of honor and a work of art.
My first pair cost $24. The second pair was special: brown leather and brass hooks; after 41 years I reserve them for special hikes and formal events. My third pair are great for spring snow and crampons.

Does anybody know how to order custom Limmers? i sent them an email about a few months ago but never heard from them. I gather that the waiting list is from 2-4 years., but how do you get on it?

It used to be that you'd send them a tracing of your foot and a check, but with a 4 year wait list I don't know if they do that anymore. The easiest way was to show up at the store in Intervale and get measured there.

They do have a website for the Boot Grease that has an email address, but I imagine that is what you already used.

-dave-