Losing Weight and Getting into Shape

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CNN Article

A dozen Krispy Kreme donuts in your backpack wouldn't be too heavy. I wonder if they'd freeze in winter?

:eek: He did lose some additional weight, as well, when his teeth rotted and fell out ;). Short term, weight loss is about exercise and calories, and you may need to increase calories to prevent your motabolism from shifting into starvation survival mode. Longer term, proper nutrition impacts your health in areas other than weight, obviously.

CNN Article

A dozen Krispy Kreme donuts in your backpack wouldn't be too heavy. I wonder if they'd freeze in winter?

Someone check my math. Something doesn't seem right.:confused:

You have to cut out 3500 cals to lose one pound. He lost 27 pounds by cuting back 94500 cals in 60 days. That would be 1575 less cal a day.

He needed 2600 cals to maintain and was living on 1800 cals to lose, a difference of 800 cals a day. 800 times 60=48000divided by 3500=13.7 lbs.

2600 minus 1575=1025 cals a day. A really tight diet to maintain. Which would be like eating 3 Twinkies a day. Waking hours divided by 3 would be like eating 5 small meals.

27 divided by 8=3.38 lbs lost a week. That quite an agressive weight loss for 800 less cals a day.

What am I missing here?

oooppsss it's 10 weeks not 8 but the math still points to overstatment.

Last edited:
For one thing, 1800 was his upper limit. If you look at the "sample day" in the left column, the total is under 1600. If that's typical, then compared to the 2600 kcal "standard", he was actually cutting back about 1000 kcal a day. We don't actually know what he used to eat, though, nor do we know his excercise level - we just are told that someone his weight "typically eats" 2600 kcal. It's entirely possible that he previously ate over 3000 kcal daily. It's also rather likely that he increased his exercise level during the experiment - most people do when they start a new diet, even if they don't intend to.

Kinda slow today

Like Math?

This is how you figure out caloric requirements

Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
If you are moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Example:

66 + ( 6.23 x 200lbs ) + ( 12.7 x 73in ) - ( 6.8 x 50yo ) = 1930 (BMR, Basal Metabolic Rage)

1930 (BMR) x 1.2 (*activity multiplier) = 2316 (calories required to maintain weight)

2316 (calories required to maintain weight) – 20% (**arbitrary % of calories to create a calorie deficit) = 1853 (daily calorie intake to lose weight)

Now, the key is to adopt an easy method for accurately monitoring your daily caloric intake.

Given the above, this person could eat 12 Twinkies a day and still lose weight.

I wonder if Twinkies freeze. :)

*In this example I have essentially taken exercise out of the equation as most folks will overestimate the amount of exercise they get.
** The caloric deficit you create is up to you.

CNN Article

This is Great!! Someone hold my beer, so I can get to the store and buy a case of Suzie-Q's. I just love Suzie-Q's. Creamy filling sandwiched by 2 delicious devils food cakes. Just plain yum! :eek:

Petch

Like Math?

This is how you figure out caloric requirements

Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
If you are moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Example:

66 + ( 6.23 x 200lbs ) + ( 12.7 x 73in ) - ( 6.8 x 50yo ) = 1930 (BMR, Basal Metabolic Rage)

1930 (BMR) x 1.2 (*activity multiplier) = 2316 (calories required to maintain weight)

2316 (calories required to maintain weight) – 20% (**arbitrary % of calories to create a calorie deficit) = 1853 (daily calorie intake to lose weight)

Now, the key is to adopt an easy method for accurately monitoring your daily caloric intake.

Given the above, this person could eat 12 Twinkies a day and still lose weight.

I wonder if Twinkies freeze. :)

*In this example I have essentially taken exercise out of the equation as most folks will overestimate the amount of exercise they get.
** The caloric deficit you create is up to you.

Impressive ! Or you could use this calculator. ;)

I definately experience the Starvation Reflex, or whatever it's called, when your metabolism slows when calories are reduced. I've countered this (in the past :eek:) with increased exercise and slightly increased calories.

how many calories did I burn replying to this thread? I typed really fast and pushed the keys extra hard.... :rolleyes:

:eek: He did lose some additional weight, as well, when his teeth rotted and fell out ;). Short term, weight loss is about exercise and calories, and you may need to increase calories to prevent your motabolism from shifting into starvation survival mode. Longer term, proper nutrition impacts your health in areas other than weight, obviously.

backpacking with a dozen would be great for keeping your girlish figure, after a few hours you'd rather not eat them. (While at a client for a week in NC we ate these everyday; before noon, krispy Kreme, after noon Krusty Kreme - I shudder at day old frozen krusty kreme's:eek:)

At that schedule for eating sweets, you might lose some teeth. Oddly plaque bacteria (or whatever microbe family they belong too) can be overwhelmed. While eating a pound of Oreo's a week will add the same number of calories to your diet, if you eat them all in 20 minutes you'll have little tooth decay as after the first couple of cookies, those little buggers are full & are basically in nap mode, letting all the sugar right on by)

One with every meal on the other hand they can process with no problem. Of course if you eat them in 20 minutes you'd have to go without the other 30 days. (or thankfully just 27 in most February's)

I've done some of this research myself. (the overdosing of plaque is a medical fact.) I've managed the single serving 16oz Oreo, Newtons, 56oz & quart of ice cream (with syrup of course). at 49+ Cavity count is still zero. I haven't managed the no sweets for the other 30 days just yet.

And I still have my girlish figure, just like my roll model..........

Cass Elliot.:D (Well hopefully I'll work on reversing that)

Last edited:
The other big problem with eating all that junk is the havoc it reeks on your pancreas. You need to produce lots of insulin to handle that sugar overload and it's a great way to develop "reactive hypoglycemia" and eventually, the inevitable "adult onset diabetes".

:cool: laugh it up, fuzzball...you'll be counting calories too at some point. :D

I already did my time counting calories back in 08' ;) Which gives me the right to poke a little fun :) Now I harness my love of food to motivate my training.
It's a tough battle with the constant flow of BS coming at you to eat this eat that. Gotta get back to the basics of eating. like Jack LaLane said "if man made it, don't eat it", and "if it tastes good, spit it out." :D

Keep up the good work everyone!

Last edited:
I can vouch for Farmer: I have seen his driver's license. :D Farmer, you should make that your avatar.

Sue, who eats whatever she craves... fortunately that's mostly healthy stuff!

I already did my time counting calories back in 08' ;) Which gives me the right to poke a little fun :)

:eek: Now that you mention it, I do think I remember reading something about you and weight loss. Congratulations. I imagine you're getting enough exercise now to pretty much eat what you want, which would be ideal.

:eek: Now that you mention it, I do think I remember reading something about you and weight loss. Congratulations. I imagine you're getting enough exercise now to pretty much eat what you want, which would be ideal.

CCN must have seen our discussion. This is a nice "rational" article re:adult dieting.

I quit dieting. It seems everything this man says is true for me. When I give myself permission to have anything I want, anytime I want, I lose interest and forget about it. It works. We really do want what we cannot have.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/11/10/etzioni.dieting/index.html?hpt=T2

How Far We Have Fallen

This chart says it all. We are no longer #1.

economix-23obesitycorrected-custom2.jpg

Mexico has, sadly, surpassed us in obesity.

I call on my fellow Americans to remedy this. More burritos. Bigger steaks. Extra spaghetti. You get the picture. Help restore our nation.

There is a ray of hope, though.

These populations are expected to get even heavier in the near future, and in some countries two out of three people are projected to be obese within 10 years.

Behold:

economix-23OECDobesity-custom1-1.jpg

Last edited:
I recently added three pound hand weights to my treadmill brisk walking routine (4mph with interval inclines of 0-1-2-3-0%) and its REALLY starting to make a difference. Down two real pounds in the past few weeks, back and core feeling the burn. Seeing the needle on the scale FINALLY come down and stay down has me very happy -- guess the weights were just what I needed to get off the plateau I've been riding!

I did some googling to see any research or training advice on adding them, and found mainly advice against it (stress on joints, tendons)-- but I have to say, a three pound dumbell in each hand isn't very difficult to manage, increases cardio output, and encourages good posture.

Keep up the good work, everyone!