Madison & Adams and some winter finishes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
It started on Christmas Day 2007 on Mt Moosilauke and ended today on Mt Madison.

As I stood on the summit, surrounded by many of the best hikers and friends I have, I felt a satisfaction that I haven't felt when completing other hiking goals. This one was a long time coming, and I think that made it extra special:).

What began as a plea for "someone to please hike with me Friday as its my only window to get this done this winter" grew into a happy band of folks all sharing the common objective. I couldn't have been more pleased, as this has been a winter of not a lot of trips north for me and I was sorely missing the companionship of my friends and the solitude and challenge of being in the mountains in winter.

The nearly foot of snow that fell in the White Mountains yesterday was the icing on the cake. :p

We headed up Valley Way - one lone hiker had started before us and began "the break out".

We spotted many interesting mouse trails along the way. When we broke treeline we were greeted by the curious and lovely Star the Moose, who was contentedly browsing in the scrub alongside Madison Hut.

Visibility was so-so, so we chose to head to Adams first. Winds increased and visibility drastically decreased as we made our way across the Alpine Zone, and by the time we reached Adams, we were in a white out and marginal winds of ~25 mph. Yay for winter! I completed my fourth round of the NH4ks here. A bittersweet moment as my faithful trail dog and friend, Terra, would have completed her 4th had she been here, but given the ice, crust and drifts, home was the best place for her. We didn't linger long, and began our descent with the winds at our backs.

Back at the hut after some hot tea and snacks, we made our way up Madison. The winds had died down to nearly nothing and the going was much easier. The sun began to peek through the clouds and we got may glimpses of blue sky - the Obs foretold of an inversion and potential under cast, but we were below its ceiling. Nearing the summit the skies brightened even more and we were so excited to see the appearance of the sun that we took our time pointing at the sky in hopeful anticipation before we were reminded of our larger goals and pushed on. :)

Upon the summit, many pictures, hugs and congratulations were extended - to Silverfox and Val C for completing a single season winter round <Applause meter = 10> :D, and for me - after five years, many long drives, many disappointing weather forecasts, one frostbitten toe and a few turn arounds, I finished my W48.

But the best part of this winter journey has been all of the people and pups who have shared trail, laughs, and hikes with me. so, please allow me to extend my gratitude, admiration and thanks to:

Moosilauke: MichaelJ, Terra and Orca the trail aussies
The Kinsmans: MichaelJ, RocksnRolls, Terra and Orca the trail aussies, with special guest appearance by Ed and Duffy
Zealand and Not The Bonds: MichaelJ, Hiker Bob, Lawnsale
The Carters: MichaelJ
Carrigain: MichaelJ, RocksnRolls (his W48)! Poison Ivy :)
Carter Dome: MichaelJ
Cannon: MichaelJ, Terra the trail dog
Lafayette, Lincoln, Liberty and Flume: MichaelJ, Rocket21, Terra the Traildog
Galehead and S Twin: MichaelJ, Rocket21, DaveSunRa, Kevin, Judy and Emma, Terra the trail dog
Jackson: MichaelJ
Hale: Rocket21, TimC, Eric Rathbun, Old Man, Terra the traildog
Pierce and Eisenhower: Silverfox, Tim and ValC, Terra the trail dog
Wambuek: Eric Rathbun, Terra the trail dog
Tom, Field and Willey: Eric Rathbun, Terra and Madison, the trail dogs
The Hancocks: Eric Rathbun, Val and TimC, Rocket21, Silverfox, Linda and Blue the trail dog, Madison the trail dog, Jeb Bradley, Megan Krey, Dave Chase.
The Tripyramids, Sleepers, Whiteface and Passaconnaway Great Winter Epic: Eric Rathbun, Cath Goodwin, Tim C, Terra and Madison the Traildoggies (With special ground support team, Silverfox and Rocket21 and ValC, Incident Command ):rolleyes:
Tecumseh: Silverfox, Terra the trail dog
The Osceolas: Eric Rathbun (Grid finish:D), Ed Hawkins, Jim Tolle, Bill Marcotte, Becca Monroe, Wolfgang, Guy Jubinville, Cath Goodwin, Rocket21, (perhaps the most Grid finishers at a Grid finish?) Val and Tim C, Silverfox, Old Man, The Feathered Hat with Tuckerman (RIP) and Polly the trail dogs, John and Pepper the Traildoggies, Dave Bear and Thor the Traildoggies, Hikes with Hannah (Sarah) and Hannah the Trail dog, Kevin, Judy and Emma the Traildoggies, and other I hope I have not forgotten any!
Cabot: michaelJ (2nd round finish), Eric Rathbun, rocket21, Silverfox, Bryan, ValC, Terra and Madison the traildogs
N Twin: Eric Rathbun, Terra and Madison the trail doggies
Garfield: MichaelJ, Tim C, Eric Rathbun, Terra and Madison the Traildoggies
Moriah: Eric Rathbun! Terra and Madison the Traildoggies
The Wildcats: Silverfox, Rocket21, Val (3rd round finish)and Tim C, Terra the traildog. With special guest appearance by Dave Bear and Thor the Traildog
Owls Head: Tim C, Rocket21, Terra the traildog
Isolation:Eric Rathbun, Silverfox, Cynthia Ladew, Terra and Madison the traildogs
Monroe, Washington, Jefferson: Eric Rathbun, Tim C
Bondcliff, Bond, West Bond: Silverfox, Val C, Eric Rathbun

And finally.....

Adams and Madison: Silverfox, Val and Tim C, and Rocket21

So happy to have been with so many wonderful people along the way :)

Last edited:
I'm sorry I couldn't be there for the finish, having been there for the start, but I'm glad you had your weather window after so many non-opportunities this winter. I'm very proud ... Congratulations!!!

Congratulations!! I'm glad you finally got your weather window and it coincided with your time off. :D

Great Job Sabrina - there is something that feels very different about finishing that 48th winter peak. And Madison and Adams are hard to match (my personal two favorites). Adams to me is in a category all its own and I hike Madison more than any other mountain. Magical places especially in winter - glad you were able to save them to complete the round.

Hope to run into you and the rest of your pack on the trails.

Nice job Silverfox and Val on the SSW48 as well. That's not easy. :eek:

Now onto spring! Even though it feels like winter has finally arrived...

Way to go gang! You've definitely earned your winter patch Sabrina. What a great "group of groups" that have shared the way with you. And congrats to Mark and Val for their SSW48 finish. Definitely a day for celebration!!!

Sabrina,

Good show, Jolly good show. What a great way to finish. A great accomplishment, again Congrats.

bob

Thanks again!

Now to fill out the paperwork --- ugh....I'm behind - still haven't filled out the NEHH form :rolleyes:

Laura - you broke a lot of trail ahead of us last winter - thank you again for that!