Mighty Tecumseh! 12/10/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Judy and Emma

Reaction score
20111210-_DSC0105.jpg

Yay! Snow!

Mount Tecumseh 4003’

Mount Tecumseh Trail

5 Miles 2200’ Elevation Gain

Kevin, Judy, Emma and Blue

Mr. Blue was our guest hiker again this weekend. He's roughly about 1/2 way through his first round of the 4k's. December is the month Emma, Judy and I have the fewest 4k's. We've always sort of allowed hiking to become a lower priority in this month where there are so many other commitments, especially to family. When we hike, it's usually a short day as there are usually things to do when we get home. Today was no different. We had a quick up and down, and then off to do some projects at home. I'm not sure we'll ever get the hang of December hiking...

20111210-_DSC0044.jpg

Moss and Icicles

After last week's hike which ended in an emergency vet visit for poor Mr. Blue, he seemed a little bit subdued on this hike. I'm not sure if he is learning to conserve a little energy for the trail, or whether some dog instinct is telling him that there is a good elevation gain on this hike so he should save his usual bushwhacking for the descent. Maybe his encounter last week taught him to stay a little closer and be a little more wary, or maybe he didn't have the same amount of pent up energy he had last week. I suppose another factor could be that as this trail gains elevation it narrows to thick spruce corridors, difficult to romp through, unlike the open hardwood forest we traversed for most of our hike last week. I suppose I will never quite know what goes on in dogs minds despite the fact I try to think like one.

20111210-_DSC0065.jpg

Baby it's Cold Outside!

Besides checking off another on Blue's 4k list we chose this hike for another reason as well, and that was to check out the recent trail-work done by a couple of friends. To say sections have been improved would be an understatement. Re-routing, drainage and stairs are just some of the things meticulously labored on which will improve the quality of this hike for many years to come. Thanks be to the trail adopter and friends, most here know who they are, for the selfless act of improving things for others.

20111210-_DSC0069.jpg

Winter Wonderland!

One thing this December has been lacking in and around our southeastern New Hampshire home is cold, and with it the beautiful white stuff that covers the dreary browns and grays of late autumn. It was pleasing to step onto a trail and feel the cold, crisp air and to feel the crunch of a light dusting of snow underfoot. As we started out it was hard to tell that it was indeed December. The brooks were flowing with little in the way of ice to give away the approaching season. There was but a scant dusting on the ground, but as we wound our way along the lower section of trail and down into the gully where you cross the brook, we began to rise into a different forest with snow covered spruce lining the trail.

20111210-_DSC0075.jpg

Pine Marten?

For the next mile plus the hike was a steady climb from the clutches of late autumn into the icy fingers of early winter. Now a couple of inches deep, snow covered everything along the trail. Tecumseh, however, is one of those short, steep hikes, and we were soon at our summit goal where it was necessary to pull on an extra layer or two to keep us warm while we ingested a hasty lunch. After the usual ravenous devouring of everything resembling food by the two dogs and the usual ravenous photographing of everything that resembled scenery by the addicted photographer, we began a quick descent, this time along the other half of the summit loop.

20111210-_DSC0149.jpg

Home!

We met several other hikers and several other dogs on our way down, each seeming to be enjoying their hike as much as we were. Mount Tecumseh may not get the rave reviews that the other, more difficult 4k's receive, but you know what? It's a nice hike, and a worthy hike, and what is better to be in a snow covered forest on a bright, sunny day?

Full set of pics HERE:

Video Slideshow set to Trail Adopter's Favorite Recording Artist Here:

KDT

Last edited:
It looks so nice up there in the "Winter Wonderland"! Cannot wait to get there this winter to enjoy it as well. Very nice video!!! Thanks for sharing.

A winter wonderland indeed! Looks like a great day out for you, Judy and the pups! Love that last photo of the lighted tree and the moonlight on the water! Happy Holidays to all.
Karen

Glad Mr. Blue made it through the hike okay! Kevin, you amaze me with the small things you pick out to photograph...things that most will miss on the trail. Your small icicles on the on the mossy rock is really a cool shot!

It looks like you picked a really nice day for this hike. When the trees are freshly covered with heavy snow, it makes all forest scenery look so pretty.

Thanks for sharing!

Karl

Kevin,
Hiking Tecumseh in the snow is a fun experience. It was a cold, snowy day when we summited a few years ago; absolutely great. Enjoyed the video immensely. Need to see more of them. Looks like a real fun day for all. Hope the cold temperatures make an appearance soon and you get dumped on with a grand snowstorm.
Donna:)

Love the pics and vid. Nice hike! :)