Most climbed mountain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the main reasons the Japanese climb Mt. Fuji is to view the sun and/or sunrise from the eastern rim of the it's crater as part of a religious pilgrimage.

Note: The summit of Mt. Fuji is on the western rim of the crater next to the government operated weather and radar stations. While hiking to the true summit is allowed, it is generally discouraged and the vast majority of people who climb the mountain don't venture over to the western rim.

So....while Mt. Fuji wins the award for the most climbed mountain in the world, it also wins the award for the most failed summit attempts. :D

Other things Mt. Fuji is noted for:

1) There are nearly 50 mountain huts on the mountain. Many of them sleep 100-500 people.
2) It is nearly impossible to get lost climbing Mt. Fuji. The trails are lined with chains to guide climbers and the huts are strategically located along the main trails. In bad weather the sound of the diesel generators at each hut will guide you. If you're hard of hearing, take a deep breath, the smell of the toilets will make your eyes water up to several hundred feet away.
3) Speaking of toilets. If you wish to use one get your money out. It will cost you 100 to 200 Yen to answer the call of nature on Mt. Fuji.
...and, from Diane Diekman's trip report:
"The unisex bathroom was a narrow room with a six-foot gutter for a urinal and a row of stalls past that. Fortunately, the stalls had doors and toilet paper and some even had western-style stools instead of slits in the floor. The only sink was directly across from the urinal. I decided to skip brushing my teeth that night."
Apparently, based on my research, there are two bio-toilets on the mountain and the rest are pit toilets.
4) Everything on Mount Fuji costs, and costs alot! The only water available is bottled water and they even charge you to stop and rest at the huts.
5) Even with recent clean-up efforts, it's still trashier than Mt. Everest.
6) Mt. Fuji is almost always climbed as an overnight (due to distance and elevation gain, and the roads are gated late in the day till morning) and camping is prohibited during the legal climbing season...so, enjoy your stay at one or more of the huts.

Most of the information above was obtained from Google searches. Most of the info was late 90's to 2005.

Interesting facts on Fuji.

Fuji is a pilgrimage. It's traditional to buy hiking poles and have them branded at the stations on the way. They make great mementos (I have one from 1969 and one from 1998). There are 10 official stations, with multiple competing huts at each station and several in between stations, One can buy oxygen containers along the way (it is over 12,000 feet). I think it costs over 50 dollars for a tiny bit of space on a wooden shelf fo sleep (in '69 it was just about a dollar) and food is extra. Long lines form late in the day as people try to get to a hut near the top for the night.

There is a long history of people committing suicide by exposure on Fuji. Below treeline it is easy to get lost and never found.

Still, it is a great trip and there are some wonderful mountains nearby. Hakone is a gorgeous town. And one nearby mountain has a fantastic open air art museum - with all kinds of sculptures set out with a backdrop of gorgeous mountains.

Gee, I first climbed Mount Monadnock on the Sunday and Monday of Columbus Day Weekend (October 8 and 9) 1978. I wonder if that was the 10K weekend.

I'll never forget the comment my friend Bob made as we approached the top along the Pumpelly Ridge. We'd been by ourselves, I believe, on the Spellman Trail, and when we saw the throng on the summit he said, "Look at ’em, like flies on a big pile of [expletive deleted]."

when training last year I was going up monadnock alot - and many many times I had the summit to myself - on weekends. you just have to go early - thats all.

I agree that it is an awesome training mt - 2 miles - decent ele gain decent steepnessm rocky -

Mrs KD and I use Monadnock for a winter backpacking warmup,usually a couple of times in November.
We camped last Saturday night,deciding to climb Sunday.
700 people? no problem-the place was packed!
The view up from Paradise Valley looked like an anthill!
It's actully been a slow year by Monadnock standards,and last Sunday was the biggest crowd they have had since the summer.
I'm amazed that they don't take people off the mountain by the truckload. It's a miracle so many people go up and come back in one piece!
Andrew has done a great job of keeping it safe.

Interestingly, I have only climbed Monadnock once – Nov.16, 1992. I don’t have a calendar to tell me what day of the week that was (I’m thinking a Monday) but we started at 10:30 in the morning, spent over ½ hour up top and were down by 3:30 pm. We had the summit to ourselves and only saw a few people all day. We went up the White Cross and down the White Dot (which I understand are the popular trails). It was a beautiful sunny day with some icing on the trail. (I keep a journal or I wouldn’t have all the details.)

I’ve never been back because for me, given the driving distance there, I would rather head north than south. But I can see its location would make it a popular destination from most directions.

carole said:
....I don’t have a calendar to tell me what day of the week ....
You must be on a Windoz system, otherwise "cal 1992" would give you the answer.

One can almost always find solitude on any mountain by combining climbing, very early, in rainy weather, non-weekend, non-summer, day of a big ball game, etc.

Pete_Hickey said:

One can almost always find solitude on any mountain by combining climbing, very early, in rainy weather, non-weekend, non-summer, day of a big ball game, etc.
The first and only time I hiked Monadnock was a nice winter day. It was cool (~30degrees) and a little windy but not bad; it was cloudy but not socked in. I spent about 60 minutes on the summit... I had the summit to myself for about 20 minutes. Even when there was people there, the summit area is large enough that I just walked away from them to get some solitude. Sometimes you just get lucky and find a lull.

-Dr. Wu

Actually Sherpa, the only Time I've gone up in the rain was when I was caught in a Summer T-STorm & did not summit that day, only non-summit day on Monadnock for me. ;)

Sunset not too bad with reverse traffic as those people would still have started around 2:00 in the afternoon. I've started at 4:00 before & ran into people who were coming down, figure they started around 1:00.

Why popular, It plays like a big mountain but smaller, great for trying out crampons before committing to bare peaks in Whites You are exposed to weather depending on approach for about 1/2 mile each way so it's enough to let you experiment with the gear you have & see if you need something else before a Presidential trip.

(That Turtle fur neck warmer you had in High School is not a replacement for a neoprene face mask, you can learn that lesson in December on Monadnock without committing to a long car ride or frostbite, not so on Washington or Adams)

great views, in Winter on a clear day can make out higher peaks in Whites, can see Boston skyline, short car trip from 06/10 - 7/10 I can leave Hartford at 4:30 & get up & partly down before dark. During that same time I can leave Hartford at 12:00 (that's 1/2 a vacation day) & hike a shorter 4K peak/trail (Tecumseh, Osceola, Waumbek) & get down before dark.

Go in the rain!

My son may hold the distinction with not too many others of having his first climb of Monadnock be accompanied by 0 people other than me on the summit (or maybe I'm just nuts for taking him... :eek: ) in July of this year in the pouring warm rain - no thunder. It was a weekend day, and we probably only saw 50 other people on the hike up/down. He was unimpressed with my celebration.

Weatherman

I first climbed Monadnock in April, 2003. I went up the Birchtoft, Redspot, and Pumpelly trails. I had the summit all to myself for about 20 minutes, that was all I could take of the 30 degree 40+ mph winds. On the way down I met one other hiker going up.

I've been hooked on peakbagging ever since. :)

Pete_Hickey said:

hey, neat. Always something new to learn about the unix/linux/os X command line.

Bluethroatedone said:
So, a friend asked me if the Monandnock legend is true...

So I'm comming to the conclusion that its an urban legend/guess that may or may not be true. If we assume "climbed" to mean summited from road/trailhead (not on same "mountain" using only feet as locomotion where mountain in question rise at least x vertical feet (500,1000?) from trailhead, a few other candidates might be:

Rainier
Uluru
Mount Si (Washington State, near seattle)
That nub in Phoenix
Kala Pathar? Gokyo? etc. in Nepal
Machu Pichu
Some nub on the annapurna ciricuit?

If we relax definition to not require summiting, you'd have to believe Mont Blanc to beat it out....

Any thoughts as to other candidates? Anyone have data?

In WA, West Tiger #3 almost certainly beats out Mt Si. A half-hour from Seattle, as opposed to 45 minutes, and about a 2K elevation gain, as opposed to ~3,500 for Si. Effectively, it is an all-year hike since that close to Puget Sound snow does not persist at 3,000 feet.

I have occasionally amused myself using terraserver to compare the sizes of various trailhead parking lots, as a rough guide to usage. The biggest ones I could find in WA were Si, W Tiger, and the Paradise parking lot at Rainier. In the Whites it looked like Pinkham, the east branch pemi "wilderness" trailhead, and lafayette CG (franconia notch) are roughly equivalent. All are bigger than the biggest parking lot I could find at Monadnock. All are a bit bigger than the Adirondack Loj parking lot for Marcy The Paradise parking lot at rainier dwarfs them all, though. Mt Si in WA is relatively puny.

The conclusion? I dunno, but I doubt this story of monadnock.

franconia notch:
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=19&X=1427&Y=24455&W=2

"wilderness" parking lot:
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=19&X=1463&Y=24410&W=2

pinkham notch:
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=19&X=1600&Y=24514&W=2

adirondack loj:
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=18&X=2914&Y=24463&W=2

mt Si:
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=10&X=2980&Y=26300&W=3

Paradise @ rainier:
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=10&X=2982&Y=25910&W=3

monadnock 1
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=18&X=3690&Y=23738&W=2

...the Pinkham lot is pretty huge.

One would have to wonder given the size (which equals lots of approaches) and nearly global-draw of Washington, whether it's not climbed more than Monadnock (if you don't count summiting).

Will I have to surrender my wilderness decoder ring if I admit that I have never climbed Monadnock, or have any desire to climb it in the future?

dug said:
Some trails can get you to the summit in under an hour if I recall.

Many a beer has been had on top, and apparently Poster Boy has enjoyed it's magical powers, as well.
I used to live a scant 40 minutes from the state park in Jaffrey, so it made for a great Saturday a.m. hike. Back in my "glory days" of hiking I could go up in 50 minutes and down in 40 via the White Dot, just fast hiking, no running either way.

Max and I whitnessed a wedding on the summit one fine summer day, and carried gear for the
dancers on the summit for a few years. It's a great little mountain for sure.