Mount Temple 3543 m (11,624 ft) – Banff hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darl58

Reaction score
I was back in Banff to visit my friends last week and decided to hit a few peaks while there.
Mt Temple is the highest peak in the Lake Louise area, new snow the day before was going to make it a little slick but decided to go for it, since the forecast looked perfect!
The most dangerous part of scrambling in the Canadian Rockies is the rock fall and there was no shortage of that while I was there. It snowed on the peaks the 2nd day I was there which is beautiful but made for hard footing, especially when descending.

I was hiking solo this day Aug 19th, as my friend had surgery and couldn’t join me. Upon arriving at Moraine Lake which is where the start of the hike is, I had to hold up until there were 4 of us due to Grizzly activity in the area. Finally a couple climbers and a couple from Spain arrived and we could hike in to Sentinel Pass together at which point we would all go different ways.

The hike in is a gradual switchback hike and conversation made it seem like nothing. The climber gave me some nice beta for my climb and warned me of areas that climbers get pulled in to and can’t get out of due to the steepness and rock falls..you could hear and see rock slides coming down
with the melting snow up above..
After arriving at Sentinel pass, we all parted ways and I started my scree climb up solo. At one point I had to hug tight to a rock face while rocks came crashing down from above as another party ascended up. After that I had enough space to climb at a steady pace and stayed out of any other debris falling.

Three places you have to do some scrambling up the rock faces or chimneys which I consider fun but some hikers may not…after arriving at the first plateau, I could at least see the traverse that would take me to the snow covered summit.

The loose scree and fresh snow didn’t make for great footing…snow made it slippery and had to kick step in quite a bit, the scree would slide on you.
I caught up with a solo guy and two sisters and tagged along with the girls to the summit as we were climbing the same speed. The views were so amazing I had to stop for pictures…and to catch my breath a couple times. I felt pretty strong as I had been hiking for 4 days prior, each going a little higher altitude.

The summit was buried in deep snow and we were post-holing across the top, making a nice deep trough for the later climbers to follow.

At the summit had pics taken and snacked while enjoying the views as one lady pointed out the various peaks and areas to me..(should of taken notes for my pics)…The climb down was a little harder trying not to slide in the snow or scree as more people were coming up and it was not much space for fall..

Perfect day hiking in Banff National Park and another peak added to my list!

link to pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/BanffAug09MtTemple?feat=directlink

Will have couple more TR's as I organize all the pics....

Wonderful! Glad to see you're all healed up and able to hike again (so where are we going next???). Wish I had 18 weeks of vaca like you seem to have!:p:p

Darl - Banff looks absolutely amazing!!! I'm glad to hear that your ankle is doing well!!! I would love to join on a trip out there sometime.

Darl - Banff looks absolutely amazing!!! I'm glad to hear that your ankle is doing well!!! I would love to join on a trip out there sometime.

I definitly will take you up to Banff for some hiking.......can't wait!:rolleyes:

Rebecca---next stop Malaysia and some scuba diving!!!:p
Maybe a trip or two in between??????????????:D

Absolutely stunning photos. Lakes the color of Windex. What a treat to have that kind of weather for such a great hike. Also, you have some serious guts to hump that trail alone where those big brown four-legged things roam around.

In 2007, my wife and I were lucky enough to visit Banff (and Lake O'Hara in Yoho). We loved the Moraine Lake area....wanted to go to Sentinel Pass, but the weather didn't cooperate.
http://walkinginthewoods.smugmug.co...al-Park-Alberta/6719942_eioc5#429276888_aweAn

And a week in Jasper:
http://walkinginthewoods.smugmug.co...al-Park-Alberta/6745809_GUz8P#430905670_Ze7Qe

We often tell people, yes it's expensive to go to the Canadian Rockies, and we certainly can't afford an annual visit, but if you can possibly save the money, it's an amazingly beautiful place.

Congratulations on a super cool hike.

Wow!!! and to think 20 years ago I lived in Calgary and never hike a single peak ;'(

How stupid was I.

Nice TR & pics, brings back some great memories :D I took the exact same shot of Moraine Lake from Temple in 2003 (except yours is much better, unfortunately forest fires were everywhere when I went there).

That's a riot, they look identical...not much snow when you were there....

I also climbed Borgeau & Edith peaks(3), will be posting those hopefully tomorrow....

I love all your pics and travels though!! sweet, I was in Alps last month..Matterhorn & Mont Blanc de Tacul.. amazing hiking!!:D

I definitly will take you up to Banff for some hiking.......can't wait!:rolleyes:

Rebecca---next stop Malaysia and some scuba diving!!!:p
Maybe a trip or two in between??????????????:D

Me me me too, I will make sure to take good care of you in Malaysia ;). Scubah babeh!

Awesome pictures!

Nice. Temple has been on my tick list for a while now.

Must be nice to have 52 weeks of vacation a year...

- darren

Me me me too, I will make sure to take good care of you in Malaysia ;). Scubah babeh!

Awesome pictures!

yes, you can come too...have already talked with my friends..:p

Nice. Temple has been on my tick list for a while now.

Must be nice to have 52 weeks of vacation a year...

- darren

Temple was an awesome hike...would do it again..but so many other climbs in Banff..:rolleyes:

I have to work for a couple months now......I think I need to hit my boss up for more time off :D:p:D