MSR XGK-EX versus XGK-Exedition

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guinness

Reaction score
Many years ago I used the second generation MSR XGK-EX stove. This was the generation where MSR added the shaker jet option. Now that there is a new model, the XGK-Expedition, has anyone compared them?

I know the new model offers better packaging with a flexible fuel tube and foldable legs which makes it easier to pack than the older model. I now use the DragonFly and WindPro models more, but I am heading up Aconcagua and I think the XGK models will do better at elevation.

Guinness said:
Now that there is a new model, the XGK-Expedition, has anyone compared them?

I know the new model offers better packaging with a flexible fuel tube and foldable legs which makes it easier to pack than the older model. I now use the DragonFly and WindPro models more, but I am heading up Aconcagua and I think the XGK models will do better at elevation.
I have a model G (pre-XGK). One of the things that I like about it is the very stable platform due to the rigid fuel tube. Particularly stable on snow--I put the burner on a foil covered square of corregated cardboard and set the fuel bottle in the snow. While the new XGK looks like it will pack smaller, it also looks like it will be less stable.

Doug

Guinness,
As you know, I've been running some of these same inquiries. I just spoke with a guy who is very stove experienced. He LOVES the new XG. Said it ran like a jet engine. He loaned it to me and I promptly came home and played with it :D . It is incredibly stable and runs like a charm (on steroids!) :) . Unfortunately, no data on how it will perform at elevation.