Mt. Chocorua - Piper Trail Maintenance

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooperhill

Reaction score
It's 60 degrees out right now but with December coming, my first year of trail maintenance is at an end. After doing a week with the AMC and trips with the Trailwrights and the NH AMC chapter, I decided to adopt a trail through the Forest Service Saco Ranger District. I picked the Piper trail on Mt. Chocorua partly due to its proximity to me in Nottingham, NH but also because I like the trail and the mountain. I adopted 1.6 miles of the trail from Nickerson Ledge trail to Camp Penacook and all of its 81 drainages. I didn't have any illusions that it would be easy but also didn't know how difficult it would be.

At first I thought I would be able to climb to the summit and clean the water bars on the way down. I found a majority of the water bars to be filled in with sediment and many failing. A few thoughts about this work for the past two months:
  • Hiking the same trail more than 10 times RT was much more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

• These frequent trips up and down the Piper trail in October and November enabled me to see the mountains change from early fall to peak foliage to the time when even the beeches lose their leaves. Really enjoyable.

• I don't do this for other people but rather because I really enjoy trail work. It is not work to me. However, the majority of people are REALLY appreciative and this brings added joy to the hard work.

• I enjoy getting dirty and having my arms and shoulders sore by the end of the day.

• My "Rogue" hoe has been a great tool and well worth the money.

• It is possible not to see more than 2 people in a day on one of the most popular trails in the Whites. As with all the Whites, depending on the day and the hour, you can see droves of people or no one else.

It has been a lot of work getting this trail in shape. Having done this for two months, hopefully now I can shift back into hiking although I'll probably bring a saw with me. If anyone has interest in adopting trails, I highly recommend it. Either through the forest service (Bailey at the Saco Ranger Station has been great to work with) or AMC. It seems to me that USFS has more trails available to adopt which is one reason I picked them.

Thanks for doing this! I love Chocorua and have been there twice, but both times I went from the other side. I'll have to try out the Piper trail sometime and check out your handiwork. ;)

Yes, it's nice to see somebody who takes adoption seriously!

One advantage of cleaning waterbars is that you can see the result, with pruning there's always another branch that now sticks out the most :)

Nice work! I also found it surprising how interesting it can be to spend a lot of time on a short section of trail. Rather than getting bored, you come to appreciate details on the woods and trails that might otherwise be overlooked. It's also great to get a sense of time in regard to your work, seeing how nature reacts to your efforts, and vice versa.

I too have found it to be fun and interesting to maintain a short section of trail. (I haven't adopted one, but I frequently help DebW maintain her section.) One gets to see the changes as the seasons progress. And, as psmart noted, you get to see the long term effects of your work.

There was a spot that was completely blocked by a large beech tree--it had fallen such that mid-height on the tree lay across the trail. Debi went ahead to paint blazes and left me to clear the tree. Over the next several hours, I disassembled the tree with loppers and Sven (bow) saw--it was an enjoyable puzzle figuring out how to do it and in what order to make the cuts (up to ~8in diameter). (I had to climb up on some of the lower pieces to reach some of the higher parts.) Now, whenever I pass the spot, I have a pleasant memory and look to see how fast the wood is decaying.

Doug

Thanks for all your hard fun-work. Every time I hike my buddys and I make note of new water bars, steps, trimming, ladders etc. We try to add our little part on the way up and down our precious mountains too! THANK YOU!!!

Last edited:
Nice post, and thanks for your efforts. Trail work is extremely important yet unnoticed by most hikers. Bless you!

THANK YOU for being a trail adopter.

I've adopted several trails, and am obviously among those who also enjoy doing trail work.
Your statement that "It is not work to me” is very telling. And so, there is no need for me to ask that you keep up the good work.
I feel certain that you will!

It is a lot of fun, isn't it!:D:cool:

I was talking to a veteran trail worker a few days ago, and he made the point that erosion control through proper construction and maintenance of drainage features is the primary mode of trailwork we do that is for the benefit of the environment, as opposed to the hiker ( brushing, blowdown removal, blazing).

I hadn't really thought of it in those terms, but it rings true.

Well done!