Mt. Isolation (#48) and Mt. Washington via Glen Boulder and Davis Path: 9/21/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooperhill

Reaction score
The plan for Isolation / #48 via Glen Boulder and Davis Path didn't take shape until the night before. I had done the Glen Boulder trail before and wanted to make sure I was I was feeling strong enough to go beyond. It had been six years since I finished #47. I'm not sure why I put it off for so long.
I left Nottin'ham very early and was at Pinkham Notch a little before 6am. I took off on the Direttissima trail at 6:15am. The air was cool and early morning light was beginning to reflect off of Washington. I climbed steadily and stopped briefly to remove some layers at the first view point. I was soon at the Glen Boulder trail - one of my favorites. I enjoyed the play of light and shadow on the trees as I quickly reached treeline and then Glen Boulder.

Refuel and layering and I was off. Thoughts of backpacks and hikes of the previous 47 powered me up and on.
  • Backpacking into the Bonds - waking up and having my eyes filled with stars; sunrise on W.Bond.
  • Meeting my then future wife at Pinkham Notch after hiking Washington via Great Gulf.
  • Meeting and making a good friend on Mt Monroe the July after 9/11.
  • Hiking the Wildcats with a bum foot after doing a day hike of Bondcliff.
  • Never having summited Jefferson in good visibility.
  • Lafayette in spring - reaching the top and having my breath taken away at the view of snow covered peaks.
  • Overall a mix of group hikes with AMC and friends and the majority done solo.

I quickly ascended to Slide Peak and some nice views of the Gulf of Slides and to the east - a reflection of the ocean. I dropped a bit into the scrub and put on more layers. I was feeling strong and now committed to finishing Iso. The wind was whipping at the intersection of Davis Path. Heading south on Davis, I enjoyed walking through the large patches of alpine grasses and views of the Southern Presis. I met a group hiking to the rockpile from Iso. We chatted for a bit and moved on.

Overall the trip down to Isolation went quickly. There were muddy spots and rotting bog bridging but the Davis Path was blowdown free. A few PUDs, some views to the west and to my destination... Isolation.

Huzzah!! took some pictures of the occasion, and enjoyed VFTT.

I can't describe the feeling I had in summiting but it was powerful. I'm not actively peakbagging but this finish meant a lot to me. I didn't hang around too long as I still planned to hike Washington and needed to get down on my own to make it count.

It was a steep trip back up to the Glen Boulder junction. Stopping for a break, I had a great view back to Rocky Branch and ravens flying on thermals. I'm always cheered by hearing and seeing ravens. The wind picked up again on the way up to Boott Spur. Not much to say about the trip over to Washington. Great views, more wind, and not a lot of people. I took the lawn cutoff to Tuckerman Ravine. The rockpile looks much more imposing from here.

I summited and stayed in the top long enough to fill up with water and have some tea. The trip down Tuckerman Ravine was long. A brief but polite LNT "alpine grasses / please walk on the rock" request. Met up with the caretaker at the halfway house and chatted about axes for a bit. Back to my car and Pinkham Notch.

11 hours and 4 minutes for 16+ miles. No record but no matter. It was one I my best days in the mountains so far.

I couldn't get the right sized thumbnails or inline images from photobucket so here is the link to the album:
http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/cooperhill1/20100921%20Isolation%2048/

and the Slideshow:
http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/cooperhill1/20100921%20Isolation%2048/?albumview=slideshow

I can't describe the feeling I had in summiting but it was powerful.
Yup! The feeling you had standing on that mountaintop is one that's difficult to put into words. However, anyone who has done what you've just done knows exactly what you mean!

Congratulations Chris on completing your 48!

Congrats!

Any day on Isolation is a good day. For it to be your 48th is awesome! Congrats!

Wow, 6 years between #47 and #48. You are a patient man. Contratulations on #48! Nice report.
Petch

cooperhill;3[* said:
Meeting my then future wife at Pinkham Notch after hiking Washington via Great Gulf.

[/URL]

I had heard the swedish bikini team was at Pinkham a while back. You are a lucky man. :D Congrats and you finished in style

Definitely an unusual 2fer. Nice way to finish the 48!

Of course the real question is ......How many waterbars did you clean on the trip? :p

Congratulations!

Glenn

Last edited:
Thanks all.

Feeling the way I did after 16 mi., I have great respect for those that are blazing 30+miles a day in under 12 hours.

Of course he real question is ......How many waterbars did you clean on the trip? :p Congratulations! Glenn

Thanks Glenn. No water bars. I was tempted to bring my axe but glad I didn't. Davis was all cleared.

Good job!

What comes through in your fine report is how you're feeling of being in top of your game and in command within limitations of home and family-life. It feels great to know your abilities (and to have them) and formulate a somewhat complex challenging route and then do it. Bon felicitations!