Musings about the Highland center

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a gas fireplace really worse than a wood burning one?

Oh yes!

Given today's technological reality, a fireplace is mostly for the aesthetic. Slicing into that aesthetic with "fake" fuel seems ridiculous to me. If Joe Dodge Lodge (or the HC) were my domain, I'd just have fewer fires than switch to gas. Although it's redundant to say, it's just my opinion.

My favorite fireplace is the one at the Waterville Valley Nordic Center. It is a nice, wood-burning fireplace, and it draws well and throws a reasonable amount of heat. I wish my fireplace at home worked even half that well.

Tim

Really didn't expect this thread to last long enough that we'd get to the gas fireplace on the list of reasons that the Highland Center sucks...err...I mean list of "musings". Stupid Jason.

The only issue I have with the Highland Center is, it doesn’t feel fart friendly unlike Pinkham. This however, typically isn’t an issue after a long day of hiking.

I can live with it.

Umm.. burning wood is terrible for the environment. Just sayin'.

Nice. I'm going to use the word "musings" next time I think something sucks.

"burning wood is terrible for the enviorment" come on, people have been burning wood since the begining of their time on the planet. This thread has been just so much to do over nothing--live & let live. If you don't like the HC--don't go there-period--it's that simple.

Who said anything sucks? And I agree that wood burning has an impact. I have in fact seen Dolly Copp at dinnertime from halfway up Madison. I like a wood fire; gas fireplaces are pretty much lost on me. But that's just me (redundancy aside). I never said the HC, or Pinkham, or the AMC, or anything else north of the Mason-Dixon Line, sucks. Just sayin'.

"burning wood is terrible for the enviorment" come on, people have been burning wood since the begining of their time on the planet. This thread has been just so much to do over nothing--live & let live. If you don't like the HC--don't go there-period--it's that simple.
Haha! :D I'm just being a smart a$$ because I agree this thread past its expiration date a long time ago.. and I wanted to see if I could rile people up, even after 9 pages. Don't take anything I say seriously, unless I say, "I'm being serious now", before I say something. :p Honestly, I haven't really been reading any of this thread until I saw the word toilet.

I'll keep to myself now. ;)

"burning wood is terrible for the enviorment" come on, people have been burning wood since the begining of their time on the planet.

I've been taking this thread with a grain of salt; however, I do need to point out that burning wood is indeed pretty nasty for the environment. This is why so many communities throughout the US now have "no-burn" days when you are not allowed a fire. Wood gives off a lot of particulate pollutants, and outside of high-efficiency wood furnaces you can really end up pumping a lot of smoke into the atmosphere. Natural gas and propane burn much cleaner.

Just because we've been doing it since time immemorial doesn't mean it isn't bad.

Agreed, wood burnig is definetly part of the air pollution probem (no need of starting a long debate about this) but the process of harvesting firewood, as opposed to the impact of producing natural gas & propane has a much smaller impact. My main point was how convoluted this thread has become :).

The only issue I have with the Highland Center is, it doesn’t feel fart friendly unlike Pinkham. This however, typically isn’t an issue after a long day of hiking.

I can live with it.

Great point!! Perhaps we could have a Fart Friendly rating system for mountain accomodations, a five star sort of thing except with a different icon.
This way we can avoid an awkward situation like the time I heard
little girl at the HC say..."mommy. that homeless man in the Gortex just tootered!"

Blast

--Bob - another one of those old people that understand the last few comments

OK, I'm responsible for a big chunk of this hijack, but let's try to focus back on the subject at hand or let this thread die a peaceful death.

Status
Not open for further replies.