Musings about the Highland center

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got alot more miles out of this thread then I planned for. Look, I never said the HC "sucked", I was simply saying as a hard core climber it wasnt my cup of tea. Yes, there are many people who might enjoy it, well to that I say, good for you. It takes all kinds to make the world go round and I will not be presumtuious enough to think my way is the only way, so in closing, I will say see you at Pinkham, where mountain men ( and woman ) still occupy the top of the food chain. Be well all.:D

'Musings' about the Highland Center, Guyot Spring etc. and the attitude with which they are mused about suggest a bad case of cabin fever goin' around.

a bad case of cabin fever

"Ear Ache My Eye" --Cheech & Chong

"Cat Scratch Fever" --Ted Nugent

"Bad Case of Loving You" --Robert Palmer​

Any of these will "cure your ill," but NOT THE HC!

The HC: "Bow to the Queen of Slime, the Queen of Filth, the Queen of Putrescence! Boo! Boo! Rubbish! Filth! Slime! Muck!" --"The Princess Bride"

No, really, I like the HC!

Ok, me, the newbie opens old wounds. I read through each and every post here. All I'm gonna say is that I like the "vibe" over at Ravine Lodge a lot more than I like HC. The well-run, yet VERY laid-back, bend-the-rules, we'll answer the phone if we're in, hey, just stay for dinner since you're here, rather simple shower stall, musty basement, old Appalachia from 200 years ago, eat with the trail crew, oh, didn't you pay?, what's for dinner; we'll see..., swap lies kind of lodge is my cup of tea.... :eek:

Last edited:
Yikes....I just read through this thread and when I was through, I couldn't tell whether the "hardcores" or the "yuppies" were the elitists. :rolleyes:

Can somone clarify for me what a "hardcore" hiker is....I just want to make sure I stay in the right places.:cool:

Yikes....I just read through this thread and when I was through, I couldn't tell whether the "hardcores" or the "yuppies" were the elitists. :rolleyes:

Can somone clarify for me what a "hardcore" hiker is....I just want to make sure I stay in the right places.:cool:

Hardcore hiker ie..... you hike every week at least once, twice is a much better standard, your vacations are in the mountains for sure, Weather is really not an issue to hike or not, body odor is perfectly acceptable at any time, your food pyramid, contains gorp, beef jerky and gu and such, youve eaten at least 1000 power bars, your christmas list is full of gear choices every year, you can identify 4 types of clouds and tell what they mean, you can navigate in horrible conditions at best, its about the summit then about fun, you can cross fast backcountry streams by 3 different methods and know when to use each, youve suffered some painfull and dibilitaing injury yet still hike, youve spent many new years and at least a few christmas holidays in the backcountry, most of your friends climb or hike, you have a 4wd so you can drive to the mountains when you should stay home, by thursday you have a good idea what your climbing sat. last but not least when you finish the 48k's your bummed out because there's only 48 not 4800.:D

Hardcore hiker ie..... you hike every week at least once, twice is a much better standard, your vacations are in the mountains for sure, Weather is really not an issue to hike or not, body odor is perfectly acceptable at any time, your food pyramid, contains gorp, beef jerky and gu and such, youve eaten at least 1000 power bars, your christmas list is full of gear choices every year, you can identify 4 types of clouds and tell what they mean, you can navigate in horrible conditions at best, its about the summit then about fun, you can cross fast backcountry streams by 3 different methods and know when to use each, youve suffered some painfull and dibilitaing injury yet still hike, youve spent many new years and at least a few christmas holidays in the backcountry, most of your friends climb or hike, you have a 4wd so you can drive to the mountains when you should stay home, by thursday you have a good idea what your climbing sat. last but not least when you finish the 48k's your bummed out because there's only 48 not 4800.:D

LOL, plus all these:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5410&highlight=addicted+hiking

Yes; touché...!

I don't think you can be considered Hard Core if you employ french words that would make Beavis and Butthead laugh.

I personally consider myself a Hard Core Yuppie Scum PBR Tolerant AMC sticker on my e300TD Back Country 4WD Shaft Breaking Father Husband Hiker Backpacker Climber Person. Dude. But I try not to be pigeon-holed. (heh. heh heh. he said pigeon-holed...)

Status
Not open for further replies.