My Dog's Better'n Your Dog, My dog's Better'n Yours...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OOps Uno Mas:D--His favorite post hike activity--Notch Lake--Catskills

Agreed - great thread, thanks for starting it!

Augie, our little cattle dog/corgi mix, on the summit of Carrigan:

232323232%7Ffp3%3C5%3Enu%3D3245%3E%3A%3A%3A%3E469%3EWSNRCG%3D323685%3B38265%3Bnu0mrj

Augie and his pal Toby using me for a pillow on the long trail:

232323232%7Ffp354%3Enu%3D3245%3E%3A%3A%3A%3E469%3EWSNRCG%3D3233%3A95676848nu0mrj

My beloved keeshond Oliver, who passed away this winter -
snowshoeing at Abbey Pond in VT:

ry%3D400

On his way up Waumbek:
ry%3D400

Ollie was a funny little guy - loved hiking, but hated to get his feet wet. His solution was to train my friend Trish to carry him over water crossings :D

I also have a Keeshound but she will not hike, she's content to take cross country drives in the truck or take care of the couch when Im gone.

This is one of those magic shots where you can learn a whole lot about the subject just from one picture.

That Dentists should never consciously attempt to strike a seductive pose ?

Here's one of Paradox's friend's dog (forget their names) with my wife in the background during the 2006 Flags on the 48 event;

P1010022.JPG

I have a few favorites of my own:

First Snowflakes, second day at home
ry%3D480

And its really hard for me to find a picture that isn't the two of us together, my best little buddy and I:

Moriah Ledges
ry%3D400

Lovin' that Adirondack mud on Colden
ry%3D400

Silly summit self portrait avec chien on Big Slide, Adirondacks
ry%3D400

Orca puppy
ry%3D400

How Aussie's play
ry%3D400

Not Terra, but her best friend Greta
ry%3D400

With Orca, Terra and Greta on West Mntn, Harriman State Park
ry%3D400

MIA VfTTers Jade and Carmen, what a great team
ry%3D400

Last edited:
Today's warm, humid weather caused me to recall the chill, refreshing days of winter and those bracing hikes in snowshoes and spikes. Tuckerman made his first real hike in the snow, back in February when he wasn't yet six months old. We climbed Bald Peak -- just a 4.5-mile up-and-back, nothing of any great consequence, but I've never seen a dog have so much pure fun, and show so much pure joy, as Tuck did that day running through the fresh powder. Not that he looks like he wants to rush right up the mountain for more in this photo taken at the end of the trail...

3301160462_312568705b.jpg

Then there is TREKKER who is exploring the world. Here is this confrontation with a wild animal while waiting for a ferry on Manitoulin Island to Bruce Peninsula.The 2nd photo is Trekker romping with Theo (his playmate) in the snow in Harriman.

Last edited:
Yeah, what he said. I pull more off me than off the three dogs in the house.
+2. K9 advantix for the husky (also repels mosquitos), and frontline for the sheltie as he spends time in close company with the cats (FYI: Advantix is toxic to felines) Haven't seen a tick on either one in as long as I can remember.

Which kind of begs the question: Why hasn't someone marketed a Frontline for people?

There is a vaccine, at least there was. I'm not sure it's being recommended much as the risks of the vaccine may be greater than the risk of Lyme.

No one suffering from Lyme would agree with me, they'd probably gladly have taken the vaccine, but the risk of getting the disease is relatively small and normal precautions are available if you think you'll need them.

There is a vaccine, at least there was. I'm not sure it's being recommended much as the risks of the vaccine may be greater than the risk of Lyme.

No one suffering from Lyme would agree with me, they'd probably gladly have taken the vaccine, but the risk of getting the disease is relatively small and normal precautions are available if you think you'll need them.

My vet told me that he feels the Lyme vaccine for dogs would work safely with humans, but it hasn't been approved by the FDA. That of course doesn't keep the ticks off you it simply would protect you from Lyme's disease. I think Deet is still the product of choice to keep the ticks off humans.