Narrow or Wide-Mouth Nalgene

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Edmund

Reaction score
Recently I lost a water bottle, and now find myself faced with a troublesome dilemma: should I buy a narrow or wide-mouth nalgene?

Please help me decide!

Reactions: arm
This could be as informative as the great spoon/fork debate!

Personally, I like the large...they fit nicely on my water filter...easier to fill. Not as easy to drink from, but I practice drinking a lot and now I have less of a drinking problem! :D

Wide mouth.

No reason. I have used the wide mouth ones for years and have several and I like them. I can also clean them out by shoving things into them if I need. Easy to fill. Easy to empty. OK, some reasons but nothing earth shattering. ;) Oh yeah. Fits my filter also.

Keith

Last edited:
both have their advantages - the small mouth allows you to drink and walk at the same without spilling any liquid on yourself, but has the annoying habit of dumping so much water in your mouth that it comes out your nose.
The large mouth avoids this problem by dumping the water on yourself - which at times is quite refreshing.

Large ice cubes will fit easier in the wide mouth bottles (for summertime..)

If you have an MSR water filter, the large mouth will fit the water filter output...

Jay

I find wide mouth more adapted for winter. It takes more time to freeze at the mouth section than a narrow one (yes mine are freezing even inside OR Bottle Parkas at cold temperature)...Sometimes it's only a thin layer of ice but other times you have to punch through the ice using a knife or something !

If you use the iodine purification tablets, it's much easier to get them in the wide mouthed bottle. Although I still manage to miss once in a while.....

Rick said:
Or you could avoid them competely and save $9 per bottle (and 4 oz per bottle) by using some gatorade bottle 16 oz and 32 oz..

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I use Gatorade bottles and various brands of spring water bottles with a sport spout. These easy open bottle also allow you drink on the go, whereas with a wide mouthed Nalgene, you typically have to stop to unscrew it.

The only advantages I see with a Nalgene are that you can pour really hot water into it during the winter, or ice cubes in the summer.

Marty

I use the widemouth year round.....first winter hike, I did NOT enjoy my frozen lunch or my water......the small opening was frozen as the water sloshed around out of reach....Most insulators and mesh pockets seem to fit the Nalgene or similarly shaped bottles as opposed to Gatorade bottles (I use those around the house and in the shop).....

I don't get this debate....I have around 10 Nalgenes, of all shapes and sizes...Narrow is good sometimes, wide others, sometimes small, sometimes big...lose one buy two more.... :D

Rick said:
Or you could avoid them competely and save $9 per bottle (and 4 oz per bottle) by using some gatorade bottle 16 oz and 32 oz..
On Nalgene you have measures for cooking though :D

Motabobo said:
On Nalgene you have measures for cooking though :D
One needn't need measuring containers to measure accurately. Learn the volume of your mouth. Mine is 7 oz. I can hold 1 oz in the palm of my hand. If I want to make a soup which requires 2 cups of water, I take two big mouthfills, then spit them into the pot, then add a couple handfuls.

Note that if you're making soupe for a crowd, it may not be a good idea to let them see you measuring the water.

Food? You take food? What kind of food?

Bass? No, bottles. Oh, bottles. Small mouth are easier to drink from and large mouth are easier to fill. In winter, close small mouth bottle tightly, turn upside down. Voila! No ice at mouth. In some stores they have small mouth bottles and when you buy the bottle, you get free Gatorade. How can you go wrong? :D ;) :p :) :eek: :D

JohnL

wide mouth nalgene or regular? are you serious?!?!? this is the second stupidest thread ever on VFTT ever after that stupid spoon/fork question. what is wrong with you people making me read all this junk, making me have to write a whole reply post to complain, i can't just ignore it, i have to say its stupid and write about it, i HAVE TO!?!?!?!?

dang! what is wrong with y'all?!?! mods!?!?! please!!!! do we have to read about who uses spoons and why?!?!?!?

.......oops, wait, i asked that spoon question :eek:

nevermind! :)

i say wide all the way, easier to clean out the science experiment you probably got growing in there, easier to fill with coco mix, slip in a tea bag and easier to deal with if frozen!