Need Partners for Catskill Winter Hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rik said:
Funky
I have interested. Let me know when you go and if it fits I'll go.

Hi Rik, Jay and I are looking at doing something Jan 8th/9th, maybe an overnight on Van Wyck. If anyone's interested let us know.

Last edited:
Yeah, it would be a fun trip. Camping space at the summit is somewhat limited (lots of ferns running around) so we would most likely share tents. I sent email to Carol but haven't heard a reply, but the weekend after New Years is good for me. It's a real nice (and EASY!) bushwack (open woods, no balsam slogs) from peekamoose road. There would be a short 30ft balsam slog from Van Wyck to get to Table summit but even that is avoidable if the summit is not the goal and 30ft is nothing.

The only challenge here would be the the cliff immediately below the summit of Van Wyck, which I think we should be able to skirt. The cliff, without snow/ice is a small challenge, probably one of the harder cliffs to negotiate, but Fred and I do know the way around. It is longer and would require a steep traverse but should be doable.

Jay

A traditional catskills balsam slog is like the stuff found around peaks in the catskills like SW Hunter, Rocky/Lone, Plateau, BC/Friday, etc. etc. Basically anywhere where theres a nice dense growth of trees, typically evergreens, Balsams, etc. that is a pain to bushwack through if one happens to be in that position or there is no other way.

As I read I believe in a canister somewhere, it is a good way to exfoliate the legs in the summertime. :)

Jay

Thx for definition..I guess that's where the tough clothes and packs are needed and a few band aids! Have fun..if all goes well that sat I'll go with the 3500 to kaaterskill.

Thinking of doing Panther on January 2...is this realistic? Without snowshoes?

So far, no snowshoes needed.. there is only a covering of snow, although I did not check if yesterday's flurries amounted to anything significant. As of 5pm, it was only a covering to about an inch. Just enough to cover some of the leaves from fall and enough to hide puddles of ice. ;)

There is a storm supposedly headed to the NYC area on Friday but it's also supposed to warm up here for it to be rain. Perhaps up north it will be colder and perhaps snowy, but no snowshoes are needed at all. Crampons might be useful depending on where you are coming from. Fox Hill Rd(?) off Rt 28 is a fairly gradual and steady climb. From the Slide Mtn road switchback, it is steep for short and a bit boldering before the intersection with the trail that goes towards Giant Ledge/Panther or if from Woodland Valley, there are some steep sections.

Jay

A couple of snowfall web links

HV Dave, You might want to check the following web links between now and your hike. These report storm snowfall totals for the Catskills, Taconics, Berkshires, southern Adirondacks and Greens:

NOAA Albany
WRGB rain/snow list

According to these reports Sunday night's snows delivered 6 inches at Slide Mt, 8 inches at East Jewett (near Hunter), and 6.5 inches at Maplecrest (near Windham). The reports are at valley locations, and more snow may have accumulated on the summits. Since there was not much snow on the mountains before Sunday, snowshoes are probably not yet needed. High temperatures are predicted in the 40s through much of the coming week which should diminish the Sunday totals. As Jay mentioned there may likely be more ice than snow and crampons may be useful. Panther should not be too difficult from either trailhead, but may be a little dicey near the Giant Ledge and other rock ledges.

HVDave said:
Thinking of doing Panther on January 2...is this realistic? Without snowshoes?

HVDave,

I was planning on doing Panther on Friday, but may do something else. Do you want any company on Sunday?

As far as the without snowshoes question goes, do you not own any, or are you just wondering whether to bring 'em for this particular hike?

Matt

I've got a story...

Halite said:
It's Ragged Mountain in central Connecticut. Not as popular as the Gunks, but some classic traprock climbing with some routes pioneered in the 30's by Fritz Wiessner shortly before his ill-fated attempt on K2.
Hey Halite,

When I saw this, I thought gee, a mountain in Central CT, no, it couldn't be...

I grew up in Monroe, CT, but my grandparents lived in Southington, at 999 Andrews St. They had a nice ranch style house with a huge backyard that sloped down from the enclosed back porch. They bought a telescope and put it on the porch so they could watch all the mountain climbers scaling the mountain in their "backyard". Their house was dead center in line with the middle of the mountain. You guessed it -- that's my grandparent's mountain!!I'm told the house is now a Colonial, and I wonder if there is still a small pond (it made it on the town map back in the '70's as John's Pond -- Grandpa named it after me!!!). From the house, the reservoir was maybe 300 yards up the road, and Hart's Pond was about the same distance down the road. Rodger's Orchards was maybe half a mile away, with some of their property within a short walk. Anyway, thanks for the walk down Nostalgia Lane...

mcorsar said:
I was planning on doing Panther on Friday, but may do something else. Do you want any company on Sunday?

As far as the without snowshoes question goes, do you not own any, or are you just wondering whether to bring 'em for this particular hike?

Well, we don't own snowshoes (wife and I)...and actually, I was gonna follow up with another question: Would it be easier to do Balsam or Panther? We may be bringing a buddy or 2, and they don't get out as much as we do, so I wanted to do whichever would be easier.

We wouldn't mind company at all, although we have no idea what time we'll be hitting the trailhead, and if the friends come along, that will only slow us down more. We usually like to get out early, but who knows. I'll try and talk to them tonight and guage an interest level, if it's just the wife and I, we can work out a pretty accurate time to get out...

HVDave said:
Well, we don't own snowshoes (wife and I)...and actually, I was gonna follow up with another question: Would it be easier to do Balsam or Panther? We may be bringing a buddy or 2, and they don't get out as much as we do, so I wanted to do whichever would be easier.

Balsalm might be a little easier. For Panther, you have to go up and over a bump (Giant's Ledge), and then on to the summit. The views are better on Panther, fwiw.

I have an extra pair of snowshoes, and I will have 2 extra pairs soon! Let me know if you want to try them out. They are all MSRs.

HVDave said:
Would it be easier to do Balsam or Panther? We may be bringing a buddy or 2, and they don't get out as much as we do, so I wanted to do whichever would be easier.

This depends on a number of factors. I did Balsam on X-mas Eve, and I posted a report on the Trip Reports board if you're interested. As I noted, the first stream crossing was a little dicey. It was right after a lot of rain.
The Oliverea-Mapledale is a steady ascent on both sides, and particularly steep on the east side. You could do the loop I did last week, or you could go in and out from McKinley Hollow on the east branch of the O-M Trail. The other approaches to Balsam involve going over other peaks first-Bellayre to the north or Eagle and Haynes to the south.

Matt

Well, I know this is REALLY short notice, but is anyone interested in doing Blackhead tomorrow (Wednesday,12/29)? Apparently my son doesn't think hiking with his Dad is as cool as it used to be.
Judging by the current conditions, I'll be bringing the load of winter gear because I have no idea what to expect on the North side. If nothing else, I'll get practice carrying my new snowshoes. The hills do look pretty white from down here.
Not a bad hike to solo, just wondering if anyone wants to get an early start and and a good view.
Happy Hiking,
Tom

I'm thinking of doing Panther tomorrow (Thurs) i'll already be up ther at villa roma..I'll try to check mail up there.

For a hike up Panther, you could just go up from Fox Hollow Rd off Rt 28. I believe it is a very gradual climb and does avoid some of the little ledges on Giant Ledge. However, it's a bit longer to get to than say from Slide Mtn Road and the switchback parking.

I think Balsam is easier than Panther, it's shorter and you could go and do Eagle too in the same day, in most conditions.

Jay