Never again!.......?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jn316

Reaction score
Although love for the mountains brings us to these forums, we may have had those bad days when back at the trailhead we say, "Never again!" I imagine that kind of a vow is usually more a reflection of weather or our frame of mind than the mountain or trail, but I wonder what could get me to go back to, say, Mt. Belvidere for that view of asbestos mine tailings from a littered tower after the buggiest hike on the muggiest day! (No doubt some others have had delightful moments on Belvidere.)
Trouble is, I have a way of recanting those "Never again" vows. I must have descended the Boott Spur Trail all the way to Pinkham 4 or 5 times "for the last time"...it always seems a better idea at the junction with the Link than about an hour later, as the trail wanders around in the woods, still far from the Sherburne trail.
So, on what trails/mountains have you vowed, "Never again!"?

And have you then recanted, and gone back, maybe finding it more enjoyable than before?

avk4316 said:

And have you then recanted, and gone back, maybe finding it more enjoyable than before?

I've said it a few times and I won't even tell you how many times I've been back!

Sometimes when the trail conditions aren't just right, it makes the trip seem that much harder. But the reclimbs have always been better.

I swore I'd never hike Cliff ever again after hiking it in late June '03 in nearly 90 degree heat. I swore up and down I'd never hike that mountain again. Then I hiked it in the winter. It was a completely different hike and I found myself enjoying the views on top rather than cursing the mountain...

Pine Link Trail

Only the section between Howker Ridge and the hut due to unending wobbly, ankle-twisting rocks. This
was several years ago. Never been back. Only conditions that would bring me back would be winter with
a good enough snowpack to cover the rocks.
-vegematic

avk4316 said:

I have vowed to never climb the Scenic Trail on Sawteeth in winter ever again. I plan to climb the mountain again, but just not that route in winter conditions. There's a reason no body takes that route in winter, unfortunately I learned the reason the hard way.

The Link - from the Castle trail to the Perch. I swore I would never do it again, I haven't yet, and don't plan on it. Straight down and then straight up. Nasty tangle of downed trees and boulders and mud. Did it during a monsoon rainstorm. Terrible. My friend Bob, who had just gotten back from the 10 months in Iraq during the first Gulf War said it was tougher than anything he did in boot camp. :eek:

Of course the first time I did Washington I swore I would never do it again. Hike all that way and then be surrounded by tourists eating chili and hot dogs. Ugh! Of course I've done it a half dozen more times and each time I swear I will never go back. I always seem to get talked into it by friends. Now Carmel wants to go. So I guess I will go do it again. But that will be the last time!!!

Vegematic - I really liked the Pine Link trail. It was all the false summits on the Hower Ridge that got to me.

- darren

all day rain events

I will never again intentionally hike in all day rain events in any season minus summer. It brings me down (Ask MEB) and I get cranky. Passing shower - no problem, get caught in a quick downpour and then it clears - no problem.

Hiking in all day in spring/winter/fall cold rain - I will stay home :mad: .

The Cornice trail from Edmands Col to Ridge of the Caps. But then I went and did it again! *sigh*, never again.

-dave-

lumberzac said:
I have vowed to never climb the Scenic Trail on Sawteeth in winter ever again. I plan to climb the mountain again, but just not that route in winter conditions. There's a reason no body takes that route in winter, unfortunately I learned the reason the hard way.

I swore on that trip in Summer I'd never go back, then it took me 10 years before I actually did.

cornice

yup, the Cornice might be at the top of the "Never Again" list. I've heard many weary rock-hoppers say "Never Again" to the Cornice. I've said it at least 5 times.
(Why do we forget?????!)

I have only done the easy parts of the Link (Amphibranch to Appalacia) but have always wanted to see just how bad it really is...as part of a redlining thing I am doing I will find out soon enough.

The one thing I have hated the most and will not do again is Washington when it is crowded...I hope never to hike it on a weekend in the summer or fall again...no fun for me. :(

After doing Deception, Dartmouth, and Millen Hill I had a number of scrapes, cuts and bruises and my clothes were all stained with pine pitch. I swore off bushwacking alone while riding my bike down the Jefferson Notch road. I recanted about 15 minutes later when I remembered that I don't have a social life.

David Metsky said:
The Cornice trail from Edmands Col to Ridge of the Caps. But then I went and did it again! *sigh*, never again.
Did it once when I had achilles tendon problems and couldn't support my weight on the ball of one foot. (Rock hopping off the heel of one foot leaves a bit to be desired...)

I'm in no rush to repeat the trail or the injury.

Doug

timmus said:
One thing comes to my mind : Shorey Shortcut. Never again. That trail is really a pain in the *ss.

Amen to that.... hiked it last summer and when I realized that I was needlessly going up and over the shoulder of Haystack only to lose all the elevation I had worked hard at earning on the way back to the base of Basin I vowed right there to never do it again (as well as a few other "words" that aren't appropriate to type here :eek: ). Of course I did it again this winter although it wasn't my choice.

The Link from Castle Trail to Caps Ridge. Did it in about 1980 and not since. Haven't done the rest of the trail. I swear "they" trucked in wet moss, boulders and holes to place just so among the many, many roots. Only time I've ever postholed for a long time when there was no snow!!!

-Weatherman

"So, on what trails/mountains have you vowed, "Never again!"?"

That's easy. That bloody boring lincoln woods trail. Boring with the exception of tripping over thos bloody railroad ties. :D