New Adirondack Speed Climbing Record

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom Rankin said:
This is not to belittle the accomplishments, (Jan unquestionably beat Ted at his own game), but it just seems like it should be trailhead to trailhead to me...

The record holder sets the bar. Anyone is welcome to reset the bar at any time they are able. Good luck. ;)

RoySwkr said:
Makes sense to me, does anybody know why CD chose "at the base of the mountain"?

To provide endless entertainment and discussion for generations of second-guessers and peanut-gallery detractors?

Congratulations to Jan and his team on a new record, it's great to see this record brought home to New York State!

WoooHoo!

Tom Rankin said:
This is not to belittle the accomplishments, (Jan unquestionably beat Ted at his own game), but it just seems like it should be trailhead to trailhead to me...

And, Tim also beat Cave Dog "at his own game" by finishing on the summit of Owls Head instead of Waumbek, I believe? :)

<see my ADKhighpeaks comment> Think I said something like, great feat and feet, or something. :p

RoySwkr said:
Makes sense to me, does anybody know why CD chose "at the base of the mountain"?
Actually, it's kinda simple, hehe.
It's what the previous record holders had done. Remember that record stood for 25 years before CaveDog broke it. When Ed and Sharpy did it originally they were teenagers and were just doing it on a whim as like a local camp challenge. They simply slept at the lean-to because it made sense.

Since these records have become more thought of and challenged in recent years we thought that changing it to a more reasonable standard would be the way to go if it could be done.

I didn't mention that Jan also hiked the whole way into and out of the Santanonis. Cave Dog got a ATV ride all the way into and out of that area going all the way to the base of the old slide. The first part of the road is 2.3 miles one way, I have never been into that private area but it is I'd say at least that distance more. The road walk with the crush rock they added years ago was the toughest time of the event for Jan, too repetitive of a motion. Climbing became the easiest later on once his knees started to really hurt. I had asked Sharpy about this a few years ago and they said they got a ride for the road section too and went to the Allen base. I asked if they used the slide too and he said, "NO!, but I wish I thought of it because we would of" :D

Tim, had an ankle and Jan had a knee. He almost pushed the event back because of the last training runs aggravated it. We did learn one very valuable lesson from Tim though, we both brought tons of Body Glide. :D Thanks Tim!

This is wicked cool. Big congrats to Jan. :)

The road walk with the crush rock they added years ago was the toughest time of the event for Jan, too repetitive of a motion.

The "easy" stuff always seems to be the hardest!
I'll bet the trails weren't exactly dry either... :p

Nice that the record is now owned by a NY'er.
When is a Vermonter going to own the Long Trail record???

Stinkyfeet said:
...Nice that the record is now owned by a NY'er.
When is a Vermonter going to own the Long Trail record???
Hmmm, I wonder who you might be thinking of :rolleyes:

Regardless of how it's measured, breaking a record is amazing. The feeling of being "the best", if even for a moment is something to cherish. It's similar to reaching the highest peaks: when nothing else is higher, you feel something special.

To all who strive to be fastest, go highest, walk longest, climb the toughest: you have my deepest admiration. Keep on doing it for the rest of us in the gallery to live vicariously!

Well done Jan!

Wow! Truly an amazing accomplishment! Nice that there is comradery and sportsmanship in the game! Kudos to you Jan, and the past record holders! Coldfeet, thanks for posting this so all of us can enjoy. Congratulations and thank you! :cool:

ColdRiverRun said:
Times and mileage chart
Imagine a 46er correspondent opening their mail and after looking at the return address saying to themselves, "Oh, how nice! It's from Jan, my new hiker. I wonder how he made out on his first outing. I hope Cascade and Porter weren't too much for him".

And then...."WTF?????" :D

Congrats Jan & your team for your amazing journey in the Daks!

You're a great inspiration to many of us!

Jan, YOU DA MAN!
Awesome accompishment and tanks for bringin' the record back to the Empire State bra! :D

Tom Rankin said:
The 'base' is subjective, and note that he (and Jan) 'stopped' when they summited the last peak. You still need to get down, and the top of Dix is a long way from any road.
I agree that "base" is subjective which is why I asked, apparently this was based on a previous event.

Do the 46-ers require you to walk down your last peak like the AMC, or are you done and can fly off by helicopter?

This was a fantastic trip by any measure. While beating the record by an hour was great, it would still have been fantastic if it had been an hour slower.

RoySwkr said:
Do the 46-ers require you to walk down your last peak like the AMC, or are you done and can fly off by helicopter?

The rules set for the ADK46 peakbaggers have nothing to do with the ADK46 speed record in it's current form. Much like the Wild Whites Ultra has no connection to the AMC other than using the same list of peaks. I doubt that either of these organizations will ever want anything to do with overseeing speed challenges if history is any guide.

The COOL thing is, that anyone, at anytime, is welcome to create a new challenge adopting the rules from either organization!

The Freedom of the Hills. Ain't it grand?