New Cog = Stupid

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! I never thought I'd see a thread defending those old engines!
I never felt too much attachment to the Old Man... my parents hyped it up when I was a kid and we drove all the way out to see it and all it was was this little tiny face that you had to squint at. I thought it shoulda been cooler. So, when it fell I wasn't all that upset.

I also never had any particular attachment to the Cog -- philosophically I thought it was ugly and belching but I secretly liked it. It just wasn't the "in thing" to admit it at the time. But these days I let it all hang out. And then when I saw that mechanical diesel horror driving up the tracks and then heard what I thought was a semi-horn blaring, I immediately started longing for the "good old days" of the ugly, smelly, belching cog. Does anyone know that song by Cinderella, "Don't Know What You Got Until It's Gone."?? I'm at work and I can't access Youtube videos but maybe someone would kindly post a link. I wish the dudes from Cinderella would make a video paying homage to the Cog with that song in the background.

-Dr. Wu

I don't know Wu, it was freaking hot climbing Gulfside up to Mt washington Monday and I was glad the quiet Diesel( Diesel's Devious Deed) : Didn't interrupt my music like the old one and corrupt the air with filth and soot leaving a sour taste in my mouth for my Southern Pressie run.
Not to mention the new one is faster than farmer!!!

Last edited:
Great, you people made me go look at the Cog website.

www.thecog.com said:
For those of you that want the nostalgia of an antique steam train, we run a Steam Special at 9:00 am each day. Make your reservations early as this is the only definite steam train each day!
They thought about you, Wu.. don't worry.. there's still some love.

Not to mention the new one is faster than farmer!!!
www.thecog.com said:
The round trip cog ride takes approximately three hours, generally including one hour stop at the summit.
I'd like to see a race between the Cog and Farmer.

www.thecog.com said:
Remember, some trains are fired by coal -- so dress accordingly.
That is a bit gross.

Eh, I have no strong opinion about it either way.

Thanks Frank, you now make me want to come back to a real fun and smart hiking forum.

I think the last whistle is a very good turnaround time.

Agreed....work must be boring today Frank!:rolleyes:

I ride the rails all the time and don't care what the fuel is. A nuclear powered train would be cool but I admit I'm intrigued by the pedaling locomotion ... why not add a paddling mechanism, like the old Viking ships, and harness that power, too. Also, somone mentioned hikers ... you mean people actually walk up that mountain when they could ride? :eek:

I've seen the new "Diesel" Cog a few times now and have come to the conclusion that it's stupid.
OK Docteur...
I've seen the New Cog = Stupid thread a few times now and have come to the conclusion that it's a stupid thread.

Why? Because no matter how many posts this thread runs nothing will change and nothing useful will have been learned. It's like commenting on the time it took for Io to revolve Jupiter 73 billion years ago.

Your friend,

Neil :D

There are arguments for and against the cog and the fuel that it runs on, but I think it's disingenuous to cast it as an ecological disaster. I'd imagine it's still probably more efficient than if all of the people riding were to drive up in their vehicles.

Speaking of which, this thread reminds me of something I was considering the other day. While hiking around in the Whites is itself a low-impact activity as far as emissions to the environment, have you ever considered all of the gas we use as hikers travelling to the various trailheads? Unless you're lucky enough to live near Berlin, it's probably at least a few gallons there and back. Just something to consider; maybe we should go buy carbon credits or something. Or not worry about it since most of the emissions aren't produced by vehicles, but by industry.

Or not worry about it since most of the emissions aren't produced by vehicles, but by industry.

Actually, most acid rain in the eastern U.S. is now caused by vehicle exhaust and agri-farming in the midwest (i.e., nitrous oxides rather than sulfates from coal-fired industrial and electricity-generating plants, which have had scrubbers installed over the past couple of decades).

For once I disagree with Wu and agree with those who are happy that the Cog has cut way back on the noxious coal soot spewing all over the mountain, even if it was not as huge an environmental issue as so many others.