Diesel Electric Cog

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The last couple of weekends, I have heard a new noise in the area on the west side of the presidentials while hiking. Sounded like a poorly muffled bulldozer going up and down the mountain. That and a tractor trailer rig tooting its horn somewhere near the top and the bottom. Turns out its the new diesel electric cog.

Granted I appreciate the lack of the black plume and the Sulfur Dioxide fumes, but is it my imagination or did we trade air pollution for noise polution? The steam cogs on occasion could be heard from a distance expecially when venting the steam, but the diesel cog is a steady drone up and down the mountain and its far more noticable. The new whistle is less noticable than the steam whistle so thats a plus.

Diesels can be made to be relatively quiet, my former company built power plants for commercial buildings on occasion and its impressive the noise reduction that can be had. The trade off is that the mufflers are very large and retrofitting one to the cog would defeat the camoflage that is used to try to make the new unit look like sort of like a conventional engine.

I wonder if noise impact was considered as part of the change over?

These observations were from the Ammonsuc Ravine trail and the Jewell so perhaps its a local issue, but what have other folks observed. Note that the old steam trains are still running so its easy to make comparisons.

So, how do others rate the change?

Isn't this one train, the first one, hand-built and effectively a prototype? Perhaps this is something that can be resolved with subsequent engines?

peakbagger said:
These observations were from the Ammonsuc Ravine trail and the Jewell so perhaps its a local issue, but what have other folks observed. Note that the old steam trains are still running so its easy to make comparisons.

I am curious too how far the locolization of the noise is. I think in the end it is going to never be like we all hope, but if it is at least localized then it is something I can live with. If it is a choice between the noise in just that general area or the black smoke plumes seen dozens ofmiles away then I'll take the noise. At least it is less harmful enviromentally.

Brian

Pollution aside, I always thought the sound of the steam chugging was kinda' cool.

The technology exists to make a diesel quieter, its really the motivation. Putting on a bigger muffler costs more and slightly reduces the engines performance. As this is a special application I doubt that there are any specific rules for noise output so it may require feedback from the public to establish what is a reasonable compromise. Being a prototype, there is still time to incorporate changes before they build up a fleet.

Pollution causing, maybe, but I still love the ol' Cog. It brings me back to days of childhood when we vacationed in the area and occasionally were able to afford to ride it. It's so unique and historic. I hate to see it change. The auto road doesn't hold the same "warm fuzzies" for me. Have any of you been to the Cog on Pike's Peak? We spent three days out there hiking two years ago, then rode in the train to the summit the next day.