New Google Map Layer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man that is a cool feature, thanks for the heads up!

Which do you prefer?

I am putting trip reports of my 2005 and 2007 (almost ready!) trips along the Haute Route on my web site, with Google maps (also links to .kmz files for those with Google Earth, but that is another story). Currently I have the maps in satellite view. This thread made me think of using terrain view instead. Both have advantages and disadvantages, and of course the user is free to change from one view to the other. Still, is there a consensus on which looks better, or which is more informative?

Clearly the Google Earth view beats both, as you can rotate and tilt to get effects that a flat map cannot give. But Google Earth is really unusable without a high speed connection, so I want to give something universally usable.

Are you making up Google Maps programmatically? If so, include a GMapTypeControl() that allows the viewer to pick.

Mohamed Ellozy said:
This thread made me think of using terrain view instead. Both have advantages and disadvantages, and of course the user is free to change from one view to the other. Still, is there a consensus on which looks better, or which is more informative?
One downside that has not been mentioned is that the Terrain Map type has a reduced zoom range. The highest it will go is 1000ft/inch on the scale in the lower left. Satellite or normal map view will go in to 50feet in some areas, 100ft in others, (4 more levels). To go in further from Terrain you must switch map types.

Here's Mt. Washington: here. It starts out with Terrain type at 1000'/inch and the zoom scale is already at the top. Clicking the "+" zoom does nothing. Now switch to Satellite (here). The scale is still 1000'/inch but the zoom bar now is 4 steps from the top.

The problem is be usability: say you start with Terrain type; the user wants to zoom in (to see who's sitting on the porch at Lakes :)) so he/she pushes up the zoom and nothing happens!! He/she must first switch to Satellite or Hybrid to zoom in.

Last edited:
prino said:
Michael J your avatar seems to suggest that cat lovers don't wear snowshoes!?!

Oh, I wouldn't suggest that - I love my cats and I wear snowshoes. :)