New snow storm for Dec. 16-17?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6-8" in Waterville, switched to mixed precip at 11am

But still mainly light snow with some sleet pellets mixed in for fun. Had to drive to the pharmacy in Plymouth, NH at 9am -- that was not fun. Rt 49 down the valley was at that point snow-covered both lanes, and it seemed that most of the idjits coming up wanted to take their half out of the middle.

Skiing was, however, a lot of fun -- 6 inches or so of powder with a little granulated sugar mixed in. My kids gave out before my knees did, so it's Brady, brew, and a fire this PM, along with a tree-decorating session.

Matt - Roemer (BestSkiWeather) is with you -- he's calling for secondary low to develop off the coast and much more heavy snow north tonight. Woohoo! Good thing we like winter, huh?

I've been really sick all weekend...couldn't enjoy the storm, blah

It appears the storm is pretty much over here. Heavy thump of snow from 4am to 10am, then a long terrible dry slot till 6pm, then heavy sleet, going over to snow till 9:30 or 10:00. Looks like its all done....very peaceful, and beautiful outside. Didn't measure, not gonna measure...I'll rely on the Hanover coop guy tomorrow. If I had to guess...7 inches.

I'm curious as to how much the Whites, Greens, Longfellows and Adirondacks got...esp the Adirondacks, actually. They appeared to be in the thick of it today.

Goodnight.

PS, Did anyone in VT get any thundersnow or thunder mixed with sleet? There were many reports of it...including in Barnet and St Johnsbury.

grouseking

Last edited:
I'd say about a foot here in Tamworth (just south of Mt. Chocorua). There was sleet for the last few hours, but with the wind it mixed in with the powder, so no ice coat on top...more of a dense powder.

WV resort reporting 14" of new snow...

That is more or less believable, based on the amounts on the valley floor. I had to shovel a path to my car this AM through 4" or so of "dense powder" (not light fluff, but not super wet snow, either), which was on top of about 8" down when we packed it in yesterday afternoon. I would say my unofficial measure is about 12" at 1500 feet.

Rt 49 was snow-covered and somewhat slick at 7:30am, but 93 was mostly two-lanes wet in both directions from what I could see.

A total of 8 inches in Hanover, 16 inches on the ground...not too horrible. The really heavy snows were further north and west of course. The backcountry weather conditions show one heck of a base, with up to 43 inches at Tucks, and 39 inches at Lonesome. More light snow showers will fall in favored areas today.
But considering we had a pretty significant dry slot work thru NH and VT yesterday, the Whites didn't do all that bad.

But the winners out of this storm where the Adirondacks, Canada and it appears, as usual, Jay Peak. Two feet so far. And this time, I'm willing to believe it, they had incredibly heavy snow swing through last night.

More snow expected this week, so lets go hiking.

If the snow conditions at Mt.Major/Straigtback Mt. are any indicator the trails up north will need some serious trailbreaking this weekend. While summit areas are blown bare to near bare, the snowpack, especially any not previously packed out from the recent snow falls (3 good storms in 2 weeks), is deep and the drifts are deeper. :eek: :D

carole said:
If the snow conditions at Mt.Major/Straigtback Mt. are any indicator the trails up north will need some serious trailbreaking this weekend. While summit areas are blown bare to near bare, the snowpack, especially any not previously packed out from the recent snow falls (3 good storms in 2 weeks), is deep and the drifts are deeper. :eek: :D

and more is coming today and tomorrow....and more in the forcast for next week.... :eek: :D :cool: :cool: :cool:

skiguy said:
and more is coming today and tomorrow....and more in the forcast for next week.... :eek: :D :cool: :cool: :cool:

Next storm is so confusing...right now it looks like a coastal Maine special, possibly extending back into central NH, and maybe down to Rockingham county. If the storm is a little closer to us tomorrow, it will throw back heavier snows further west.

I am in rockingham county and they are forceasting 4-8- Its snowing now...

I'v lived up here almost 3 years but the last couple of weeks has been my real welcome to New England....

Last edited: