Nin is retiring (for cat lovers)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He is all Maine Coon I think! Anyone who has ever had a Maine Coon Cat should recognize it. The beautiful feathery fur, long bushy tail, the hind profile, and the utter lack of awareness of one's own size and shape, and somewhat naughty inquisitiveness indicates Maine Coon to me. Mr. Tappy, when he was alive, always displayed a willingness to shove himself into any possible confined space -- as far as he was concerned he was a pair of eyes, a point particle that could occupy any and all space and could fly through the air with ease (not really -- many disasters) as he explored the reaches of the known universe. This guy Marty seems to have the same Maine Coon thing.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
I agree with the Maine Coon assessment. I have a black and white (tuxedo) male MC that could easily be mistaken for Marty in the drawer picture. They both have the same "nothin-gets-between-me-and-my-fun" attitude (unless it's food, or sleep).

-vegematic

dr_wu002 said:
He is all Maine Coon I think! Anyone who has ever had a Maine Coon Cat should recognize it. The beautiful feathery fur, long bushy tail, the hind profile, and the utter lack of awareness of one's own size and shape, and somewhat naughty inquisitiveness indicates Maine Coon to me. Mr. Tappy, when he was alive, always displayed a willingness to shove himself into any possible confined space -- as far as he was concerned he was a pair of eyes, a point particle that could occupy any and all space and could fly through the air with ease (not really -- many disasters) as he explored the reaches of the known universe. This guy Marty seems to have the same Maine Coon thing.

-Dr. Wu

Just got back from teaching an Edu-trip on the summit and meeting Marty, and I agree that he has all the attributes of a Maine coon cat. Marty entertained us on Thursday night by opening and crawling behind every cabinet door in the Obsy's living room. Then, just before departure on Friday afternoon, I witnessed Marty studying the water cooler upstairs in the weather room, which is described in Observer Kyle Paddleford's Friday report here. Yes, Marty seems to be fitting right into life on the rock pile. We also had many close encounters with the summit fox, whom Marty has not yet met.

http://www.mountwashington.org/

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Just got back from teaching an Edu-trip on the summit and meeting Marty, and I agree that he has all the attributes of a Maine coon cat. Marty entertained us on Thursday night by opening and crawling behind every cabinet door in the Obsy's living room. Then, just before departure on Friday afternoon, I witnessed Marty studying the water cooler upstairs in the weather room, which is described in Observer Kyle Paddleford's Friday report here. Yes, Marty seems to be fitting right into life on the rock pile. We also had many close encounters with the summit fox, whom Marty has not yet met.

Just checking to see if any new pics of Marty, and could not help but notice the incredible temperature inversion on Monday night (28 F on top, 8 F at base).

Dr. Dasypodidae said:

Marty definitely seems like a Maine Coon to me. Here's a cute story from the observatory blog.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
Marty definitely seems like a Maine Coon to me. Here's a cute story from the observatory blog.

-Dr. Wu

Great story; thanks for posting! I posted something on VFTT a couple of years ago about our hiking cat mascot Braumeister III (also a champion mouser) at Zool (Zealand Hut) when I worked there many moons ago. Brau once followed a hiking party all the way to Madison Hut, and came back a few days later with another party. He also commonly followed hiking parties over to the Flea (Greenleaf Hut) and back.

More hiking cat historical trivia:

I met two NoBo thru hikers in the Whites who were accompanied by their cat. He'd tagged along on the whole trip, sometimes hiking, sometimes grabbing a lift in a backpack.

About 2/3 of the way down from Galehead hut o.u.a.t. (once upon a time), I found a young cat following me. I had no idea where he'd come from. He looked very healthy. I picked him up and was going to take him home and start a search for his human when I passed a hut crew member heading up. Oh, he said, the cat followed you down, I'll take him back up. Apparently, said cat made a habit of hiking up and down on his own with humans of his choice, which is why they say dogs have owners, cats have staff.

Waumbek said:
About 2/3 of the way down from Galehead hut o.u.a.t. (once upon a time), I found a young cat following me. I had no idea where he'd come from. He looked very healthy. I picked him up and was going to take him home and start a search for his human when I passed a hut crew member heading up. Oh, he said, the cat followed you down, I'll take him back up. Apparently, said cat made a habit of hiking up and down on his own with humans of his choice, which is why they say dogs have owners, cats have staff.
Was this back in the mid-80's? Did the cat have "thumbs"? Max and I had a "hut cat" follow us down from Galehead, all the way to the bottom, as if he were a proper host seeing his guests out the door. When we reached the trailhead, he turned around and headed back up the trail to his summer home. Max may have pics somewhere, I'm guessing it was about 23 years ago.......

Madison Springs Hut also had a croo cat many years back

One summer many years back there was a cat at Madison Springs AMC hut. I remember being awoken as it bounced off my bunk bed (3rd up) on its way down in the wee hours of the morning.

--LivesToHike :D

PS I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Marty, the new summit cat yet. I hope to in the coming year. (I met Nin a couple summers back on a Hike-athon.)

Last edited:
LivesToHike said:
PS I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Marty, the new summit cat yet. I hope to in the coming year. (I met Nin a couple summers back on a Hike-athon.)

He's a spunky little fellow. The nice intern giving us a tour of the Obs in July said Marty tends to make himself scarce when tour groups wander in, but otherwise fits in quite well with the full-time staff. In fact she had to track him down and bring him out of hiding so the kids could meet him. Then he darted off and the little girl in my avatar (now over 2 y/o) chased him around a few corners in the Obs with me in pursuit. Marty gave her the slip and I ended up catching Alyson chatting with Brian Clark in his office.