Nin is retiring (for cat lovers)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motabobo said:
I always wanted to do a hike with a cat :D So it's possible huh :eek:
Over 20 years ago Max and I descended from Galehead hut with a hut cat following us the whole way. I don't remember his name, but the cute little guy had six toes on each paw. Once we reached the bottom, he stopped and gave us a stare for 20 seconds or so and then turned around and went back up the trail, back to the hut we presumed.

As for cats teeth, our vet cautioned us to keep an eye on our cat's teeth now that she's approaching senior-hood. He gave the name for the condition (which I can't remember), but in a nutshell the gums in some cats just seem to reject their teeth. He's seen many cats over the years lose all of their chompers, or have to get them pulled due to dental problems.

{{{DrWu}}} I'm so sorry to hear about Tappy-cat. I'm sure his days as a mighty woods cat in the Pioneer Valley will bring you happy memories to offset the sadness of his loss.

Dr. Wu...I am very sorry about your loss. I always liked you avatar of Tappy. He looked like a really nice cat and he was very handsome. I'm glad that he got to enjoy nice days in the woods and found his very own "summit" rock. You can't ask for more than that and maybe a mouse or two along the way.

dr_wu002 said:
Unfortunately, Mr. Tappy died very suddenly yesterday morning from hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which is somewhat common in Maine Coons so, sadly, I'll never have the chance to try longer excursions. Wonderful cat; very sad day for me.

-Dr. Wu

Sorry about your loss, Dr. Wu. Thanks for the link about cardiomyopathy in Maine Coon cats, as ours (named "Cat") was found stiff as a board without a mark on him by neighbors in their backyard, so we always assumed that Cat ate rat poison or something. But, maybe it was just his time to go.

David Metsky said:
Saba the wonder cat lived at the Moosilauke Ravine Lodge for two summers and she climbed the mountain many times. She'd follow hikers up Gorge Brook and then occasionally down trails that didn't lead back to MRL. Once she ended up in Providence RI, seriously. Don't ask.
She had the nasty habit of just lying down in the middle of the trail whenever she felt like it. And when we were building trail she'd walk directly under rocks we were moving. Not much self preservation instinct, but hey, she had nine lives, right?

She'd also go skiing with us by her home in Vershire. She had 7 toes on each paw, part lynx with all that flotation. When she got tired she'd climb up on the tails of yours skis and wait for you to put her in the backpack for the trip home.

I don't have to ask because I remember when that made the news here in R.I..

dr_wu002 said:
Thanks everyone, it means a lot to me and I appreciate it.

-Dr. Wu

My condolences as well. That was one beauty of a cat.

I've never met Nin, but I've enjoyed looking at the photos of him and the other summit cats. I think it's great that the MWO has a resident cat or two. I hope I get the chance to meet the new observatory cat and I wish Nin well in his retirement. This thread has made me very happy and very sad at the same time. There are some great avatar cats on this site and I'm sorry to hear about Tappy passing away. My cat, CJ, is 19 and was recently diagnosed with kidney problems. She is still going strong, but I know its only a matter of time until her kidneys fail. I've had her since I was twelve years old and its going to be very hard on me when she passes away.

WhiteMTHike said:
I don't have to ask because I remember when that made the news here in R.I..
I'm just glad I didn't have to drive down and get her, then drive north to meet her owner half-way. She was a great outdoors cat, probably taken by an owl in her old age.

That was indeed Saba, the story written up by her owner Dave. I've never seen that on paper, thanks.

Obligatory shots of Nin from many years ago - taken by Seeker:
slide14.jpg

nin3.jpg

Shame on them. The decision of which companion animal to a home should not be thrown open to the public. There are too many variables to consider when bringing home a new companion. People unfamiliar with the possible cats, the people, or the living situation should not be involved in the process.

Dugan said:
Shame on them. The decision of which companion animal to a home should not be thrown open to the public. There are too many variables to consider when bringing home a new companion. People unfamiliar with the possible cats, the people, or the living situation should not be involved in the process.

While I completely agree with your points on pet adoption, and followed that when adopting my dog, I do know that the Observatory and their staff has been working very closely with the shelter.

From my understanding, they have gone to great lengths to ensure that the cats to be chosen have the temperment, personality and demeanor to thrive in an environment like that on the mountain. From what I have heard from the staff, they believe that either (any) of these will be perfect and extremely well suited, and are leaving only the FINAL decision to the public...

Last edited:
w7xman said:
From my understanding, they have gone to great lengths to ensure that the cats to be chosen have the temperment, personality and demeanor to thrive in an environment like that on the mountain. From what I have heard from the staff, they believe that either (any) of these will be perfect and extremely well suited, and are leaving only the FINAL decision to the public...

Thank you for your insider's information; I would have had the same concerns as Dugan. If all three are deemed equally suitable by shelter and observatory staff I don't really have a problem with the public breaking the tie based on "cuteness". It's a tough call...they are all lovely animals.

That said, I think I'm in love with Marty...but can there be another "Marty on the Mountain"?

-vegematic

At the risk of being labelled a crazy cat lady (which I wouldn't necessarily deny), and since they all need homes, I say...

ADOPT ALL 3 of 'EM!! :D