No guilt needed?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jay H said:
You know John, the first time I read your subject, I read "No QUILT needed" and was like... why would John post about needing Quilts... I mean it is fall and the temps are getting colder.. but a quilt??? :D

I just thought this thread needs some levity.

Back to your normal dialog...

Jay

I thought so too. (I need to read more carefully) let me just say guilt is like a quilt in summer...it is never needed.

Now if you encounter a child eating a trail snack and you steal thier food, then you should feel guilty. However, if you are struck by free floating guilt and anxiety for doing something nice for yourself then perhaps you a candidate for an SSRI.

timmus said:
The ADK 46 list pulled me out of my ''cage dorée'' (sorry I don't know what it is in english).
Gilded cage.

Timmus, you might feel guilty if you knew the title of the Jimmy Buffet tune that commences with the same 3 words as your "location".

I too thought this thread was about not needing quilts.

I am currently working on 137 hiking lists. It's a meta-list of lists. My favorite is the ADK 46er waterway bushwhack list. You must walk in streambeds from your car to as close to the summit as flowing water gets to and back to your car in the water again. I prefer to do these hikes during a drought. The best is when a deluge hits just as you summit.

Another list is the ADK HH water body hike. You have to cross a body of water en route to the summit. I prefer winter.

Then, more on-topic, is the guilt list. You do something that makes you feel really guilty like cheat on your partner, steal money, lie to a child, throw a cat into boiling rapids etc.etc. and then you hike a peak.

Last edited:
Is this an online forum or a support group?

I have found that the only reason you would feel guilty is if you identify with the list-free peeps but you cannot stop peakbagging yourself. You don't want to hike with a list, but you can't help it. It is okay to admit that.

I find peakbagging to be very fulfilling. It is a good way to develop skills (map and compass, bushwhacking, camping, mountaineering), maintain physical fitness, set goals and achieve them, see amazing views and sometimes meet interesting people... all while working on a list. I don't feel guilty about that at all. At the same time, I'm keenly aware that not everyone hikes for the same reasons that I do, and I've learned to appreciate that.

I'm very curious to see where hiking takes me after I finish the lists I am currently working on. I'll let you know in a couple years. (Geez, I need to do 8 more Presi traverses... this list s*cks!)

Neil - I really do appreciate the fact that you're posting here (or should i be addressing this to Timmus?)

Yeah, i thought it was no "Quilt" necessary too. well, since i'm here

the simple answer (as i thin twas said in so many words before by another) is

only you can make you feel guilty (so look inward Grasshopper)

i have never sween/heard anyone putting anyone down for being pro/anti-list

only folks explaining why there are or aren't

so, have a nice day you ignorant list-slut, LOL...

:p

Neil said:
Gilded cage.
I agree with Neil. The closest English expression is probably, "ivory tower," i.e., a place far removed from practical, worldly affairs. Is that what "cage doree" means, Timmus?

Now, if you really want to be odd, replace guilt with quilt and then reread this thread. It is actually kind of funny in spots...

Life is too short to feel guilty (or is that quilty?) for anything. Enjoy your hike, whatever you hike, and for whatever reason.

Wherever you go, there you are! :D

Jay

Dugan said:
It isn't illegal. It doesn't matter if you head out for one reason and I head out for another. It doesn't matter if our reasons are in opposition. Have fun, be safe, no getting hurt, no guilt.
That's exactly what I meant to post, but my wiseassness got in the way.

albee said:
Is this an online forum or a support group?
Um...yes.

I don't read guilt in the posts but I do see defensiveness. It seems to me that some folks seem to have the belief that peakbaggers aren't hiking their own hike, or are owned by the list and therefor can't possibly be enjoying it! These comments often come out as an "ism." So, we respond to "baggerism" the same way we often do to other ism's, by becoming defensive and trying to prove there's nothing wrong with what we do.

I am a proud peakbagger and never try to "pass" as anything else;).

I'm a nonlister and I don't remember putting down listers. Hiking with listers has gotten me to places that I wouldn't have gone otherwise. Similarly, listers should hike with nonlisters, like salt goes with pepper. There's no need for a Dr.Seuss story.

I don't recall anyone putting anyone else down for being a lister or a non-lister. I think what happens is that when someone explains that they "don't get it" about other's reasons to hike, others wrongly take it as a jab when it's only an expression of their feelings.

I was been asked by an avid lister at Zeacliff weather I was a hiker or a photographer, since I seemed more interested in wildlife/nature photography than completing the 4k list. Can't we both be both? I wander aimlessly with two slr cameras, while she checks off peaks and always carries a nice p@s camera. We both end up hiking and photographing the same trails and mountains. I think we both came away from the conversation with a new understanding. We bumped into each other again at the spur path to Zealand summit and had a good laugh about going over to make it official.

We should be happy about our differences, and not take it the wrong way when someone extolls the virtues of a different style.

Happy Trails :)

Who the hell would want to hike (or do anything for that matter) in a world where there is only one "correct" or "proper" way to do it? I am happy anytime anyone gets enjoyment outdoors - I do not claim to understand everyone out there (speed hiking for example), but I also do not expect anyone to understand how I could get some strange sense of satisfaction out of a 23 mile hike to waterfall or hiking the Link - not everything is, or should be for everyone else. There is no reason we all cannot hike our own hikes.

Lastly, I would add that I have not sensed anyone really feeling any differently here - we all seem to like the outdoors and understand that each of us has our own styles and motivations.

I thought it said quilt too.

Guilt was something I was taught as a youngster so when I grew up (not going to happen ) I would give lots of money to these folks to absolve my guilt.

I didn't think I like lists, but thinking about it I do have lists - hiking the steepest trails in the northeast. I'm leaving for Kings Ravine now ( don't think I'll make by the crack of noon being 200 miles away ).

Happy lists to you, until we meet again.

grog