North America's Deadliest Animal

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What animal is North America's deadliest ?

• Shark

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Big Cats

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Dogs

Votes: 46 44.2%
  • Deer/Moose

Votes: 31 29.8%
  • Bear (black, brown and polar)

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • Alligator

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Snakes

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters

Chip

Reaction score
Without looking it up, what animal is North America's deadliest ?

I'll exclude humans and bees/wasps. They are by far more deadly than any of the animals in the poll.

Last edited:
Why did you take out the bees?

I thought it would be more interesting to just look at animals, aka the recent Bear threads. Depending on the list, and again excluding humans, bees and lightning kill more hikers than animals do, I believe.

Marty said:
I would have voted for rabbits. They are the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered creatures you ever set eyes on

Only the ancient European variety, thankfully.:)

I say Great Whites off the Pacific coast. Anything that could bite you in half is most dangerous in my book.

Although, if the answer is related to number of deaths then it's probably something as mundane as a bee string.

DaveG

Marty,

The science geek in me has to inform you that rabbits are not rodents, they are lagomorphs. Furthermore, my little fuzzy friend Luna Lu, who is a 3 year old mini Rex bunny, asked that I inform you that rabbits are generally neither foul, nor bad-tempered, and that she could never be fairly called either of those things ..... umm, most of the time at least. :p

I think the rabbits dangerous reputation is due to the movie "Monty Python and the Holy Grail."

I would have answered 'swans' if it were a choice. I worked for the Humane Society years ago, and swans were by far the most aggressive animals we had to deal with!

This is a bit subjective of course. If we included Alaska King Crab, then they might be considered "America's Deadliest". I'm surprised no one has answered Big Cats, yet. Freddie must not be watching.

This poll relates to deaths in North America as a direct result of interaction with an animal, by attack or collision.

Marty,

The science geek in me has to inform you that rabbits are not rodents, they are lagomorphs. Furthermore, my little fuzzy friend Luna Lu, who is a 3 year old mini Rex bunny, asked that I inform you that rabbits are generally neither foul, nor bad-tempered, and that she could never be fairly called either of those things ..... umm, most of the time at least. :p

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the clarification on rabbits being lagomorphs. I will never trust a Monty Python quote again, without verifying. :rolleyes:

Luna Lu sounds like a great bunny (and quite cute, too). :)

Best regards,
Marty

I voted for deer/moose because I'm assuming it's somewhat of a trick question; they don't directly kill people by attacking them (well, most of the time), but cause a lot of deaths from vehicle collisions.

I voted "deer/moose" by exclusion, as none of the other choices seems to cause many deaths (obviously IMHO). Also driving daily in the Whites I see enough "Brake for Moose" signs to take that problem seriously.

Thanks Marty! I try not to base my ideas about the world around me on Monty Python, but that's just me. :cool:
Luna also wants you to know that it's "Princess Luna" to you. :p

I'll abstain since i've previously done research on the subject. I'll drop a hint, though: (edit: nope, hint would have been misleading)

Last edited:
I voted "deer/moose" by exclusion, as none of the other choices seems to cause many deaths (obviously IMHO). Also driving daily in the Whites I see enough "Brake for Moose" signs to take that problem seriously.

I agree and voted the same. When was the last time you hear someone killed by a dog?