North America's Deadliest Animal

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What animal is North America's deadliest ?

• Shark

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Big Cats

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Dogs

Votes: 46 44.2%
  • Deer/Moose

Votes: 31 29.8%
  • Bear (black, brown and polar)

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • Alligator

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Snakes

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters
Thanks Marty! I try not to base my ideas about the world around me on Monty Python, but that's just me. :cool:
Luna also wants you to know that it's "Princess Luna" to you. :p

I would like to know whether Princess Luna is a hiking rabbit, like VFTT's large population of hiking dogs. I'm withholding my vote until I find out, since it might change my answer :rolleyes:

You forgot Manbearpig.

For Manbearpig the most dangerous animal was Al Gore...well mabe not just for Manbearpig...

By my own parameters (which included collisions): deer and moose (primarily deer) account for 4 to 5 times more annual deaths than dogs do. Here's an interesting set of facts on the subject.

If you say collisions shouldn't count, I just disagree. About 140 times a year someone wouldn't have died if the deer or moose wasn't in the road.

Interestingly, you're as likely to be killed by a centipede as a bear. Now where's the holster for my can of Centepede Spray ?

Last edited:
In my opinion, what is missing so far in this discussion is the element of proportionality. While I certainly accept that dogs and deer are probably responsible for the greatest sheer number of deaths (of humans) per year, it seems that this is mostly a product of large populations of these species and regular contact with humans whether through pet ownership (dogs) or car accident (deer). To me, the ability to reproduce doesn't really make an animal "deadly." To borrow an abbreviation from the helicopter search thread, I'd be interested in the POD (probability of death) in each human encounter with a particular species. This would send dogs and deer way down the list and put big cats and grizzlies and sharks and alligators way up to the top.

For my own thread-voting purposes, I'm going to throw out sharks since they're a sea species and also toss alligators since I can't really envision a situation where I'd get close enough and be so slow that I couldn't get away. Now cougars and grizzlies ... now there's a couple of animals that evoke FEAR, RESPECT and AWE. Probably also why they were hunted to near extinction a century ago. Additionally, cougars and grizzlies are two species that those who venture outside the Northeast could potentially encounter in their mountain travels. I can't imagine what a charge of adrenaline I'd get if I ever saw either. So who'd I vote for? How could someone with my screen name go with anything besides big cats?

Good thread.

To me, the ability to reproduce doesn't really make an animal "deadly." .

I disagree. If there are more of them and more deaths occur, I'd call them more deadly. Also, surfers in CA and fishermen in FL would not disregard shark and alligator.

Now cougars and grizzlies ... now there's a couple of animals that evoke FEAR, RESPECT and AWE.

Respect and Awe, certainly. But your fear would be misplaced, based on the numbers.

Good thread.

Thanks. It's an interesting subject.

Last edited:
There are some potentially relevant statistics in rec.climbing "Morbid backcountry/memorial: Distilled Wisdom (16/28) http://groups.google.com/group/rec.climbing/browse_thread/thread/bb9484c90afd993b

One excerpt:
Code:
Here are some death statistics for Yellowstone, from 1839 to 1994
(they exclude heart attacks and car accidents, which are the two most
common causes of death):

Drowning                      101
  Falls                          24
  Burns from hot springs         19
  Hypothermia                     9
  Indian battles                  7
  Accidental shooting             7
  Falling trees                   5
  Avalanches                      5
  Lightning                       5
  Bear attacks                    5

Doug

Well, wouldn't it be humans?

I didn't see humans on the list though...

Not as much in the US, but in Canada and Alaska, Moose can be very dangerous in rut as many know. I don't have the numbers but I thought it was one of the highest injuries/deaths.

-Mattl

What we need to do is put them all in some kind of thunderdome style arena and let them fight it out.

The last creature standing is the most dangerous.

Steer.
grilled_steak.jpg

Interestingly, you're as likely to be killed by a centipede as a bear. Now where's the holster for my can of Centepede Spray ?

I think Doug's link that list Indian Battles is funnier. Just imagine a camp director telling the campers that they are more likely to die in an Indian battle than a bear attack. So maybe instead of bear spray you should be bringing beads and trinkets to defend yourself.:)

I voted based on "attacks" like I think others did; didn't consider "vehicle collisions".

Not as much in the US, but in Canada and Alaska, Moose can be very dangerous in rut as many know. I don't have the numbers but I thought it was one of the highest injuries/deaths.
I was of the impression that moose in rut are wicked unpredictable, whereas bears (even grizzlies) will generally avoid humans as long as 1) you aren't perceived as a threat (they can hear you coming, you back off properly when you meet, etc.) and 2) they aren't starving. We can understand them a little more.

Steve,

You are correct, Luna is not white, but I also know white rabbits who are very friendly and sweet and would never ever go for the jugular even when provoked. :eek:

Willoughby,

Princess Luna is not a hiking bunny, I'm afraid. I bought her a harness when she was about a year old, but she pretty much freaked out completely. She likes to run around the house on her own, much moreso than she enjoys being confined, even in my arms, so there's no way she would tolerate being in a carrier. I've thought of all the options, believe me, because I do love having her with me :D. And now it's clear to everyone, if it wasn't already, that I am, in fact a bit weird. :eek: