Northern Mass/Southern NH Hikes with Dog?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikingBryan

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Does anyone know of any trails/parks/preserves on the Northshore/Northern Mass/Southern NH that would be good for a 2-3 mile hike in the woods... I'm looking for some trails to train the new puppy before we head up North to the mountains.

Lets say within 1+/- hour of boston...

Thanks!

Bryan

Why go so far? If you live in Reading the Middlesex Fells are basically just around the corner. Years ago I wrote Rugged Hikes in the Boston Area (Middlesex Fells). Note that it has not been updated for quite some time.

The Trustees of Reservations have many properties in the area, see their Reservations Locator Map. I have hiked their Ward Reservation and Weir Hill properties.

Also in the area is the Harold Parker State Forest, though I have never been there.

I believe that much of the Bay Circuit Trail in the Andover region now exists, though once again I have no experience with it.

Happy training hikes to the new puppy :)

If you're looking for something with a little elevation, Wachusett Mountain has a bunch of trails and if you go on a crowded weekend (less likely after November 1) you'll get the added bonus of on-trail behavior training as you pass by all kinds of people, some with kids or dogs or both. There are a couple of steep-ish trails, and one or two with some short scramble-type sections that will help build/test your pups confidence. The nice part is the network of interconnected trails allows you to adjust the length of the hike as you go. There is a leashed-pets-rule which I advocate following, but most people seem to ignore it.

The Pack Monadnocks in southern NH are also a nice place to hike. Again, a couple of areas where the trail gets just a tad challenging and will help hone your dogs climbing technique.

Traditional disclaimer: Take it slow, keep the distance short and very gradually increase it, and no jumps or leaps downward that could injure the still-growing dog. Oh, and have fun!

It is very poorly documented, but I believe the Sheepfold area of the Fells is one of the few places inside 128 where you can let your puppy off-leash. (Thus it is effectively a doggy bar, lots of furry friends to meet.) Cold Spring Park in Newton has a small area. Brookline also has off-leash hours in several parks.

But I agree with Mohamed that the Fells are probably your best place to start with more rugged trails.

The Skyline Trail (white blazes) in the Fells is a better bet if you want to give the pup experience climbing or rock-scrambling. The whole loop is 6-7 miles, but especially leaving from the Sheepfold parking area, you can combine it with the Reservoir trail quite easily to make smaller loops.

Sheepfold can get very crowded, especially on weekends - if you can't find parking there, there are a number of parking areas off of South Border Rd that make a nice alternative. In fact, I take Augie there almost every weekday morning. And since we arrive before the gates open, we park on South Border for our morning romp.

Let me add Dog Town on Cape Ann (Gloucester) as a fun area to explore. The old roads, the faint tracings of cellar holes, the Babson Boulders are all interesting. There are ups and downs and also other hikers as well as mountain bikers to help your pup acclimate to the trails.

Have fun wherever you go!

If you want to take your puppy for a more challenging Boston area hike before the Whites I would add the Blue Hills. Definitely more rugged and more vertical than the Fells, but only 30-40 minutes from Reading according to Google Earth.

The Trustees of Reservations have many properties in the area, see their Reservations Locator Map. I have hiked their Ward Reservation and Weir Hill properties.

I second Mohamed's suggestion for Weir Hill http://www.thetrustees.org/places-to-visit/northeast-ma/weir-hill.html. Your pupster will meet several friendly dogs on several of the trails, such as the Stevens Trail. My dog and I have gone here many times and never ran into a mean dog. There are nice views from the viewpoint of the Stevens Trail and along the Scrub Oak Trail.

Please note that the reservation has a pond and a lake, which may or may not be something you want for the pupster.

Marty

My beasts love the Blue Hills. You can do rugged or smooth hikes, Elevation or flat.
I would recommend you use a leash until puppy is well controlled by voice. Lots of people who hike are not happy with muddy paws all over them, and some people can be afraid.
Enjoy the hiking!!!
Sandy

In addition to the excellent suggestions, I'll add Leominster State Forest. 45 minutes from our house in Lexington. There are miles of trails and even some unmarked paths that lead to some really nice spots, especially near the Fitchburg landfill. :) You can print a map online or get one at the ranger station, though now that it is off season, they may be out of maps.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/listing.htm

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/print/Leominster.pdf

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the updates. Stella and I spent our first hike together in the Middlesex Fells, the rocky circuit path. Wow, not a bad little walk for around the corner. I wish I knew about this resource earlier.... Nice place to break in new boots!

To my amazement, Stella seems to be a natural. For a dog who is reluctant to jump off a couch/bed onto hardwood floors (yes, its the slip factor) she took to the rocks like a natural. It was great seeing her run around in the woods, following a trail, splashing in stagnant ponds, and scaling small scrambles. I am one proud papa!

We will spend more time "training" and will soon be up North! I can't wait!!!!

Thanks Again!

Bryan