NY - Q&A

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
OK guys, you've been talking, writing and PMing about the NY posts getting swallowed up on VFTT. We're open for business, so lets validate what Darren's been told about rebuilding the NY content.

We'll have some growing pains. Remember, not a place for trip reports, or things like gear or just general questions, unless there is a NY connection.
In our effort to accomplish this, the moderators will be careful that we don't do anything to harm the overall VFTT site.

Please tell your friends that NY Q&A is open for business.

Thanks,
Alan

Last edited:
Hi Alan/Darren/Dave

Not trying to be difficult...... I was just wondering if maybe you should make the new Q+A a New York/New Jersey/Pennsylvania Q+A, since a lot of VFTT'ers hail from there and hike there. It also might help those of us in the southern/western part of the Northeast. Since the New England Q+A contains multiple states maybe adding a couple here might be logical as well?

For instance, if I wanted to ask a question about the Appalachian trail In NJ or Pennsylvania - where should I post it? A lot of the trails in southern NY also cross into NJ.... just thought I might make a suggestion, that's all. Once again - thanks for all of your hard work that goes into making this a great website!

funkyfreddy said:
Not trying to be difficult...... I was just wondering if maybe you should make the new Q+A a New York/New Jersey/Pennsylvania Q+A, since a lot of VFTT'ers hail from there and hike there. It also might help those of us in the southern/western part of the Notheast.

For instance, if I wanted to ask a question about the Appalachian trail In NJ or Pennsylvania - where should I post it? A lot of the trails in southern NY also cross into NJ.... just thought I might make a suggestion, that's all. Once again - thanks for all of your hard work that goes into making this a great website!
I would like to lobby for splitting the NY section into a High peaks and a Non-High peaks section.

This could be done quite easily. I have many other suggestions for improving the site and my consulting fee is more than reasonable. You may reach me at 1-888-ADRONDK.

funkyfreddy said:
Not trying to be difficult...... I was just wondering if maybe you should make the new Q+A a New York/New Jersey/Pennsylvania Q+A, since a lot of VFTT'ers hail from there and hike there. It also might help those of us in the southern/western part of the Northeast. Since the New England Q+A contains multiple states maybe adding a couple here might be logical as well?

I think Darren addressed this in that big long thread on this topic. Basically, if I recall correctly, he said those are mid-atlantic states and this is a northeast board. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not reading that thread again.

VFTT has been in its current format for years. This was a big jump for Darren and large leap of faith.
The idea of the NY Q&A is to make the entire board stronger. At same time, not fragment it further. My job is to see if I can build this section with as little disruption to VFTT as possible.

Last edited:
Just one question, should the trip and events relating to NY be in this section or stay in the general Trip and events?

Thanks,

I think it's a good idea even though I also worrried about fragmenting the community. But since I almost always use the "New Posts" button, it won't fragment my view at all, and hopefully not for other members.

I would also like to observe that in the last week or two - since the discussion in the big thread - there has been noticable increase NY oriented threads started. I see 11 threads started in the last two weeks (which are now moved to this forum).

So thanks Peakbagr for seeing this through and thanks NYers for sticking with VFTT - you are family.

And of course thanks Darren for everything over many years.

NYBRAD said:
Let's see how this format works and work from there.

I agree. For those of us who voted for a NY section, we now have one. I view this as a positive step forward. Let's not muddy the waters or jeopardize the privilege by requesting this, that, and the other restriction/addition/, etc.

Dick

Of course some folks lump NY in the mid-atlantic section... Is this a can-o-worms?

For example, MapTech's terrain navigator does NOT include NY in their "new england" mapset, I have it because when I bought the NE region, NY was included for free.

I've always considered NJ part of mid-atlantic but some folks consider NY to be too.

Jay

I remember the better days when people from New York (and for that matter Kanada) shut up, and let people from New England run this place. (Lack of smiley face inserted here as I want to piss JayH off.)

Zero posts for NY, now that was some good stuff. I remember it like it was this afternoon. Oh, well there goes the neighborhood.

ONLY things that would normally have gone into the general Q&A that are NYS related go here. Not trips, events, gear, photography, paddling, or site information.
I'll be keeping tabs as there will be some confusion from time to time and I'll just move an incorrectly placed thread elsewhere.

And Dick, you've got the right slant. Lets get the NY members back posting again and thanks for everyone's cooperation and spirit on this.

Adrian-you have one twisted since of humor.

I think this section will do well. We have a ton of members that are very knowledgable in the ADKS, and hopefully they will make there way back here more often.

Alan-what are your qualifications again. :D

attachment.php

Courtesy of Jay's Avatar improvement service.

Now that is much nicer!

Jay

Last edited:
What is NY Q&E?

Is that NY Questions & Exclamations or Expositions or ... what? ;)

G.

Alan and Darren,

Thanks for the NY section. I will try to remember to visit the site more often. I need to work on getting my second green square ;)