NYC VFTT March Get-Together: Banff and Beer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
We missed getting together in February - I guess we were just out hiking too much. Gotta knock that off! :D :D

March brings the Banff Film festival to the city. Last year we had a good size bunch of us at one or both nights and a nice group that went out to a local pub after the 2nd night.

Here's the link: Banff in NYC

As last year, the films are at Symphony Space, 95th and Broadway.

NYC March Get-together:

Date: Wednesday, March 9th at 7:30 PM
Place: Symphony Space, 95th and B'way
Tickets: $20 at the door or $17 in advance at Paragon Sporting Goods, 18th and B'way
Drinks After: meet on sidewalk outside theater.

Please RSVP here so we know whom to look for.

Thanks
Pb

Horray, not on a Thursday! I'd like to go. Can I? Please?
(sorry, i don't get to go out lately)

I will do my best to make this one, barring any last minute work insanity like I had in Jan. I really liked last years Banff get together, hopefully we can get some people together for this one also.

Richard I still have that CD for you so I'll bring it along.

Just wanted to wake this thread up. The films will be playng Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. It turns out there are several places to get advance tickets:

Paragon Sporting Goods, 876 Broadway at 18th Street, NY, in person, by phone (212) 255-8036, or online at Paragonsports.com

Extra Vertical Climbing Center, in person at 61 West 62nd Street, NY (212) 586-5382

Peter Norton SYMPHONY SPACE, 2537 Broadway at 95th Street, NY, in person, by phone (212) 864.5402, or online at Symphonyspace.org

I will be going both nights but we will make a special effiort to meet with VFTT folks on Wednesay. But if I bump into anyone on Tuesday, who's to say we can't go for a beer then as well! :)

Please RSVP if you haven't yet, so we'll know whom to look for.

See you next week.
Pb

Hi gang and happy new year.

Trying to clear my calender for those two evenings. Will know by friday.

hikethe115 said:
Drinks after and not before? I think I'm going to be there.
We'll meet after since it's harder to get a group to gather before. For myself I'll be busy and will likely just get there in time for the showing. If people want to show up say at 7:20 outside, we could go in as a bunch.

Pb

I love the Banff mtn film festival, you'll have fun. I am seriously getting extremely lucky at them. Last year I won a National Geographic biography of Tenzing Norgay and this year I won 2 awesome prizes, an MSR Waterworks EX filter AND a pair of Leki antishock trekking poles (Cork grip, nice 3-piece Boundary model)...

Garmin also completely replaced my Garmin Vista that I send for repair with a brand new one, complete with another data cable and stuff.

Anyway, This is 2 years in a row that I won something at the film festival and I'll make sure I go next year.

As far as the films. I liked last year's show better, in terms of film selection, I liked Biscuit and the Front Range Freaks and the show on kiteskiing.

But this show is good. My favorite was about Jon Muirs 1600mile trek across Austrailia (south to north) unaided. That is a powerful piece.

Jay

It looks like I'll be there Wed. but not Tues. as I'm working that night.

I'll be there too if I can get tickets... (both days)

I used to hang out with you guys last year ..then stopped ... for whatever reason.... hope you remember me...

I'll be there for both days if I can get tickets today ...

Ciya there,
-Vivek

Hey vp3 good to hear from you. I am in the same boat as you. Seems I only do this stuff during the winter :confused:

I'll see a few of you tonight. There is supposed to be snow (it's raining now). I think Warren and Couchybar - anyone else? - will be there tonight, many more tomorrow.

Look for me after the show outside towards the corner of the sidewalk (95th & Bway). If it's pouring, maybe under the marquee.

Pb

We had a good show last night with 4 VFTTers (at least that I saw): Warren, cauchybar, vp3 and myself.

I thought the films were OK, but not great. I was impressed by the animated feature about the dog sled ("Hike, Hike, Hike"), and of course the house on the mountain top ("At the Ends of the Earth") was a scream. I was dissapointed with "Daughters of Everest". Maybe as Warren said later, we are saturated with Everest films. I look forward to tonight, especially the John Muir trek across Australia.

The wind-chills sent us home after the film last night. Tonight we will definately make the scene at "Dive Bar" afterwards. Meet on the sidewalk straight outside the entrance.

Pb