Ok, I'll do it... BIG SNOW STORM(s) 2/17, 2/19!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the wet snow is sticking to the trees creating quite a wonderland effect. I hope it stops sometime for a bit to allow for a few pictures. :)

Yes, that would be nice. Been a rough winter in that respect - my "winteriest" pictures of the season were taken on Nov. 29, before "Winter" even began.

True Patriot where were you going to ski? Anything in the Whites above 2500 feet will have a total of 2-4 feet by this weekend. Very large storm.
The quality of the snow is an important factor too. This snow is warm and wet and will likely have some rain in the mix, all of which can lead to an icy and crusty surface*. This is likely to be good base snow, but unless it is covered by a colder drier power, it may not be very good BC skiing.

* Fresh wet snow often isn't the greatest skiing either.

BC hiking and groomed ski trails will probably be ok.

Doug

Tomorrow the snow will become much lighter and fluffier into the weekend, so you will get exactly that!

Last edited:
weird storm, rain/snow line runs right up the NY border.

hopefully we have a fresh foot on the ground Saturday. I may need to practice my Biathlon technique in a local state forest. :)

43mph wind gust reported near Waltham. Some gust grabbed the downspout and whipped it right off the house, and the wind is blowing the water back up the roof such that it's leaking into the front porch. Joy. Whatever happened to winter = snow?

Drove to Bethel Maine this afternoon and it was an adventure! Heavy rain to Plymouth. Some sections of whiteout, immediately followed by torrential downpours just north of Plymouth. Was sure that Franconia notch would be a real mess, but it changed back to rain before the notch. From just north of the notch, through Twin Mtn, to the hill into Gorham, it was very heavy snow. Then just a few snowy spots in the higher sections to Bethel.

I've never seen so mutch bare ground along the road from Concord to the Notch in February before. Hope that it turns back to snow before ending, or skiing will really stink this weekend!

OK Twin Mountain should be snowing now! Whitefield just changed over.

Last edited:
:( Rain, rain, rain and wild wind still here in Bethlehem - new snow lasted a few hours only - no trace of it now. Still could turn around in the early hours, but it feels too warm out.

WMUR reported 36" of snow up in Kancamagus Pass tonight, so there is a bright side. :D

OK here is what I know so far, the snow that fell was elevation dependent and location depended. Seems the western Whites did poorly, and some northern areas too, like Twin Mountain and Franconia, while others have received some of the highest snowfall I have ever seen. The height of land at Kancamagas Pass, got 40 inches in the last 24 hours, and 26 inches in the first part of the storm, making for a storm total so far of 66 inches! Also places in Gorham and Randolph are reporting another 20 inches, with totals of 40 inches as well. I suspect the Hancocks and Carrigan are incredible right now, and I give a gold metal to whoever trail breaks them. Someone please get out there and take some pictures.

Now, the storm is not over yet. The mountains will snow off and on until Sunday, and new snow may be 10-18 inches, similar to the map above. Also winds on Mount Washington topped off at 134 miles per hour. Epic storm!

-Mattl

I have had at least 20" of dense snow fall at my house by Friday AM on the Gorham Randolph line, not a bit of it could be considered powder except by the ski industry. This stuff is dense and packs solid. I do not beleive it ever changed to rain like other areas.

The early birds on the trail tommorow are going to get a work out at least in the north country.

The Randolph Hill road is at a higher elevation and therefore their report of 24" is not unreasonable.

I repeat my recomendation to bring the spray on cooking spray or equivalent as this stuff could ball up snowshoes and crampons in about 10 steps!

This was truly an elevation event. Here in Littleton we had a brief mix of rain and snow at around 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, then all rain and wind after that. Instead of adding to our snow on the ground, over the last two days we've lost just about everything we had. Hard to believe that just a few miles away there's 2 to 3 feet of new snow.