old growth vs. second growth forest?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
forestgnome said:
I know where the Hemenway State Forest is, along Rt 113, and I think there is a "Big Pines Natural Area"? How would I find the Hemenway Pine?

I wasn't aware of a specific Hemenway Pine. Strangely enough, most of the large trees are hemlocks! But it's well worth a visit. The trail starts at a sign on the south side of route 113A, mid-way between Tamworth and Wonalancet. After crossing the river on a foot bridge, a loop trail diverges left, which rejoins the main trail to the tower in 1/2 mile. Enjoy. :)

D'oh! It's called the "Tamworth Pine". I followed the link from Jazzbo's excellent post to find a trip report from a member of the Eastern Native Tree Society, who visited this white pine, which is 150' tall and 16.5' around. No specific directions are included, but I'll just enjoy a day in there and I'm sure I'll find it.

Happy Trails :)

Last edited:
funny to see this thread, i was just out looking at the 'bradford tall pines' in bradford new hampshire. i attached a wikipedia link that says white pines used to grow certifiably to 230 feet, though they don't ever seem to get real wide. I guess there are a bunch of ones from 160 feet to 180 feet to be seen in various places. I looked on the national big tree register, and it says there is one in bradford that is 152 feet, tallest in NH, but it seems like that site might be outdated or incomplete.
here is the link for your viewing pleasure:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_White_Pine

Excellent Article on Old Growth Forest By Robert Leverett

I came across this excellent article about Old Growth Forests by Robert Leverett a definite expert in the field. It explains really well current thinking on concepts of old growth and how it's evolving. It's a bit long but worth reading if you've ever wondered about this.

Article on Old Growth Forests