Mt Flume via Old & New Osseo Trails 6/19/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzbo

Reaction score
Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kenne
Mt Flume via Old and New Osseo Trails

One more hiking obsession vanquished! Lately I’ve been accomplishing hiking goals that have been obsessing me. I’ve been bugging my hiking friends for years with suggestions and requests to hike the Old Osseo Trail. Mike S consented to join me last Saturday on my quest to traverse the Old Osseo Trail. I first got it in my head to attempt this back in 2007. The first time was from the north end, but being an AMC trip it was quickly abandoned. The second time I attempted it solo and had to turn back due to lack of time. The third time proved to be the charm although by no means an easy charm.

The old Osseo Trail begins from a western most switchback turn on Clear Brook Road in Clear Brook Condos. Turn left when you come to a fork shortly after entering the condos and follow the road as it slabs up the slope. The trail begins at 1240’ elevation. From my study of the map the existing road appears to follow the original route of the trail. The trail shortly crosses Clear Brook and follows Clear Brook at a gentle grade until it reaches a point where three drainages come together at 1600’ elevation.

The trail crosses the main brook and begins to ascend more steeply as it follows the valley of the right hand drainage. The trail passes through a blow-down patch of very large trees. Side branches have been cut to ease passage, but that’s all. One of the big blow-downs has a yellow blaze indicating the trail passes under it.

910473299_ov6Ti-L.jpg

After short time, the trail turns and directly attacks a very steep slope. We lost the trail at one point but quickly found it again. The trail has a definite treadway. The steep section blessedly tops out at 2600’ and trends eastward at gentle grade giving you a chance to catch your breath after a tough climb. Was this a regular trail, this steep section would quickly erode, but is fine as a bootleg trail. The trail crosses a slide and continues eastward until it turns northward into the 2800’ col between spur ridge and the main peak of Whaleback.

The trail now turns westward along a well defined trail into spruce-fir forest with occasional blow-downs. We tossed most of the lightweight variety blow-downs off trail. The trail then makes a series of short switchbacks as it climbs up and over the steep forehead of Whaleback. The spruce is scrubby here and gives glimpses of Loon Mountain across the valley. The trail becomes scrambly as trail tops out. The trail passes a nice outlook ledge at 3540’ where we stop for lunch and rest. This is 2300’ of elevation gain from our starting point.

The view of Loon Mountain ski slopes and big slabs of twin slides on Scar Ridge glisten in the noon day sun.

910478738_e6pDf-L.jpg

We’re rewarded with nice views of cliffs that ring the Clear Brook Ravine. This is a remarkable rugged ravine.

910479243_hctmW-L.jpg

In this view you can see Mt Flume peaking over the plateau.

910479739_ikLQK-L.jpg

We resume the next leg of our journey. The trail now winds through spruce forest and passes close to the edge of some cliffs that offer a view of the Hitchcock’s and other peaks to the east. We now encounter our first in a long series of closely spaced blow-down patches. We lose the trail in process of attempting bypass one massive patch. We head in a particular direction which we think will take us back to the trail. We stop to rest and refuel and check our bearings before we get too far off course. The GPS tells us the trail is just a bit to the east. We head east and sure enough there it is. I’ll say here Garmin maps shows the Old Osseo Trail, but the actual trail on the ground differs markedly in some areas. In this area it was fairly accurate.

The blow-downs seem to last maybe a ½ mile or so, but it’s hard to tell. The constant gymnastics of negotiating these really kicked our butts. Doing this as an out & back hike was out of the question. The blow-down frequency and complexity seemed to diminish as we worked our way up the 3800’ knob. The trail becomes tolerable again as we passed by cliffs giving views of Flume getting closer

910461720_HTeko-M.jpg

And some nice cliffs on the spur ridge followed by the new Osseo Trail, Owls Head, and the Bonds.

910462116_3mw4j-M.jpg

The last ½ mile of trail turned out to be downright easy. Someone is taking care of this end. We hooked up with the new Osseo and headed toward Mount Flume. We made it to the summit and were rewarded with pretty nice although hazy views. Bond Cliff was pretty well lit although not well enough to make for good photography. Better photagraphers than I have made pictures from this peak. I like this one because it shows Whaleback peaking up over the plateau, the starting point of our little adventure:

910467526_oTqoZ-M.jpg

We lingered for 30 minutes and began the 5.6 mile hike to Lincoln Woods Trailhead via the new Osseo Trail. This was a long day. We spent 9.5 hours on the trail for a 10 mile hike. Back at Lincoln Woods I proceeded to cross the bridge over the East Branch where I proceeded to hitchhike back to Clear Brook Condos. I was picked up by a hiker whom we’d met on the trail. I picked up Mike and we headed home after a brief stop at Mountain Wanderer in Lincoln.

Is this a bush whack hike or not? The trail is blazed with yellow blazes along its entire length. The first 2.25 miles is simply a bootleg trail. The ½ mile or more of trail through the blow-down terrain is not at all obvious or easy to follow even with the blazes. This section has been flagged as well. You could get into serious trouble on the somewhat featureless plateau if you got too far off trail. The blow-downs are relentless and trail is overgrown so it is exhausting. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you’re ok with off-trail navigation and with hard work of climbing over, under, and around thick blow-downs and muscling through spruce. The trail is still there to be found, but in addition to blow-downs, this section has grown in a lot so it’s very tricky to follow.

Is someone or somebody maintaining this trail? Nibbling away at both ends is more accurate description. It would take days for a big well-equipped crew to brush the blow-down section to make it easier to follow and is unlikely one or two individuals will ever be able to pull off in their spare time. Meanwhile bootleg trail to Whaleback is nice and Whaleback and the Clear Brook Ravine is an impressive area of terrain in its own right and is worth of a visit if you like that sort of thing. Seems to be a lot of good wild rock climbing terrain located close to town.

Jazzbo, this is FANTASTIC! What a great TR. I really appreciate the shot of the ledges just off the new Osseo Trail. We were exploring them a bit ourselves last year while doing work and trying to figure out the best angle of attack from above.

The last 1/2 mi you mentioned being somewhat maintained has been that way for at least the last 4 years, not because of us mind you, but we have noticed it.

When you exited onto the new Osseo, did you notice the big "W" and arrow someone carved into a birch?

Ray . . . that was quite an adventure!
Congratulations on accomplishing another of your hiking goals . . . and thanks for sharing.

On 31-Jul-2006 (nearly 4 years ago), I did an out & back trek on the old Osseo Trail. However, I only went to the point where the old trail reaches the main ridgeline. I didn't do the "full Monty" like you did and follow the ridgeline on over to hook up with the present-day Osseo Trail.

When I did my trek, there was only one small patch of blowdowns about midway between the trailhead and the top of the ridge.
Perhaps the old trail was being better maintained 4 years ago??

Also, I've been kicking myself ever since I did that trek for NOT taking a snapshot of an old AMC directional sign that was still attached to a tree at one of the points where the old trail makes a sharp turn. I know it was an AMC sign because it was painted white and had the letters "AMC" on the sign!

In case you might be interested, below is one of the snapshots that I did take.
Whaleback_SEview.JPG

Last edited:
On 31-Jul-2006 (nearly 4 years ago), I did an out & back trek on the old Osseo Trail.

When I did my trek, there was only one small patch of blowdowns about midway between the trailhead and the top of the ridge.
Perhaps the old trail was being better maintained 4 years ago??
That's about when I last did it, and again close to what I recollect. The trail was overgrown, but with a clear treadway. The problem was finding the treadway beyond the blowdowns.

From what I understand the trail has not been maintained beyond Whaleback for several years. At the time I did it some folks from the condos where actively maintaining the lower part of the trail.

The upper part of the trail gets very little use, so it will clearly disappear completely, probably sooner rather than later. No great loss, but those of us who have hiked it will miss it.

Old AMC Sign now and then

When I hiked Whaleback in 8/2007 I took this picture of the AMC sign.

2395426320088087945S500x500Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I was looking for that sign this time, but didn't come across it. I seem to recall it being right near the viewing ledge. I thought maybe I had found it again so I took a picture of this sign thinking it had been re-painted or something, but comparing the two I see this sign doesn't have the lag bolts and is on spruce - not a birch. So this is another sign altogether.

910480635_4WcCN-M.jpg

Jazzbo, this is FANTASTIC! What a great TR. I really appreciate the shot of the ledges just off the new Osseo Trail. We were exploring them a bit ourselves last year while doing work and trying to figure out the best angle of attack from above.

The last 1/2 mi you mentioned being somewhat maintained has been that way for at least the last 4 years, not because of us mind you, but we have noticed it.

When you exited onto the new Osseo, did you notice the big "W" and arrow someone carved into a birch?

I didn't notice the "W" carved in the birch. Must stand for Whaleback I suppose. I was surpised to see the upper end of the trail in such good condition. I distinctly recall Docross and I leading an AMC group down the old trail for probobly no more than 1/4 mile. It was raining lightly so we all had raingear on. I recall seeing rain jackets getting torn up so we quickly concluded this was not appropriate hike for this group on account of the many blowdowns we started hitting. There wasn't even much sign of them or even sawcut timber????

The spruce are pretty good size up there. Being ringed with cliffs I expect loggers found that plateau nearly impossible to log without having logs smashed to splinters. Storms blow across the plateau. So many blowdowns now it would take big crew to ever get it under control. Although it couold use some brushing. Not that I would ever have any interest in doing so.

Old Osseo Trail = Southern End of Original Franconia Ridge Trail...

Jazzbo --

Excellent trip report -- thanks for sharing this.

(I read the entire thing and didn't just skim it for interesting tidbits!)

I'd like to do that trail sometime, as well.

You know that the Old Osseo Trail was the original southern end of the Franconia Ridge Trail, right, pre-1950?

Thanks, again, for the post!

Great trail! I hiked it in 2004 as a loop and it was being semi-maintained then.....blazing stopped about 1 mile in and the bucket of paint was sitting trailside. I remember only losing the trail once in a blowdown area (as others have mentioned). It is a fun and unique way to get up to the ridge for sure! Great report!

Having done the Old Osseo a number of times, I'm glad you had the chance to see the whole thing for yourself. Over the years, we found it completely cleared a couple of times and almost impassable at other times.

South Whaleback is a New England 3K, so that was our main reason for going (1992), and I am glad we did.

We've also climbed the slide that crosses the trail on the long switchback and gives a view of Loon. It's wet and mossy, but fun, and ends under the cliffs below the path high on Whaleback.

Nice job, Ray!

It's fun to read a trip report on something that is unusual, like this. We did the old trail about 7 years ago, after I picked up an old AMC guide which had a description and showed it on the map. My friends weren't as enthusiastic about it as I, but we all had a fun time. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Thanks for fine report and photos, Ray. The Old Osseo has been on my To Do List for a long time, as I have not hiked it since the days before the New Osseo was opened (yikes, what year was that?). Eek!

Thanks for sharing, i doubt I'll do the whole thing but next time, maybe look at the top section that sounds easier to follow. Any views in that top 1/2 mile? (admitted view junkie)

Views in the top section?

Mike P. Thanks for the compliment. You could get to the spot where I took a pic of the ridge that new Osseo follows, frankly I don't think it would be worth the detour. The spot is not wide open for viewing ledge or anything like that.

It was a bit later than 78/79 that the new one opened... my folks had a place in the 'original' Village of Loon Mountain, and the trail passed within about 100 feet of their townhouse. They petitioned to expand VoLM, and then Osseo was rerouted.

Just before the entrance to Clearbrook heading east from Lincoln, there is a curiously flat patch on the same side of the road. it was formerly the Osseo (and once the FRT) trailhead. I don't think the original trail is the road. I've explored up a bit from the side of the Kanc, and there is still the faint hint of a path.

The blowdowns sound the same as ever up there. I remember walking many yards at a time 6 feet above whatever was down there on mats of blowdowns... I don't recommend it for a solo trip!

It was a bit later than 78/79 that the new one opened... my folks had a place in the 'original' Village of Loon Mountain, and the trail passed within about 100 feet of their townhouse. They petitioned to expand VoLM, and then Osseo was rerouted.

Just before the entrance to Clearbrook heading east from Lincoln, there is a curiously flat patch on the same side of the road. it was formerly the Osseo (and once the FRT) trailhead. I don't think the original trail is the road. I've explored up a bit from the side of the Kanc, and there is still the faint hint of a path.

The blowdowns sound the same as ever up there. I remember walking many yards at a time 6 feet above whatever was down there on mats of blowdowns... I don't recommend it for a solo trip!

I agree with you TroutBumNH. I just checked my 1983 AMC Guide. It says the new Osseo will be opened summer of 1983. I was mistaken about following road grade too. I think the trail stayed fairly close to Clear Brook from its start on Rt 112. I'll have to pay closer attention next time I pass that way to try to observe remains of the old TH.

Minor correction... the flat piece was the trail head *parking lot*; i believe the trail goes up the bank at what would've been the back left of the small parking area. The trail did mirror clear brook, and other than being interrupted by the bridge between the VoLM and Clearbrook (now entirely separate entities), you can likely get the add'l vertical from the Kanc. You have to go up and around the bridge, I believe.

When I last ventured up Old Osseo in '07, i kept going all the way to Lafayette, then down Greenleaf to the Profile parking cutoff... Made for a long day, but the ridge trail was autopilot smooth sailing after the blowdowns/trail hunting on OOT.

Mike

Just before the entrance to Clearbrook heading east from Lincoln, there is a curiously flat patch on the same side of the road. it was formerly the Osseo (and once the FRT) trailhead. I don't think the original trail is the road.

Correct -- the original trail is not the road in Clearbrook; and yes, the "curiously flat patch" was the trailhead for the Franconia Ridge Trail (later Osseo Trail).

RE: the opening date of the new Osseo Trail -- the copy of the AMC White Mountain Guide I have from 1979 simply says that the "trailhead may be relocated after 1978 because of private land development in the area."

It looks like it took about four years from then to get everything sorted out for the new trail, if the 1983 edition of the guide states that it just opened.

Again, the old Osseo Trail still appears on even the most recent USGS maps of the area, so one can see where the old trailhead was located and the location of the trail relative to Clear Brook.

Last edited:
Thanks for that excellent report, Jazzbo! I've wondered about this trail for a long time. Good to have the forewarning to save a little extra time if I ever get out there! :D