On climbing..

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leaf

Reaction score
I wrote a trip report last week because I honestly didn't think I'd be able to top that day by the end of this year's ice season. I don't normally write ones unless I feel like the experience is out of the norm or when I find myself raising my own bar on long, strenuous day where I wonder 'how did I survive that one?' This is going to be a trip report on my day in Huntington Ravine yesterday and I'm going to attempt to mix in my thoughts on climbing.

North Gully with Adam - 8:00-10:00 a.m.

I have never been in North Gully and neither had Adam so it was the obvious choice to start the day. For the day, my goal was to climb Damnation and North Gully. That would have made for a good day out. We started hiking in around 6 a.m. and by the time we were in the ravine, snacked and geared up it was about 8 a.m. The ravine floor was a mix of old surface and wind slab.. we made an attempt to stay on the old surface, something that is much more important higher in the ravine. Once at the start of the gully, we were deciding to rope up and make it harder, or stay solo and motor around the steeper ice sections. Adam at the start of the gully. I preferred to stay unroped, go light and fast, and that was how we climbed it. There were two fun ice bulges near the bottom of the gully and then it became a steep hard packed snow climb. The snow and ice conditions were perfect. North Gully is a crazy beautiful place. Looking down. As we got higher, there were less and less rocks and plants.. the pure white snow and ice steepened and you felt you were in a truly alpine environment. Near the top of North Gully. ~ This gully reminded me of being high in Alps where there's nothing around but rock and ice, but for some strange reason, it's the most beautiful place you've ever seen. You admire it just enough to not lose focus on your hands on the shafts of your tools, or that foothold you've kicked for yourself. Suddenly you realize all that beauty is apart of all you focus on.. your hand on the ice tool, your breathing.. it becomes apart of the same sense of beauty you see around you. ~ There was some wind slabs near the top and Adam went first, knocking off the newer snow for some old surface to sink his ice tools and crampons into. I stayed behind a bit near a rock to give him some space in case anything were to come down. ~ When I had my head down, breathing hard, watching every tool placement and foot placement making sure they are good.. I heard Adam's screws and carabiners jingling on his harness in the background as he climbed above me and there was a sense of security in that. Even though I'm fully aware that as we are both soloing, there's nothing we can really do for each other. ~ The top out of North was glistening. A thin layer of ice had formed on top of the snow. I never had seen anything quite like it. The view from Nelson Crag was very unique and we sat by the large cairn for awhile enjoying the weather and views.

Adam had to head down Boott Spur because his achilles tendon was giving him alot of pain. I felt for him, as problems beyond his control had to cut his day short. We parted ways on top of Diagonal Gully. It was here that we ran into Alan, who had just finished climbing Pinnacle and Odells.. twice. He was well on his way to climbing all the gullies twice in a day. An accomplishment that I stagger to comprehend as I listen to my own body screaming for water, food and any type of muscle relief with my feet half numb and half in pain having only climbed 1/4 of what he did that day. Alan and I headed down Diagonal towards Damnation. I wanted to climb it, but I have never been in that gully and I was hesitant to do it alone, especially with the looming cornices and the view of the steep top out I saw as we passed by on our way to Diagonal. The view straight down Damnation Gully. Alan was happy to climb it with me being he'd have to do it, and then do it again at some point in the afternoon. Down we went in Diagonal. The first of four times I'd do this.

Damnation Gully with Alan - 11:00-12:00 p.m.
We ditched our packs near the base, I lightened the load on my harness and we started up. There were two or three nice ice sections to enjoy, a little steeper than in North. Me enjoying a little swing time. The ice was like butter.. in fact we couldn't believe it wasn't butter. Alan going up and over some ice. My first time in Damnation was very fun. There were cool rock features and a great view of the top from midway up, like Yale Gully. As the norm when climbing with Alan.. I spent most of the time laughing at all the jokes and 'colorful comments' being tossed around. ~ I feel extremely lucky this year having the ice season I've had. It's been a breakthrough year for me. Although I still consider myself not all that experienced, having only climbed for three years, I feel I've improved dramatically this year. This is due to all my friends I've climbed with. I don't hesitant to tell anyone I owe my knowledge and skill to my friends who have generously offered up their own to me. Having those one, two or three climbing partners with whom you trust in and the experiences you share with each other on the mountain is almost as invaluable as your own self-actualization while climbing and reasons why you chose to climb alone. ~ We finished via a little rocky/icy route off to the right to avoid a potential steep snow slog. Alan on the finish. It was a great little mix route that ended too abruptly for me. Picture of me on the finish. But the abrupt ending yielded a fantastic view of the cornices overhanging Damnation. The cornices of Damnation. Alan at the top of the gully, 5 climbed, 5 to go. I felt satisfied having finally been in all the gullies in Huntington Ravine and received a congratulations. But it being only noon.. my mind started working up some plans for my body to endure.

We downclimbed Diagonal, yet again, and I grabbed my pack and decided to head up Yale Gully alone. Alan went off to climb North Gully, then Yale. We'd met up again at the top of Diagonal Gully after he had climbed two in my one.

Yale Gully with myself - 12:30-1:30 p.m.
~ I had only seriously started climbing solo this year.. although I have always been drawn to the feeling. I didn't discover exactly how it felt until recently. I don't solo anything hard, and there's plenty of people who wander around Huntington Ravine without ropes as well. It's certainly nothing extraordinary. But I feel as though an amateur like myself can get the same sense of freedom as an expert climber. Besides, that's why we do it and if I didn't get that sense.. I wouldn't be climbing. For me, there is perfect beauty in the movements of climbing and it is only heightened when climbing without ropes. The only thing keeping you on the mountain is yourself and how you move. You are completely responsible for yourself. You can't be sloppy or lose focus. You need to be good. ~ There was one other person in the gully that I passed after getting to the top of the first ice bulge. Then I was by myself and I relished in that. The snow was still hard and holding up well despite the temperature rising quickly in the ravine. Near the top of Yale, there was the thin shining layer of ice near the top as North Gully. The exposure became greater as the rocks disappeared and the angle steepened. Near the top of Yale Gully. I was the only one around and I felt my grip tighten on my tools. I had one of those 'if I peel off the mountain now, I'm gone' thoughts flash in and out of my brain. Looking down Yale. I moved methodically up. As a bit of adrenaline rushed through my body, my smile only got wider. Going over the lip of the ravine, literally, was very exciting. I reveled in the day as I stood on top.

Last edited:
Central Gully with myself - 2:00-3:30 p.m.
After heading down Diagonal, again, with Alan.. I told him I was going to head up Central. I felt tired but good and excited to be able to climb one more gully. I knew it was going to be a slow one for me. Resting periods between steps were increasing and my feet became a little problematic. Half of my foot was numb and the other in alot of pain. I wasn't sure what the heck was going on but I was much too determined to get up Central. I'd deal with it later. Alan was going to do his final laps of Damnation and Yale.

Central was filled with alot of fun ice which surprised me as it did last weekend. There was equal amounts of ice and snow in this gully so I was able to get in alot of swings. There were two roped parties of two and three on their first and second pitches. They were a good group of guys and I stopped and chatted with each of them as I climbed passed them. It was good talking with them and I needed the relief big time as I rested. My calves felt like a ton of bricks and my feet were screaming. It took me an hour and a half to finally top out. At this point, there was no wind up high.. it had been diminishing throughout the day. Clear skies continued and I felt a sense of accomplishment and I felt in shape and really good having climbed more that day then any other day this season. My tools awaiting more action by Central's cairn.

My downclimb of Diagonal for the fourth time was tedious as hell. I just wanted to be down at that point. But the down came and as I stopped to sit on a big boulder near the ravine floor to relieve my feet for a bit. Then I saw Alan come into view nearing the bottom of Diagonal. A quick shout of a few words let me know he was off to climb North Gully for the last time, completing his goal of climbing all the gullies twice in one day. Just incredible.

The sun was now behind Pinnacle Buttress and an awesome deep blue filled the ravine. Late afternoon in Huntington is a beautiful sight. I snapped some pictures and headed out. Huntington Ravine late in the afternoon.

~ I wanted to add some of Alan's day with my own.. he is at an entirely different level of climbing than I am, although I like to think an amateur and a expert find alot of common ground in the reasons why they climb and the feelings they extract from being on the mountain. The silence only being broken by the sound of metal in ice and breathing. That and laughter from stupid jokes and conversation with your partner on the way up. I'll end by repeating what I said before.. in that the free movement of climbing, for me, is perfection. Something I cannot achieve in my everyday life or anywhere else. I strive for nothing than to get better at those movements. Add the great exposure, both of your physical environmental and your internal emotions, and the self-reliance of solo climbing. It is a sure addiction for me. ~

I've been spending a good deal of time reflecting on this past year and I wanted to write this trip report to share with you as the ice season seems to be winding down. Thank you for reading this and I hope you enjoyed it.

All the pictures from the day.

Last edited:
I really like these gully reports and pics. In fact, it looks right up my alley.

Just wondering, what are some of the gullies like in summer? Treadmill scree? Fragile vegetation?

Nice work Court! Sounds like you're more than ready to come over and climb Lib Ridge this Spring ;)

Hey Neil, here's some pics to give you an idea. I took these in November. I haven't been in the ravine in summer time, believe it or not.

Talus/boulder field in the ravine floor
Odells Gully
Central Gully
Yale Gully
North Gully
Looking across to the northern gullies from the summer trail

Yeah, it's a mix of all that stuff. There's some cool rock climbs (i.e. up Pinnacle Buttress, up the ridge near North Gully) that's on my list for this summer.

You should head into Hunts and do the summer trail.. alot of cool scrambling!

cbcbd, don't tempt me! Oh wait, yeah, tempt me. :D

Last edited:
Although I don't do any climbing, I do appreciate the trip reports/stories/etc. and, of course, the photographs.

Please keep posting them!

I don’t think there are enough women mountaineer/alpinists. I like what you’re doing and how you’re doing it. :)

Nicely Done Court. Nice write up too.

Chicks w/ Picks Rule… :D

for cry'in out loud you're such a slacker & without a soul to boot.... but you make pretty pictures.

your an inspiration for living real.

Hey Neil, here's some pics to give you an idea. I took these in November. I haven't been in the ravine in summer time, believe it or not.

Talus/boulder field in the ravine floor
Odells Gully
Central Gully
Yale Gully
North Gully
Looking across to the northern gullies from the summer trail

Yeah, it's a mix of all that stuff. There's some cool rock climbs (i.e. up Pinnacle Buttress, up the ridge near North Gully) that's on my list for this summer.

You should head into Hunts and do the summer trail.. alot of cool scrambling!

cbcbd, don't tempt me! Oh wait, yeah, tempt me. :D
Could you give us a rough guess on elevation gain and the angle of ascent of those bad boys?

SOOOO Jealous!
I was going to suggest we do some stuff next year, but I think you are out of my league!!!
I had to stop climbing (and everything else) in mid January thanks to an annoying knee.
You are a major inspiration!!!!
Did you ever do CWP?
Sandy

Could you give us a rough guess on elevation gain and the angle of ascent of those bad boys?
With snowshoes or by postholing? ;)

Information gathered from websites by local guides (Art Mooney, Marc Chauvin) and Summitpost (take with a grain of salt). All approximate since it varies given the time of year, conditions, etc.

Elevation Gains:
Pinkham to the floor of Huntington Ravine: ~2,100 ft
From the floor up the lower snow slopes to the base of a climb: ~400 ft
From the base of the climbs to the top out: ~900 ft average

Angle of Ascent:
Lower snow slopes: 30-35
North and Damnation: up to 60
Yale: 45-55
Central: 40-50
Pinnacle: first pitch is 60 by it's easiest line, then ~45
Odells: 30-60+ depending on what line you take. It's a wide gully with a few options.
Diagonal: ~45

The upper end of the degree are the ice bulges that form in the gullies.. the lower end is usually the hard-pack snow climbing.

Last edited:
Good stuff, leaf! Did you see any pinheads skiing Central while you were in the Ravine? And, I thought that the lower ice bulge in Damnation was close to vertical, albiet only a couple or three moves (maybe it is my memory playing tricks)? I always considered the right side of Odells as steep as Pinnacle, as you noted, but Pinnacle is so much more enclosed and intimidating, in my opinion.

The various Pinnacle buttess rock climbs are super, with one variation as easy as 5.4-5.6, but with a so much finer alpine setting compared to various more popular cliffs in the Northeast, I think.

South Basin on Katahdin is calling you for next winter! :)

Thanks for taking the time to write up this report! I'm not a climber, but I always really enjoy reading your climbing reports/adventures. Makes me want to give this stuff a try someday.
Your great pictures are a bonus too!

Court,
You are kicking butt! :D No wonder I feel like an old man! I have enough trouble doing one gully in a day! Maybe I need to lighten my load and dump the rope and screws!
Way to go!!
Woody

Did you see any pinheads skiing Central while you were in the Ravine? And, I thought that the lower ice bulge in Damnation was close to vertical, albiet only a couple or three moves (maybe it is my memory playing tricks)? I always considered the right side of Odells as steep as Pinnacle, as you noted, but Pinnacle is so much more enclosed and intimidating, in my opinion.
I didn't see any skiing pinheads in Central itself, although I saw a bunch of skiiers playing in the ravine all day and I heard the swishing from up high in the ravine! I assume you were among them? :)

The lower ice bulge was a bit steep! But yes, only 4-5 moves or so and we were up it. And I agree with you! I need to get Pinnacle off my own intimidation list if I'm ever going to try and do all of these in a day.

Thanks Woody! And get rid of that kitchen sink while you are at it! ;) You've been one of those friends that have helped me be a better climber over these past few rock and ice seasons. Not an old man, a wise one. :D