One last weekend in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FARMER

Reaction score
Since I'm leaving tomorrow to go try my hand at fell running in the UK for a few months I figured I'd give a quick report on this past weekend. Friday night I headed up to Franconia Notch to try to set a PR on the classic loop. I wanted to break two hours And was able to run 2:05:11 even after making the poor choice of going up OBP and down Falling waters and dealing with a fair amount of lingering snow. Oh well it was a beautiful day and a great little workout. That night rob amd I met in Randolph and got a quick four hours sleep(sleep deprivation training) and headed out to tackle a double pressie traverse. The plan was to start at madison via the Howker ridge trail and meet up with Jason and LRiz at Pierce and they would head back with us. We got to Pierce at noon which was our meetup time and noone was around we decided to bail down crawford path and try our hand at a sizeable hitchhike back to the dolly copp rd. We got there pretty quickly with three seperate rides thanks to the good looks of Sasquatch. We headed for Moat mt for some food and then drove to Waterville campground where Jason and Gillian had a site. It didn't take long for Jason to reveal his new obscure loop hike that he had conjured up for us to tackle. After some breakfast at jugtown and dropping a car at Livermore Rd we headed for the the Sandwich Mt trail for a 10:15 start. The climb was quick up to Noon peak and up the ridge to the dome then it was into unfamiliar terrirtory for all of us. We descended the Bennet street trail took a left onto Flat mountain pond trail then headed up the Mcrillis trail to Bluberry ledge trail, then across the sleepers down the south slide and out Livermore road to the car. What a fantastic route and one I'm sure the guys will be training on while I'm gone. I think the loop was 28 miles and about 6000 ft of gain.

I'll be back in the fall with a fresh to do list. For now though I hear they have speed records and ultras in the UK as well ;)

Rob and Jason you guys are $%* and F@^&*T

Sounds great, Farmer. The Brits are definitely as crazed about endurance tests in the mountains as you are. Should be a blast. Nice warm up, I think, is the Aonoch Eagach on the north side of Glen Coe. Then, there is the Cuillin traverse on the Isle of Skye. And, if you rent a mountain bike, Ben Nevis, Scaffel Pike, and Snowdon in one push is a challenge (450 miles on bike). Enjoy!

http://scotclimb.org.uk/aonacheagach.shtml

http://glenmorelodge-01.e-availabil...25/docs/2010/summer/cuillin traverse 2010.pdf

http://www.merseyventure.com/threepeaks.htm

Farmer,

You set a very high standard in distance hiking and running in the northeast. I have enjoyed and been inspired by your accomplishments. Be sure to represent
us Americans over there in the UK, and post frequently so we can be amazed by your latest feats.

Steve Hawkins

It was great seeing you guys on your Presi traverse this past Saturday. But now there won't be any FARMER sighting's for a while I guess. Have fun over there and keep a stiff upper lip!

John & June

i dunno.. those routes you did.. well, doesn't sound very climbable.

farmer said:
It didn't take long for Jason to reveal his new obscure loop hike that he had conjured up...

Who is this Jason guy? And why does he insist on all these oddball trips?

It's great to have Rob out again doing big days. He was missed.
It'll be tough to have Ryan missing on the big days. He'll be missed...

...but I hear he'll be doing some cool stuff of his own.

When you get off that plane, farmer, you just remind them about Nagasaki. That'll show em.

Great..a Sasquatch and a Ferret left to roam the North woods alone..without food, water or toilet.

If you would like to help these critters please donate to your local Potential Human Society.