Open VFTT Hike: Starr King and Waumbek Sunday 1/6

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Hi all,

A last minute post, but I'm planning a hike up the Starr King Trail Sunday beginning at 8AM to go over Mounts Starr King and Waumbek and return the same way. This is a moderate winter hike of 7.2 miles RT and about 2500' of elevation gain. The route is in the trees the entire way, with minimal exposure on Starr King, and the woods are beautiful along the mile between the summits.

PM me or post here if interested. I'll check back in throughout the day.

The plan is to meet at the trailhead itself, ready to hike at 8 AM. It may be necessary to park in the lot across from Starr King Road and walk the 0.2 to the trailhead. My plan is to arrive at the lot between 7:30 and 7:45.

It will be cold, there will be snow. Snowshoes, maybe light traction, and full winter cold protection will be necessary.

Recent reports FYI:

http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=10906

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?47383-Star-King-like-the-good-old-days&highlight=waumbek

Please be aware that there is an unfriendly beagle near the trailhead. If you have any dogs with your group you may want to keep them on a leash until you are out on the trail so they do not approach him. Atticus of Tom and Atticus was bitten pretty badly today! He is about as friendly and passive as dogs get and a shame the Little Budda has some healing to do. Near serious bites but looks like he will be okay!

OK looks like bruce and i definite with maybe a couple others. I'm signing off for the night and will be at the trailhead on starr king road on the north side of rte 2 in jefferson, nh. at 8 AM. See you then if you are in. Bring beagle repellant.

Hope atticus is okay and thanks for the heads up.

Please be aware that there is an unfriendly beagle near the trailhead. If you have any dogs with your group you may want to keep them on a leash until you are out on the trail so they do not approach him. Atticus of Tom and Atticus was bitten pretty badly today! He is about as friendly and passive as dogs get and a shame the Little Budda has some healing to do. Near serious bites but looks like he will be okay!

Thanks for the heads up Dave I will pay attention if/when we decide to do that one. So sorry to hear about Atticus. That's twice now he's had a nasty run in.:( Hope he heals well and quickly.

Very sad about Atticus. Hope he is OK and heals up fast.

Was this one of the groups I passed on my way down? Great day up there. I went real early as I wanted to get in a second hike that day.

Was this one of the groups I passed on my way down? Great day up there. I went real early as I wanted to get in a second hike that day.

Hey - Brewster and I were headed up and passed a solo hiker coming down. It was just the two of us bearded guys with packs that looked like we were overnighting....:)

I remember passing you I believe.