OTWP Traverse, another Ice Cream Hike!, 7/19/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
July 19, 2009: Osceolas – Tripyramids – Whiteface - Passaconaway Traverse

Trails: Mount Osceola Trail, Greeley Ponds Trail, Flume Brook Trail, Old Skidder Trail, Livermore Trail, Scaur Ridge Trail, Pine Bend Brook Trail, Mt. Tripyramid Trail, Kate Sleeper Trail, East Sleeper Spur, Rollins Trail, Dicey’s Mill Trail

Summits: Mt. Osceola, East Osceola, N. Tripyramid, Middle Tripyramid, S. Tripyramid, West Sleeper, East Sleeper, Mt. Whiteface, Mt. Passaconaway

Distance – Elevation: 26 miles, 8364 feet

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me.

This is a hike we’ve thought about for a while. A few weeks ago we hiked the Osceolas and Tripyramids partly out of curiosity. The Flume Brook Trail and Old Skidder Trail were part of our preferred route for this hike but we had no information about their condition. We went there to see for ourselves in advance of this big hike. Everything looked good for the planned route.

We started as usual for a two vehicle hike. Sue planned to pass through Nashua at a particular time and I would be on the highway a little before. Somewhere along the way we find each other. In this case it was a pit stop at the Hooksett Rest Area. Our first move for the day was to spot a vehicle at the Ferncroft Trailhead, our ending location. We left Sue’s car there and headed for Tripoli Road in Waterville Valley by way of the Sandwich Notch Road. I’m glad we were in the truck since the Sandwich Notch Road is not a place I’d take a car. We made it through but probably didn’t save any time with the shorter route. A little later than planned we were setting off for our traverse.

First, an Osceola sunrise. We made our way up the Mount Osceola Trail with headlights for perhaps half of the climb to Mount Osceola. The lower part of the trail had some mud as did the upper section near the summit. In between, the trail was generally clear and in great shape. When we reached the summit we found a tent on the ledge and its occupant starting his day. The conditions were terrific with a light breeze, clear sky, and a bright morning sun. Looking to the southeast we were treated to a great view of our planned entertainment for the day. The first reaction – how would we pull this off? The answer – one step at a time. We got the usual summit pictures and set off for East Osceola. The hike to East Osceola is on a generally clear and dry trail. We quickly reached the summit, stopped for a couple more pictures and continued on our descent to the Greeley Ponds Trail. On our descent we met an additional five hikers (one solo and two couples). The steep descent cost a little extra time and we needed to try and make it up on the next leg.

After a quick snack at the trail junction we headed south on the Greeley Ponds Trail to the Flume Brook Trail. Along the way we stopped at both ponds to enjoy the scenery and get more pictures. Upper Greeley Pond had no activity at all but there were a couple ducks on Lower Greeley Pond near the south end when we arrived. They weren’t particularly frightened by our arrival but did swim away to the far side of the pond. We made good time to the Flume Brook Trail, took the turn and headed east to the Old Skidder Trail and eventually Livermore Trail. Both of these trails are in very good shape. The amount of mud is very low but the Old Skidder Trail is grown in pretty close for much of its length. By the time we reached Livermore Trail we were back on plan.

N. Tripyramid is just past the mid point of the hike and we were planning to stop there for lunch. We kept moving to stay on plan. A little less than a mile and we were making the turn onto the Scaur Ridge Trail. Close to the trail junction is a new blowdown hanging over the Livermore Trail. It is a very large tree and one end is being supported by a very small amount of the lower part of the tree. It looks very dangerous to me and probably should at least be dropped.

The Scaur Ridge Trail is generally clear and dry all of the way to the junction with the Pine Bend Brook Trail. This is a beautiful trail and a real pleasure to hike. We reached the junction, made the turn, and headed for the N. Tripyramid summit and our lunch break.

We were enjoying our lunch when several hikers arrived with dogs from the direction of Sabbaday Brook Trail. The dogs were running free and not controlled by the owners. After they paid a visit to a mud pit the dogs decided they wanted some of our lunch. The owners ignored their responsibility to keep the animals under control. I generally love dogs – it’s their owners that piss me off at times. And this was one of those times. After I shouted to the owner to “call your dogs” they finally showed a trace of responsibility. Eventually, they left and we did too.

The hike across the Tripyramids was very pleasant. The trail is generally dry and clear. We hit Middle Tripyramid and I quickly phoned home with an update on our progress. We continued our hike across South Tripyramid and headed down the upper part of the South Slide to the junction with the Kate Sleeper Trail. The signs indicate this trail is maintained by the WODC. I have the impression the trail maintenance resources of WODC may be getting stretched a little thin. This trail is a mess with blowdowns littered from end to end. Clearing this one will take a significant effort. After leaving the area of South Tripyramid we first hiked over West Sleeper and then on to East Sleeper, which is a peak on the New England Hundred Highest list. There is a short spur to the summit from the main trail. We made the stop on East Sleeper and continued to Mount Whiteface.

A short .2 miles before reaching Mount Whiteface, the Kate Sleeper Trail ended at its junction with the Rollins Trail. We made the turn and headed for the summit cairn. A couple quick pictures on the wooded summit and we took off for our hike around The Bowl on our way to the Dicey’s Mill Trail – our final trail for the hike. The Rollins Trail is generally in great shape. There are a few mud pits along the way but all were easy to pass. We reached the junction with Dicey’s Mill Trail, made the turn and headed for Mount Passaconaway – our next-to-the-last target for the day. I was out of water and made a stop at the small stream near Camp Rich to filter some for the remainder of our hike. With that out of the way we started the climb to Passaconaway.

By now I’m getting pretty tired and Sue is working on her third or fourth second wind (in other words she had plenty left). We tried for a comfortable pace and made our way to the summit. At the outlook we were treated to some terrific evening views. Early in the day we enjoyed the view from Mount Osceola over the planned route for the day – all we could do was look and wonder. Now, we are able to enjoy the view in the opposite direction showing the accomplishment – all we did was look and smile. What a day we had.

The last detail before heading out – a quick visit to the summit for a couple pictures. We managed to descend back to the general area of Camp Rich before the headlights came on. From there to the trailhead was a generally quiet hike. My feet were tired and I think Sue’s were too. The stream crossing at the site of Dicey’s Mill was easy, the mud pits on the lower part of the trail weren’t bad and we soon found the open field at the end of the trail. A short walk back to the trailhead lot and we quickly packed. Now, our final target for the day – the Sandwich Creamery! We spent some time discussing ice cream in the course of the hike and were ready for a post-hike treat. It was late but the place never closes. We made the turns, Sue picked her way down the rough private dirt road, and we were soon walking into the Ice Cream Stand for a small reward. Sue selected Birch Bark and I had Lemon Squeeze. I hope Sue enjoyed her choice as much as I did mine. As we were leaving another vehicle pulled in with three young people that were stopping for a treat. On our drive out another vehicle made the turn onto the private road to the creamery after first missing it. This is a busy place in the middle of the night!

We avoided the Sandwich Notch Road on our return drive to Waterville Valley. At the Mount Osceola Trail parking area we quickly transferred my things to the truck, I changed into comfortable footwear for the ride home, we said our goodbyes, and hit the road south.

Thanks Sue, great hike!

Pictures will follow.

:D

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

Last edited:
Wow, that's quite an amazing and uncommon hike! Nice job!

Wow, that's quite an amazing and uncommon hike! Nice job!
Thanks. With the great conditions we enjoyed it was a terrific day in the woods.

Yes; the Birch Bark is a guaranteed crowd pleaser -- and a favorite of mine.
Thanks. I plan to give the Birch Bark a try next time around if it is one of the available choices.

I've ceased to be amazed by the exploits of BIGEarl and Sue. They make the incredible routine.

The Birch Bark caught my eye - what does it taste like? Is this ice cream place really open 24 hours a day?
Thanks, Amicus.

I believe Sue said it was white chocolate, like Birch Bark white chocolate candy. I think Sue also indicated there are large chunks of chocolate in the ice cream.

Yup, 24-hours, the place never closes. When we pulled in the lights were on a low level to conserve electricity (I assume). A motion sensor triggered the higher lighting level. The Sandwich Creamery is a self-service place. Select your treat and place the appropriate amount in the container (coins) or mail slot (for folding currency).

Their product is very high quality and the place is definitely worth the trip - especially if you've been hiking locally (Whiteface & Passaconaway).

I'll be back again.

I've ceased to be amazed by the exploits of BIGEarl and Sue. They make the incredible routine.

The Birch Bark caught my eye - what does it taste like? Is this ice cream place really open 24 hours a day?
Yep, honor system at night.
NAD 27 E306569 N4859310

Sweet Kathy's in Plymouth, NH NAD27 283602,4848207
carries Sandwich Creamery ice cream. I like the coffee ice cream.

Great TR Earl & Sue, well done!

Last edited:
They do it all! Wonderful. BTW, our favorite flavor is the blueberry. It's fun to know that no matter how late we are coming out, we won't be denied our treat at the Sandwich Creamery.

WOW! That's a long day!

Big Earl and Sue are my new heros of the week! That was quite an accomplishment! You deserve a giant super ice cream sundae!

You know you could have had a longer day if you had started with Tecumseh! :D Great job you two. You're animals (and we mean that in a good way!)

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

Great TR Earl & Sue, well done!
Thanks, Paradox.

They do it all! Wonderful. BTW, our favorite flavor is the blueberry. It's fun to know that no matter how late we are coming out, we won't be denied our treat at the Sandwich Creamery.
Thanks Ellen. The Sandwich Creamery is a great stop after a long, hot day in the mountains. A water source of some kind and maybe some paper cups would be a nice addition to the place.

Big Earl and Sue are my new heros of the week! That was quite an accomplishment!
Thanks. We both selected a "large" container. No surprise there. ;)

You know you could have had a longer day if you had started with Tecumseh! :D Great job you two. You're animals (and we mean that in a good way!)
The road walk between Mount Tecumseh Trail and Mount Osceola Trail is a killer - I've done it more than once and don't like it. :eek:

Thanks everybody for your positive comments!