Pemi District Ranger headed to California

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. I just wonder if the folks there will understand her ideas any better than many of us have? Won't it be nice to have a different perspective. Just imagine...

Depressingly, this is probably a reward for her good service in the USFS and in particular the WMNF. Looking at her years aof service, this is just a governemtn paid relocation to her chosen retirement spot. Despite the hiking public's disdain for her, I expect that her resume no includes numerous bullet points including

Removal of a campground that was a known party spot that clashed with management policies (Franconia Falls)

Enforcement of wilderness standards to remove illegal trail activity ina wilderness area (Owl head Path)

Numerous removals of non conforming structures in wilderness area (numerous summit signs)

Removal of long term maintenance costs of major structure (Bridge removal)

General degradtion of trails in Wilderness areas in preparation for future abandonement

I expect we should all chip in and send her a nice cresote soaked bridge timber with a owls head sign from the bridge she took down as I expect there are still plenty of pieces abandonded at the bridge site. :rolleyes:

Depressingly, this is probably a reward for her good service in the USFS and in particular the WMNF. Looking at her years aof service, this is just a governemtn paid relocation to her chosen retirement spot. Despite the hiking public's disdain for her, I expect that her resume no includes numerous bullet points including

Removal of a campground that was a known party spot that clashed with management policies (Franconia Falls)

Enforcement of wilderness standards to remove illegal trail activity ina wilderness area (Owl head Path)

Numerous removals of non conforming structures in wilderness area (numerous summit signs)

General degradtion of trails in Wilderness areas in preparation for future abandonement

I expect we should all chip in and send her a nice cresote soaked bridge timber with a owls head sign from the bridge she took down as I expect there are still plenty of pieces abandonded at the bridge site. :rolleyes:
So she seems to have left a mixed legacy?Who took that old moose bone on owls head anyways?;)

Dear Molly, I met some nice people while cleaning up your pathetic, disgusting mess at the bridge site.

When it comes to government hackery, and attaining that enviable position of having tons of authority
with zero accountability, you set an incredibly high standard for your successor.

Break a leg, Molly.

Depressingly, this is probably a reward for her good service in the USFS and in particular the WMNF. Looking at her years aof service, this is just a governemtn paid relocation to her chosen retirement spot.
If you read the press release, she is basically from CA and her kids are in CA, she seems like a CA kind of person so it's a good place for her

She is moving laterally to another District Ranger job rather than up to Deputy Forest Supervisor like one of her predecessors Anne Archie, so it's not like she is on the fast track anywhere

Let's just hope her successor isn't from CA :)

If you read the press release, she is basically from CA and her kids are in CA, she seems like a CA kind of person so it's a good place for her

She is moving laterally to another District Ranger job rather than up to Deputy Forest Supervisor like one of her predecessors Anne Archie, so it's not like she is on the fast track anywhere

Let's just hope her successor isn't from CA :)
Cali aint that bad! Maybe more the person then where they are from?Very important to remember that many parts of Cali have very strict building regulations and environmental laws to preserve the ecology and natural state. My home area of southern nh could learn a lesson from Central and northern California land regulation.Plus yours and my favorite band the Grateful Dead are from Cali:D.....I do agree though that the mess in the Pemi is inexcusable.For the younger people in N.h. that like nature, Cali has lots of options for hiking and camping,not to mention professional opportunities in the entertainment business that are not available in the northeast[ie;music,movie and videogame business,sorry for slight thread digression]. Hopefully this position will be filled locally though,it seems a better fit this time around.

What exactly is involved, procedurally, in establishing a New Hampshire State Holiday?

Its highly unlikely the position will be filled by a local. The one exception is we may get someone who started their career in the area or wants to retire in the area as the WMNF is occasionally the last stop before retirement.

General degradation of trails in Wilderness areas in preparation for future abandonment

I don't know all the history of each of these items but when I look at this list, the bridge over the East Branch is the only one that stands out to me.

1. The Franconia Falls site was replaced with the East Side site.

2. & 3. The USFS is expected to enforce the rules and regulations. If we want to have signs at the Owls Head and other summit, we need to change to the WMNF Forest Plan.

4. I strongly disagreed with the reasoning the USFS used to support this decision. The Dry River Bridge Decision Memo would have been a perfect template to follow in support of keeping that bridge.

5. Yes, the maintenance standards are different in the Wilderness Area [no blazing, no bog bridges, less aggressive brushing, allowing small blowdown to stay across the trail]. So in that sense, the trails are becoming more wild. But I have not gotten the sense that the USFS forbidding people from adopting and maintaining any of the USFS trials. Based on my experience, the USFS trail adoption program is easier to join than the AMCs.