Pillow for Backpacking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Curious as to what people are using for pillows on multi-day backpacking trips?

Are people using some sort of backpacking pillow, or do most people just throw clothes into a bag or the back of sleeping bags if they have that little compartment?

If people are using actual pillows made for backpacking, any favorite brands or models?

Thanks!

I just stuff my clothes in a stuff sack, and use that as a pillow. It's not as plush as at home, but it helps me avoid carrying any more weight than necessary.

alpinista said:
I just stuff my clothes in a stuff sack, and use that as a pillow. It's not as plush as at home, but it helps me avoid carrying any more weight than necessary.

Ditto. Clothes are the best, IMO. The backpacking pillows I've tried are rather poor. I don't use a stuff sack, though, as they tend to slide around too much. One particular wool shirt I have works well to cover my face as well.

thermarest bone here

I like the thermarest bone. It's 4 oz with the soft cover. Take the cover off and it's only 2.5 oz; then put your hat under your face. That's my set up.

I also don't bring a pillow in the winter, but do in the summer.

In winter I just take the extra clothes and ball them up in another shirt.

In summer I have an Avon pillow cover that used to go around an inflatable bladder for use to stabilize your neck. It's zippered across the back so I removed the inflatable bladder, which was OK, but caused a lot of sweat to build up on my neck. It's polyester, and I filled it with some polyester fill from Wal-Mart, it weighs about 4 ounces, stuffs well, and is very comfortable.

I only bring it in the summer because my clothes usually get so grimy I wouldn't want to sleep on them and I don't sleep well with my head not elevated even a little.

If I have it with me, the down jacket is pure heaven to sleep on. Otherwise it's clothes in a stuff sack, but don't seal the stuff sack to tight, then wrap it with a fleece... better than my pillow at home.

I'd way rather bring extra clothes then a pillow, especially in Winter.

-Shayne

A pot

Not always, but sometimes, in summer, when I'm going very lightweight. My sleeping bag is quite light, and not very warm. Sometimes early June nights get quite cold, so I wear every piece of clothing I have. I'm left with shoes, a pot, a stove. I know Dave_M talks about using shoes, but he must have sweet smelling feet.

Try a pot sometimes. It is relatively nice and comfortable. Not nice and comfortable, but mocu more so than you may expect.

<insert joke about me being a pot head here>

I have a light blue colored Thermarest "fleecy" pillow. I find the stuff sacks either too slippery (nylon) or too loud and the Thermarest thing doubles as a towel, hotpot holder, so in honor of the ultralight code, it has multiple uses and can come along. :D And then I stuff things in it. In winter, a down jacket makes a great pillow!

Jay

I believe in squalor when camping. The closest thing to a pillow in my tent is a pile of pungent clothing.

I just bring an old pillowcase from home and stuff it with a fleece. It has the soft feel that a nylon stuff sack doesn't have. But you need to leave enough room in it to tie the open end in a knot or else the fleece will "leak" out at night.

I actually have a stuff sack that is fleece lined on one side in the inside. Once in camp, I just turn it inside out, stuff my clothes in it, and TA DA, pillow!

I have a couple of nice little pillows that have become relegated to car camping. It's not the weight (they only weigh 4 oz or so), it's just that space is so darn limited when backpacking. What works best for me is putting my stuff sack of dry/clean clothes inside my fleece jacket then tying the arms of the jacket under the "pillow." My summer s. bag also has a convenient pillow pouch that you can stuff the fleece jacket into which is even better.

I carry a backpacking chair on trips. At night, I make it into a wedge by putting clothes in it. This allows me to sleep somewhat comfortably on my back. I find that it is worth the extra weight in the comfort it provides while sitting for long rest stops and for meals.

Pat T

I like my head elevated a bit higher, and have, over the years, tried everything from
1. using the small Slumberjack qualofill pillows,
2. using one of my MSR Dromedary bags filled with either air or water,
3. Using a Camelback style bag filled with air or water,
4. using my stuff sack inside out filled with Clothes
(I have one like Dory's, lined with a soft material used inside out).

I found I didn't care for the first three.
The fourth is nice, However, there are times when as Pete says, you have all your clothes on and don't really have anything to use. It was in a situation similar to this that I ended up taking my nylon first aid kit, my nylon emergency essential kit, Plastic toilet paper baggie (Clean Plastic Toilet paper baggie that is ), and stuffing them into a spare stuff sack that I always carry. I then stuffed this into the very bottom of my pack along with the foam mesh backpad part of my pack that is velcroed to the pack, and laid the pack cross-ways at the head of my tent. I then place my foam sitpad on the pack and found it worked out well - I get about 4"-6" of "pillow". The backpack doesn't slide around and the foam sitpad and foam backpad offer a protection from the lumpiness of the "Fill" Materials.

The other thing I do is always carry a spare soft nylon balaclava in my sleeping bag pocket. I have put it over a smaller stuff sack filled with socks, bandannas & toilet paper and then placed it on my pack (which is laid lengthwise at the head of the tent). The pack gives a nice 2" rise and then the soft stuff sack is another 2"-3". The balaclava keeps it soft and keeps it from slipping on the backpack cordura fabric.

Another Thermarest pillow fanatic here. I'm on version number two (much softer and bigger than the last model).

I've tried to go without using various substitutes, but I just can't sleep right without a pillow -- I end up on my arm, cutting off the circulation. Now, I put the pillow against my pack to keep it in place and get a good night's sleep.

Pat T said:
I find that it is worth the extra weight in the comfort it provides

Doing whatever you have to do to get a good night's sleep is key for me. If I have to lug even a whole whopping two more pounds ;) to ensure a restful sleep I'd do it. It's no fun beeing a weight weenie and being super grumpy the next day because you didn't sleep.

-Shayne