Pinkham (PNVC) today.....looked like rescue practice of some kind?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's at least one other option, and it's the one I believe has the most versatility and the greatest probability of success: carry some kind of shelter that is light weight and easy to set up for a group of people.

You're right that with the right insulation underneath and with enough warm bodies, a lightweight emergency shelter can do the job. They're far more popular in the UK and Scandinavia than here. An example is the Hilleberg Windsack.

Some of us carry the Blizzard Survival Bag.

> What about a lighter - small and light... I *always* have one....

I hope it has a metal case. If you get a spark on a plastic lighter or drop it into the fire you can have a big explosion fast.

I've never had a problem getting a spark on a lighter or dropping it into a fire, but, I do like to practice :)

_______

Question for you search and rescue gurus - what is the current state of the law in terms of charging for rescues if the person walks out?

I've never had a problem getting a spark on a lighter or dropping it into a fire, but, I do like to practice :)

_______

Question for you search and rescue gurus - what is the current state of the law in terms of charging for rescues if the person walks out?

Go ask the former Attorney General and the current Fish and Game Executive Director who decided not to chase Scott Mason through the courts: Reimbursement Request Will Not Be Pursued for 2009 Rescue of Hiker Scott Mason

In short: No one has any freaking idea, notwithstanding the assertion that NH was "confident of the legal merit of the case". And we won't until a case finally gets to court.

The law has not changed.

I believe the woman on Jackson decided to pay and get on with her life, the Eagle Scout paid a much lesser amount and the state used "medical issues which we can't discuss" as an excuse not to prosecute.

As sardog1 says, the law has not been tested in court

I am still upset that "the woman on Jackson" had been asked to pay reimbursement, especially when I don't know about requests to ask for money to any of the others who have needed rescue. For me, it would be helpful to know who else has been asked to pay, how much, and what the circumstances are. I think the information would also be good PR for F&G's education of people who go out into the woods unprepared (and I won't call them hikers, that's a special term I save for folk who are prepared and educated). (Edited to change the words fined.)

Last edited:
I feel the need once again to apply some weedkiller.

There is no "prosecution" involved.

There is no "fine" involved.

What the statute authorizes is recoupment of the state's costs in the event of negligence by the person involved.

And yeah, it is an important distinction, notwithstanding some prior assertions on VFTT to the contrary. Failure to acknowledge the distinction reflects either ignorance of the statute or an intent to inflame opinions.

The phrase 'requiring' search and rescue is interesting with regards to the 'what is someone walks out on their own?' question. It seems similar to the debate of 'required gear' vs 'wanted gear', which certainly drives much debate. Since this guy walked out, one could argue that he didn't need it. Of couse, this is hindsight. :)

The phrase 'requiring' search and rescue is interesting with regards to the 'what is someone walks out on their own?' question. It seems similar to the debate of 'required gear' vs 'wanted gear', which certainly drives much debate. Since this guy walked out, one could argue that he didn't need it. Of couse, this is hindsight. :)

I assume his wife called and requested the search be conducted. If so, that was her decision, not NH F&G.

Last edited: