"Pound the Presis" - Presi travese to benefit TBTS

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Paradox, glad to have you onboard, Should be a fun event and a good cause. Could you PM me your full name and cell number (if any). Helps me keep track of the hikers..

Jade: the above kind of answers your question. Yes, there is a list. Wont be finalized til at least friday night because surely there will be folks who have said 5 months ago that he/she is coming but then can't make it.

Jay

I think I'd like to try this hike out. I've been eyeing it for a while and figure what a great opportunity to meet a bunch of VFTT'ers. I guess that means I have to figure out where CMR is and all that. I'm going to try to get off early on Friday and drive down, It's about 5.5 hours for me from Ottawa. Anybody else from Ottawa, or perhaps Montreal that would want to car pool?

Sounds like an early start would be the most prudent. I'd be up for any start time, I normally don't sleep much the night before big hikes anyways.

Is there still room for one more?

-Shayne

Hey Spaddock, there is always room for one more.. Aaron (askus3) said he'd donate I think $5 for every hiker that hikes so I'm trying to get everybody to hike...:)

As far as directions, CMR is a marked road that is paved and has some residential houses on it, but soon enough it becomes dirt and that's where the campsites are. The road is north of the same road that Crawford Notch and the AMC Highland's Center is on and also Bretton Woods and the Cog Railway. I think that is route 302??? The road also spits you out onto Rt 2 further north but the shorter way to the campsites is by far, from route 302.

Anything more details, I'd PM guy (giggy) as he knows the area much more than I do.

Jay

With more and more people signing up and with a good number of us NOT staying at CMR, I think we really ought to come up with some way to identify others that are doing this hike for TBTS.

In talking about this, someone (Tuco or Rols) mentioned the idea of having a logo made that we could then print on iron-on-transfer paper. This way, we could each have tee-shit for the event and would know each other when we meet on the trail. If there is anyone who could design something simple with:

"Pound the Presis" -- A hike to benefit The Brain Tumor Society June 17, 2006

and perhaps the VFTT logo, I think that would be good. Of course, a more subtle idea would be to all wear a red bandanna or something though this still leaves room for confusion...

Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?

Jay, I think Aaron said he would donate $100 per person! :D

Double Bow, I refuse to wear that kind of tee!! :eek:

Knee braces, check....ankle wrap, check...vitamin i, check... Yup, I'm ready!

...jade

CMR is right off 302, a few miles south from the 302/3 junction in twin mt. coming from twin mt - its on the left, not far after zealand.

the big problem here is going to be limiting cars. the rangers will no doubt be around - in fact they are probably reading this thread too.

I have just spoke with the ranger district and they will call me back verifying the following:

1) final rules on # of cars per spot (this changed this year)
2) number of tents we can set up there at each site.
3) let them know we plan to be there, will be a large group, and we will not trash the place. I think it is always better to let them know our intentions with a large group like this - rather than they get there and see loads of folks and assume we are ignorant to the rules, and will leave a mess. I would rather try and limit any problems before hand!

I will post what i find out. :D

CMR info

I was in the area on Saturday 6/27/06 (Memorial day weekend) and observed that there are 4 campsites.
The rules posted are: 15 camper limit to each site and 3 car limit. All were full at 6:48 pm on Saturday 6/27/06. You need a permit to park and they are available at a kiosk about a mile up the Cherry Mountain road. I cannot be at CMR until roughly 5 pm on Friday evening as I have a tee time that morning in Rockport Maine that I cannot break (Yah I know, sucks to be me.)

The Cherry Mountain Road is off Rt 302, 3.6 miles East/South of the Twin Mountain intersection of 3 and 302. Here are the GPS coordinates of the Campsites. (NAD 27)

036 27-MAY-06 6:48:33PM 19 T 303048 4905818 1789 ft
037 27-MAY-06 6:48:48PM 19 T 303103 4905863 1800 ft
038 27-MAY-06 6:49:10PM 19 T 303211 4905883 1832 ft
039 27-MAY-06 6:56:13PM 19 T 302811 4905706 1785 ft

Last edited:
thanks paradox - thats great first hand recent info.

and to add - I think it is also known as "old cherry mt road" - while I think we will have no problem getting a spot or 2 due to some of us getting there early.

It might not be a bad idea to have a back-up plan if we do get there and they are full. It can happen. Tough to tell who will actually show and camp at CMR: 5,10,20,30 people - who knows?

Overnight lodging in Gorham

The Libby House (603 466 2271) is a B&B in Gorham at the corner of Rts 16 and 2. Bubba and I will be there on Friday night after we leave the CMR. Only 5 minutes from the Valley Way trailhead. He has a barn that can accommodate about 30 hikers and is relatively inexpensive. During August and September he does a brisk business in accommodating the through hikers on the AT. It could be perfect for us.

Last edited:
Franconia Ridge Training

I am planning to do some training for this event this coming weekend on Franconia Ridge. I would love some company, so if you are interested please see the Trip posting.

Hanna

Good info on the upcoming event. I'd like to add some detail of interest!!

I sponsored the new guy, Paradox, onto the board (and I found out my reputation is on the line... that's too funny!). Paradox and I have a Buffalo connection and are looking forward to pounding them Presis with all of our might and plenty of $$ supporters. Here's the news for all of you hikers -- Parodox just finished Isoloation this past weekend (with his two dogs) and will be summitting his NH 48th on Jackson at the end of the Pound The Presis campaign!!

You all know that this is :D excitment :D for me. Check this out... his one dog will also be celebrating the same accomplishment!! In some way or the other we need to recognize the accomplishment. I'm not sure how strung out we will be as we complete the tour, but I'd just like to let all of you know so that you can alter/ammend any plans should you choose to include a mtn-top celebration in your day!

Very creatively, paradox has secured a beer donation for the celebration at CMR campground (rep is in good standing so far...) He is donating the value of the suds to TBTS.

Welcome aboard, Paradox. Looking forward to a great hike!!

PS - I'm surprised that CMR is as far north on 302 as it sounds to be. That makes it easier for me coming in!! (I can make that drive in 14.6 hours and $498.00!!) ;)

I'm out this year

Finally got boarding arrangements in Baltimore for my pups only to find out that the airlines are jammed that weekend....a little something called Father's Day....the only flights I could get were too tight a squeeze on my time and my wallet ... so no Presi Traverse for me this year. I'm REALLY disappointed!! :(

GOOD luck to everyone!!!!

Looking forward to picks and TRs!!!

Go VfTTers!!!!

Sabrina

Not 100%, But...

... if someone needs to bail out at Mt. Washington, as of now I'm planning on having my car at Pinkham Notch and hiking down after the road race. Just something to maybe keep in mind.

Speaking of "a Barn" is "The Barn" a hostel known more to Thru hikers open? I have not heard anyone staying there yet.

Historically The Barn & Hiker's Paradise are the two main Thru hiker hang out but I assume both are open all year (HP is) or at least seasonally & it tis the season.

I am most likely out, still recovering from a foot injury & won't have time to train. Too bad...

Sorry JasonST, hope you get well...

paradox, I will post an updated list next week. I happen to have the spreadsheet at work and I have no access to a PC at home. I'm off today but bailed out on some trailwork in the catskills, so I'm at the town library checking email. But I will try to remember to post an updated list next week.

p.s. don't worry folks, I'll just be posting the VfTT screen names, all the other data will NOT be posted although I have it in my spreadsheet for the hike itself.

Jay