Presi Traverse w/a hut stay...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
Ok, so some OPK's asked me to take them on a Presi Traverse, with one nite in a hut. (OPK = Other People's Kids)

It will be me and 3 15 year old boys, unless I get some volunteers! ;)

These boys are really nice kids, I have known them all a while, one of them I got to hold at about 1 hour old... sniff sniff.

I was considering a north to south route with the hut stay at LOC then down to Crawford or Webster/Jackson depending on conditions, attitude and remaining food.

Like I said, they are all 3 really great kids, I have hiked with all 3, and am trying REALLY HARD to get them all to do the 48... :eek: preferably with their 'adopted' aunt...

Any thoughts on routes, and how to deal with 3 teenage boys being a single female with no kids of her own?!

I was so pleased and humbled that they actually asked ME to do this with them, there was NO WAY I was going to say no. We are looking at mid week in early Sept, I am dragging them out of school. I LOVE being the cool rebel fake aunt! :rolleyes:

Cheers! :)

Sounds like a great opportunity! :D

I would try to impress on the kids the need to stick together, or at the very least, do not proceed past any trail junctions until everyone has arrived at that point.

Make sure the parents have adequately equipped the kids.

Explain hut etiquette to them. :D

Tom (Parent of 2 teen's and a 21 yo) Rankin! :D

All great points!

I took two of them on a backpack trip, we camped between the Osceolas in what felt like a hurricane... the walk out was a perfect fall day.

Not sure what they are like most of the time, but around me they are always respectful and polite and courteous, not quite sure why?? :rolleyes:

I have been on 2 dayhikes with the other one, Chocorua and Sandwich Dome. They don't have backpacking gear, that is why we decided on a hut, so less food, and I will carry a tent 'just in case', logistics and all.

I can't imagine how much food 3 15 year old boys would toss down on a backpack, but I know I don't want to carry it! :)

On a 4 day 3 nite Pemi Loop last year we stayed at a shelter with a bunch of 16ish Boy Scouts, fun stuff! But boy, did they EAT! Nice kids.

:)

chinooktrail said:
I can't imagine how much food 3 15 year old boys would toss down on a backpack, but I know I don't want to carry it! :)
Remember, the hut will feed you dinner, breakfast, and you can buy snacks, and get free water. So don't over pack. Also, a sleeping bag is overkill in a hut in September. Bring something lighter. Bringing a tent that sleeps 4 could be a lot of extra weight, but your call...

Timing is everything.

chinooktrail said:
Ok, so some OPK's asked me to take them on a Presi Traverse, with one nite in a hut. (OPK = Other People's Kids)

...Any thoughts on routes, and how to deal with 3 teenage boys being a single female with no kids of her own?!

Well, here's a thought on timing: Both Lakes and Madison close for the season on September 15th, so you'll want to factor that in your thinking.

As Tom said, make sure their parents help them pack properly, with all the usual extra clothing. Early September can go either way, weather-wise. A good weather shell, extra fleece, gloves and hat are all way past optional.

I have done the traverse a couple times, always from the north with a stay at Mad hut the first night. Once, we did the traverse and stayed at LOC the second night, and once tagged the top of Washington and went down via Tuckerman Ravine. For what it's worth, the Mad hut experience is generally more "intimate" than Lakes.

I’m curious, how are you arranging a car spot? If you leave a car at the Crawford Path trailhead, how are you getting to the Appalachia trailhead? My sister did a three hut traverse with the boy scouts a couple of years ago and found that they left her in the dust once above tree line. Make certain they keep together. Walkie talkies might be a helpful tool to bring.

One of the dad's will be collecting us and bringing me back to my car. No worries there.

I have hiked with these kids, they know my ground rules for hiking and respect them to a fault.

I decided to do the hut instead of backpack so we don't have to carry all the food, and gear. I like to bring my own sleeping bag, but the boys can use the blankets at the hut if they choose to... just my poersonal preference.

I will be carrying my 2 person tent, just for emergencies as well as my stove etc...

I think if I suggested Madison hut they would not like it, they wouldn't like to stop so soon, but I kind of like that idea, we can always tag Adams that day as well... things to consider.

I've got a pretty decent checklist for them to follow, and I have loads of gear they can use if they don't have it themselves, but I believe they already have what they need. I will certainly do a gear check before we head out of the house!

I'm not sure who is more excited, me or them?! :rolleyes:

MadRiver said:
I’m curious, how are you arranging a car spot?

We spotted a car at Pinkham Notch Camp, then took the AMC shuttle up to the Valley Way trailhead... returned via Tucks to Pinkham Notch two days later.

I have also spotted a car at Pinkham and hiked the Old Jackson Road to Valley Way (or was it Airline? This was a long time ago -- I think it was Airline, and it was no fun on what turned out to be a very rainy day).

Oh, all these kids live in the Mount Washington Valley, all local boys, so getting around is a piece o'cake. ;)

It feels weird to me now that I have moved to have to TRAVEL to a trailhead. :mad:

What about options? Night one at RMC and get some of the elevation gain out of the way. Then Clouds the next night, or Mitzpa if Lakes is full or closed later in sept. Sure it can be done over two days, But if you were to stay at Madison first night it leaves a very long hike in the shortening September daylight hours to finish the traverse. Also by the time breakfast is wrapped up at Madison a good 2 hours of hiking daylight is lost.

Huts are ok, I have included a night in them on longer hikes a couple times, but found it to be system shock going from the space of my tent where I get to decide the menu and meal times to the grid lock-feed lot mentality of crowded huts. RMC huts are a lot more relaxed as are the AMC huts off season. I have never got the chance to stay at clouds, don't know if I ever will, if only they had a care taker season there.

If I had anything to volunteer, it would be to think like a fifteen year old boy (very scary, I don't recommend staying in that mindset long! :p ). They eat a lot. If they get grumpy or out of character, they are probably hungry. Even if you have eaten a few hours prior, don't underestimate the metabolism of a teenage boy. Second, you have three young guys with you. Let THEM carry your heavy stuff and switch it around. If you are going to take a small tent and your stove, put it in their packs and change it around. Afterall, with a little food, they will be back at full energy. Good luck!

So day one is up Valley Way (easiest) back to Madison & then over Adams, Jefferson, Washington & down to LOC before the 6:00 PM dinner bell?

(most reasonable fit hikers with lots of trail experience do this in 8-9 hours, so it's possible to start at 8:00 or 9:00 AM but does everyone in your group travel pretty quick for that long)

Unless I had a lot of experience with the group I'd probably look at doing Madison or an RMS option for day one & then day two staying at LOC. Or I'd like an early start which many teens that I know don't care for.

I find for that time of year a pack should have most of the summer items the WMG guide says you should have. Windchills can be below zero & temps may be around freezing. Having ample water & knowing possible escape routes would be key, especially around Jefferson where options can be pretty ugly.

Tom Rankin said:
Also, a sleeping bag is overkill in a hut in September. Bring something lighter.

Not necessarily in that hut. LOC hut and Madison hut get pretty cold at night in Sept. I stayed at the Madison hut Sept 10, 2005, a beautifully warm weekend when I lounged on Madison's and Adam's ledges during the day, but was very glad I had brought my sleeping bag at night. The croo even shut off the water that night due to fear that the pipes were going to freeze. Your experience may be different.

Tom, I can vouch for freezing temps any time of the year in Madison and Lakes huts.

Christine, you know your boys' abilities; if you think you can get to Lakes in time for dinner, then it seems a good plan. We're always trying for similar trips in June (because of those darn flowers) and fail more than half the time due to bad weather. September is much more stable.

Great, this is the stuff I need to know!

These kids are all stronger hikers than me, and if I tell them we have to start at 5am, they will. I think they will enjoy the feeling like they HAD to wear a headlamp!

When we hike together we hike as a cohesive team, and that is one of the things I am trying to stamp into their brains, always watch out for each other! (Did I mention I carried one of them up to Tuckerman's on my back when he was 4 months old to watch the people ski?!)

As much as my old bones may like the idea of staying at Madison, I think we will make the plans and head out way early, under headlamps, and go for LOC. Weather permitting of course. (Seems like the LOC hut and I have a sort of feud going on, but I won't be on the Ammonusuc trail so maybe that is really the problem...)

Oh LenDawg, BTW it is Nate, Dan and Josh, I believe you have met all of them, and even hiked with them too.

Thanks to all, and keep those suggestions and hints coming!

:)

Testosterone

A few years back when I would go hiking with OPKs, as we were packing I would tell them that “I will carry the heavy stuff since I do not think you can handle the weight”. They would fight over who would get to carry the heaviest load.

Sometimes it is good for teenage boys to have testosterone poisoning!

Note: It did not work on their sisters; I had to carry the heavy load.

Mark Driscoll said:
A few years back when I would go hiking with OPKs, as we were packing I would tell them that “I will carry the heavy stuff since I do not think you can handle the weight”. They would fight over who would get to carry the heaviest load.
Be careful what you ask for...

I know a boy who would simply say "OK!".

It may only work if you feed them the line when they are all together to kick in their egos and peer pressure.

Of course the above mentioned boy also bragged after a night out in the Whites that he had kept a candy bar in his pocket.

Doug