Presidential Traverse this Weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfmoon

Reaction score
Hello, I am heading up for my second annual presidential traverse on Saturday, July 14. I was wondering if I could get some help with a couple questions?

1. What are some interesting routes over the Presidentials? Last year I hiked with someone who knew the Whites and he took me over Howker Ridge, and then past a neat lake between Madison and Adams. I was told this was not the normal route. Should I repeat this route, or are there other neat trails I could take to see a different perspective.

2. We are hiking north to south so we finish at Crawford Notch, I think. Are there any post hike swimming holes in this vicinity (within say 10 miles drive) which take less than a quarter mile walk to get to?

3. Where could we camp free/cheap and legal? I camped on Cherry Mountain Rd last year, but it was with someone who had reservations. I wouldn't be opposed to a fee campsite, but I am afraid there will not be vacancy since the Whites are very popular.

Thanks for any insights!

1) howker is the way to go - little "tougher" than valley way - but backtracking sucks on traverses. if your strong enough to do a traverse, your strong enough to hot hoker rather than valley way. I would rather to that and screw jack/web at the end than do valley way and do jack/web.

I think you mean the star lake trail which comes up the backside of adams - def tougher than taking airline up. starr lake has some class 2 scrambles if i recall. - this means more fun. I got freaked up up there once and took that by mistake rather than airline. in socked in wetaher, its easy to follow that trail than gulf to airline. you can basically pick a line and rock hop up adams summit.

don't know about swim holes. plenty of water around there, so I imagine there is.

3) - I doubt your pal reserved cherry mt road cuz its first come first serve to the best of my knowledge.

campsites, you got zealand, sugarloaf, isreal river, cherry mt, gale river rd, probably something in gorham, dolly copp, barnes, etc....

have fun!!

You could camp at Fifth Iron Tentsite, located across Rte 302 from Sawyer River Rd. About a .5mi walk-in. ~$10/night.

It is right along the Saco, so you could probably take a dip there.

Doug

Camping/waterholes

You could maybe camp at Dolly Copp and climb Madison from the campground at the start of a north/south traverse. It's a long drive back to Dolly Copp, though. Just below Crawford Notch on 302 is Dry River Campground. About a mile of flat walking out in back is one of the best swimmin' holes I know of in that part of the mountains. Here's links to the campsites:

http://www.campsnh.com/dollycopp.htm

http://www.nhstateparks.org/ParksPages/DryRiver/DryRiverCmp.html

As far as backcountry camping, there's no camping above treeline anywhere in the Whites, (except on 2' of snowpack). You'd have to come down below treeline and hope to find a place.

Here are the rules:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/whit...es_2006-07.pdf

Also:

The link covers back country camping, but doesn't really cover camping in the Presidentials. Here is what the AMC Guide to the White Mountains says:

CAMPING

Presidential Range-Dry River Wilderness

Wilderness regulations, intended to protect Wilderness resources and promote opportunities for challenge and solitude, prohibit use of motorized equipment or mechanical means of transportation of any sort. Camping and wood or charcoal fires are not allowed within 200 ft. of any trail except at designated campsites. Hiking and camping group size must be no larger than 10 people. Camping and fires are also prohibited above the treeline (where trees are less than 8 ft. tall), except in winter, when camping is permitted above the treeline in places where snow cover is at least 2 ft. deep, but not on any frozen body of water. Many shelters have been removed, and the remaining ones will be dismantled when major maintenance is required; one should not count on using any of these shelters.

Forest Protection Areas

The WMNF has established a number of Forest Protection Areas (FPAs)—
formerly known as Restricted Use Areas—where camping and wood or charcoal fires are prohibited throughout the year. The specific areas are under continual review, and areas are added to or subtracted from the list in order to provide the greatest amount of protection to areas subject to damage by excessive camping, while imposing the lowest level of restrictions possible. A general list of FPAs in this section follows, but since there are often major changes from year to year, one should obtain current information on FPAs from the WMNF.

(1) No camping is permitted above treeline (where trees are less than
8 ft. tall), except in winter, and then only in places where there is at least
2 ft. of snow cover on the ground—but not on any frozen body of water,
and not on the east face of Mt. Washington's summit cone from Boott
Spur to Nelson Crag (the area above Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines,
including the Alpine Garden area). The point where the above-treeline
restricted area begins is marked on most trails with small signs, but the
absence of such signs should not be construed as proof of the legality of
a site.

(2) No camping is permitted within a quarter mile of any trailhead,
picnic area, or any facility for overnight accommodation such as a hut,
cabin, shelter, tentsite, or campground, except as designated at the facility
itself. In the area covered by Section 1, camping is also forbidden within a
quarter mile of Glen Ellis Falls.

(3) No camping is permitted within 200 ft. of certain trails. In 2002
designated trails included the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail.

(4) No camping is permitted on WMNF land within a quarter mile
of certain roads (camping on private roadside land is illegal except by
permission of the landowner). In 2002 these roads included US 302 west
of Bartlett NH, NH 16 north of Glen Ellis Falls, the Base Road (PR 173),
the Jefferson Notch Rd. from the Base Rd. to the Caps Ridge Trail trail-
head, and the Rocky Branch Rd. (FR 27, a.k.a. Jericho Rd.).

(5) In Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines (Cutler River drainage,
including the Alpine Garden and the east face of the Mt. Washington
summit cone), camping is prohibited throughout the year; the only year-
round exception is the Hermit Lake Shelters and adjoining tent platforms
(management policies described below under campsites). Visitors in the '
ravine areas may not kindle charcoal or wood fires; people intending to
cook must bring their own small stoves. Day visitors and shelter users
alike are required to carry out all their own trash and garbage—no recep-
tacles are provided. This operating policy is under continual review, so it
can change from time to time; current information is available at Pinkham
Notch Visitor Center or the Tuckerman Ravine caretaker's residence, or
from WMNF offices. There is no warming room open to the public, and
refreshments are not available.

Crawford Notch State Park

No camping is permitted in Crawford Notch State Park, except at the public Dry River Campground (fee charged).

Established Trailside Campsites

Hermit Lake Campsite (AMC/WMNF), located in Tuckerman Ravine, consists of 10 open-front shelters with a capacity of 86 and three tent platforms open to the public. Tickets for shelter and tentsite space (nontransferable and nonrefundable) must be purchased for a nominal fee at Pinkham Notch Visitor Center in person (first come, first served). Campers are limited to a maximum of seven consecutive nights, and pets are not allowed to stay overnight.

Also this information can be found on this website:

http://www.mountwashington.org/about...eave_no_trace/

Hope all this helps out.

KDT

Howker Ridge is definitely more "fun" than Valley Way, but there is another alternative if you want to try something different: Valley Way to Brookside to Watson Path to summit. Again a traverse, no backtracking.

Star Lake is by and far my favorite way up Adams from the hut: it is a real (if steep) trail rather than another northern presidential rock hop. Sure, there are a couple of moves where you need your hands, but I believe that there also are such short scrambles on Howker Ridge.

Sorry, no help with campgrounds or swimming holes.

Hey Halfmoon, you bringing Pudgy_Groundhog with you? :)

The Webster/Jackson trail will remind you of catskills/ADK hiking as it seems to be full of rocks and roots and short ups and down, unlike most of the rock-hopping you will do on the ridgeline of the presidentials. Giggy and I were on it at the end of our last Presi Traverse and I think we vowed never again after a long day! :)

As far as swimming hole, there is a small lake I think just south of Crawford Notch that I've seen fishermen at. Maybe you can accidentally slip and fall in ;)

Jay

Crawford Notch, I think. Are there any post hike swimming holes in this vicinity (within say 10 miles drive) which

Lower Falls at junction of Rt 302 and Cherry Mtn Rd...

Thanks Bob!

Bob, thanks, I was looking at the swimmingholes.org site and they mention that both the lower and upper falls have nice swimming spots. If there is daylight after the hike we will take a polar swim. Thanks a bunch.

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Howker Ridge is definitely more "fun" than Valley Way, but there is another alternative if you want to try something different: Valley Way to Brookside to Watson Path to summit. Again a traverse, no backtracking.

another vote for Brookside - one of my faves - Salamacis Falls is the best!!