Prolotherapy

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ouchy Bleedy

Reaction score
My chiropractor has recommended that I try prolotherapy for ligament laxity around the SI joint. Has anyone else tried this therapy and did you get positive results? Are there any other therapies that might be helpful? I've tried adjustments, exercises and laser with some improvement.

Thanks in advance.

Not personally myself but a guy I work with/ride with did prolotherapy (injections, right?) for several months on his knee. In the end I don't think he can say that his knee got any better from it. Insurance did not cover it and he spent a lot of $$$ on it too from what I remember.

Yoga?

Last edited:
yes, I have had prolotherapy. It was not covered by insurance and was expensive but totally worth it. The pain is gone. I would not be able to hike like I do now without it. I have an excellent doctor. PM me if you want the info.

Thanks for the info - I'll make that next on the list if the prolotherapy doesn't do the trick! What sort of time/financial commitment should I expect with Rolf?

yes, I have had prolotherapy. It was not covered by insurance and was expensive but totally worth it. The pain is gone. I would not be able to hike like I do now without it. I have an excellent doctor. PM me if you want the info.

Sue, please PM me your prolotherapy doctor's name.

There is a lengthy thread here on Stem Cell Bone Marrow Prolotherapy with lots of links.

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42240

Thanks,
Roleigh

I know of two people on this forum who have undergone halyronidase injections - one with lasting positive results, the other with no improvement. It seems hit or miss. I think it all depends on where you are in your course of injury/recovery; along with probably numerous other factors related to your health status and other modalities you may be incorporating.

Please let us know what you find. There are many options out there - none one size fits all -- many of us have had to seek out alternative therapies when the conventional ones were of no help. Who knows, one day these alternative therapies will BECOME standard practice.

Thanks for the info - I'll make that next on the list if the prolotherapy doesn't do the trick! What sort of time/financial commitment should I expect with Rolf?

Ten 90 minute sessions spaced at least a week apart. i completed my series last February and am in complete "remission". Part of the process is learning about posture to avoid poor postures that lead to repetitive stress/overuse injuries in the future. That's pretty much ongoing for me but gets more automatic everyday.

Good luck, SI issues are very painful and frustrating.

Last edited:
What about going to a very skilled accupuncturist instead? The idea of injecting material into a joint is potentially an issue for negative complications.

They often don't support acupuncture either, yet to my knowledge there are dogs and horses receiving these treatments with good results. Bernie certainly appeared to improve with his treatments. From major lame to upwardly mobile I would say is impressive.

For obvious reasons, one cannot say that the relief and increased mobility you see is "all in their head" because animals have no clue what acupuncture really is.
Yet there are plenty of naysayers in the medical communities out there. Everyone is different but IMHO I think it's worth a try.

I have witnessed a peer at work getting excellent pain relief post major thoracic surgery to remove a very large benign tumor in his lung. Nothing worked but this did. All in his head? I don't think so.

I make my decisions based on results that patient's have personally experienced, and the increased mobility of an animal in treatment.

Same with prolotherapy and and "rolf ". If I ever have the kind of pain in my back that I had not to long ago, I will try rolf, and based on this input I would also give prolotherapy a shot for my knee. It can't be any worse than following my doctors advice which was "you can return to your 12 hr/day full time ICU job" in two weeks. At the time a I was using a large knee brace, and a hiking pole to get from my car to his office, and to walk from my living room to the kitchen.
HEY HO...OFF TO WORK YOU GO! :eek:

It took almost two years and me seeking out my own PT before I improved. Had to retire 3 yrs earlier than planned. Unfortunately I did not hear about "rolfing" from UD until the very end of my saga, BUT NEXT TIME I WILL SURELY BE PREPARED!

Excellent discussion on "alternative" therapy. Looking forward to hearing more.

Massage Therapy may be something to consider. Rolfing is great as well.

I will second/third the benefits (long lasting) of Rolfing! The original sessions are as Una Dogger said 10, 90 minute sessions and work over the whole body. I now go 3-4 times a year for "tune ups" (90 min). Before I started I was pretty much incapacitated by the very activities I do regularly now, like hiking, biking, golf and most anything else that involved movement:) Have you had your feet/gait evaluated. That also, IMHO played a big part in my low back health.

That's all well and good, but the plural of anecdote is not evidence.[/QUOTE

You are absolutely correct, but if people I know who are of sound mind have obtained relief, I am willing to give it a try.

I will second/third the benefits (long lasting) of Rolfing! The original sessions are as Una Dogger said 10, 90 minute sessions and work over the whole body. I now go 3-4 times a year for "tune ups" (90 min). Before I started I was pretty much incapacitated by the very activities I do regularly now, like hiking, biking, golf and most anything else that involved movement:) Have you had your feet/gait evaluated. That also, IMHO played a big part in my low back health.

I get the sense that those of us who Rolf are a self selected group --- I was curious about it for many years from an overall well being standpoint, an it wasn't until I struggled with an injury and ineffective standard treatment did I make the commitment to Rolf -- and it's a committment for sure!
Long-lasting, indeed! I am now 8 months out from my final of the Ten Series -- thought I would be back for a tune in June -- still feel like I am in a new body -- no aches, no strains, no crackles, no snagging --- best thing I have ever done for myself ;-) -- glad you had a similar experience, <KRobi>.

Last edited:
Sound mind. VFTT Posters. Ummm.... :rolleyes:

WE are absolutely have the soundest minds. :D No one thinks like we do. We are all exceptions to the status quo and loving every minute. cool:

WE are absolutely have the soundest minds. :D No one thinks like we do. We are all exceptions to the status quo and loving every minute. cool:

You're right. I hear sounds in my mind all the time. Voices are sounds. Right? :D