Pulks comparison

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulk I made in 2004..
sled-hardware store in VT
belt-Adventure Outfitters
rope-EMS
pipe-Ace hardware
biners-my supply
It's not meant for anything but pulling gear on relatively easy terrain to a campsite or lean-to. I would not want to go up and down hills with it. Just a fun toy.
pulk.jpg

Pulk I made in 2004..
sled-hardware store in VT
belt-Adventure Outfitters
rope-EMS
pipe-Ace hardware
biners-my supply
It's not meant for anything but pulling gear on relatively easy terrain to a campsite or lean-to. I would not want to go up and down hills with it. Just a fun toy.
pulk.jpg

Oh Maddy! Mine is a lot like yours! You've got to go downhill with it! Just leap onto it when you get to the height of land!

Personally, I think that the rigging/harness system is more important than the sled it'self. Weight and friction properties are negligable when you load a sled. The shape is more important. Long narrow sleds are the way to go, along with a rigid harness system to keep the sled from flipping, especially if your skiing with it.

I am assuming you are using this in the NE, so based on that I would go with the Paris version. It took me 6 winters and over 150 miles to wear my first one out. And the only thing that was worn out was the bottom got chewed up from pulling it over rocks.

The main problem I have always had with pulks is the harness/rigging system.

I like the steel u shaped conduit which adds lots of rigidity to the system, which is awesome when skiing. Attaching it to a hip belt is the weak point I have found. I have tried direct rigid attachments to my hip belt which perform well, except when under serious load they can fail (dragging a loaded sled down a steep slope, like down The Bonds). I have also tried loose attachments which don't fail, but my sled has flipped over on occasion when skiing with it. What works best is something inbetween which I haven't quite figured out yet...

Regardless, personally I think the Paris home version is the way to go in the NE.

On Denali (as Hamtero pointed out), we use base camp provided cheap kids sleds that we tie into our climbing rope. They do the job but are difficuilt to control (hence the harness/rigging system) ;)

I put the loaded pack(s) in a tarp and roll up burrito style.

That tarp is wonderfully handy to lay out in the snow for your gear once at camp.