replacement seam tape/seam sealer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
You know it when your tent/rain jacket starts to age when he seam tape starts to disintegrate into a horrible mess. Has anybody had a good experience in seam sealing it with either new seamtape or a seam sealer? I have an old Kokatat paddling jacket that gets cooked in my kayak on hot summer days and the seam tape is peeling off... I could probagly use some seam sealer but just curious if anybody has tried to retape it with something. Either way, I'd probably have to buy it since my seam sealer is probably older than this jacket... I also managed to put a hole at a seam in it...

Jay

It is my understanding that seam tape has to be sewn in as the tent/garment is made. If you try to replace the tape, you have to split the seam and resew it (which will add more needle holes in the fabric).

The best repair is probably just to use seam sealer...

Doug

Thanks Doug, I was expecting to probably have to seam seal it at some point. It doesn't get a lot of use but gets carried a lot...

Jay

If SeamGrip can't fix it, it is hopeless. Great product. I use it for everything, especially fixing holes/rips in clothing. Never tried it on a tent :)

Seems like with duct tape and seam grip, we should be able to make everything! :D

Jay

Seems like with duct tape and seam grip, we should be able to make everything! :D
Watch out for duct tape--the adhesive often becomes gummy and if used for a field repair can be difficult to clean off before a proper repair. (If you must use it, it is a good idea to remove it as soon as possible and do a proper repair.) Ripstop nylon tape can be used for field repairs and, if properly applied can often be sewn in place to effect a permanent repair.

Doug