Rescue/help me.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
Since the “Humor me” thread received so many opinions concerning what gear to carry and what not to carry, I was wondering how many of you have actually helped another hiker in trouble. This can range from giving water to a thirsty hiker who has run out, to personally medevacing a hiker off the mountain. So what is your most memorable rescue or assistance?

Mine is nothing special, just giving extra clothing, sharing my soup, switching sleeping bags or making someone comfortable who was not adequately prepared for the elements.

Nothing remarkable really ... I've leant out my water filter more times than I could count... shared food, water, my stove ... given away fuel to thru-hikers... that sort of thing. I've never encountered anyone in serious trouble. Many people have helped me out on the occaisions when I've forgotten something too.

The thing I felt the most good about was giving away my water as I was descending the switchbacks on Mt. Whitney. Lots of people heading up stopped me to ask if there was any place higher up to fill up (& there isn't.) I gave all my water to two groups, knowing that I had a filter waiting for me a mile or so below in my tent.

- Ivy

Gave water on several occasions. And a group of us gave food and clothing to a woman and her children at Bradley Pond Lean-to. They were seriously lost and unprepared.

Also gave directions a few times (and, I admit I have asked for them as well!).

At what point do people here offer unsolicited advice?

rhihn said:
At what point do people here offer unsolicited advice?

My personal rule of thumb is not to offer unsolicited advice unless death is imminent or a child’s safety is at issue.

In Scotland this summer, my wife and I came upon some people shouting across a steep ravine to some hikers on the other side that we couldn't see. They had apparently bushwacked up the other side and were now stuck as there was a drop off of about 100 feet to the river below and they said they couldn't go back up either. We got their names and since we were heading downhill, we were nominated to stop at the Mountain Rescue Office (can't recall what they are really called), about 5 miles drive down from the trail head. We stopped, they had us go into a back room and look at the map with about 3 on call rescuers, we explained the general location. they thanked us and sent several off to find them. Never heard how it worked out. this was in the Glen Nevis area near the Steall Falls.

MadRiver said:
My personal rule of thumb is not to offer unsolicited advice unless death is imminent or a child’s safety is at issue.

IT really depends on how you do it. COmpare the following.

"You shouldn't continue on that hike without sufficient water."

vs

"Wow! My hat's off to you. I'd never be able to make that hike with only a half bottle of ginger-ale."

You can preach, or you can say something that will make them THINK.

Reactions: MEB
Ok two stories aside from the usual sharing of water and clothing. The first was coming down S. Twin towards the Galehead Hut we hear crying and shouts of "help". When we got further down the trail we found a young boy 10-12 years old in cotton clothing (luckily it was summer and warm) crying and somewhat hysterical. After several minutes of calming him down I was able to gather that his 'friend' and their parents had gone ahead to get a peak and told him to wait. He, like most kids, waited for what seemed a long time and then started up the trail. He wasn't sure what peak or what trail they had gone on. Unfortunately it was his first hike and probably his last after this experience. We took him down to the hut where the wonderful staff got him some food and water. When I checked back at the hut the next day they said they had radioed for help but then his 'guardians' had showed up to get him. Part of me is glad I didn't get 'meet' the 'guardians'.
The second story is from hiking Mt. Mitchell in North Carolina. We had hiked up from the campground (is it Black Forest?, Black Woods?) and didn't see anyone on the trail all day. Of course because of the road there was many on the summit but none on the trail. On our way down we met nice woman with a German accent and exchanged words for a few minutes. She said she was waiting for her husband. Off we went down the trail for several minutes when we encounter an older man breathing very heavy and bleeding from several places. I asked him to sit and went to get his wife while giving my wife my first aid kit to tend to his wounds. When I returned he was not sitting nor was he letting my wife take care of him. He was overly concerned about his lost walking pole and camera which, as it turns out, he lost when he fell. He showed me where he had fallen and only after I agreed to go look for his camera did he sit back down. His wounds needed tending and now his wife was there to help keep him sitting. I had to skirt the 12 foot cliff he had fallen over to find and retrieve his camera and pole. He was very grateful and later shared a story about smuggling a similiar camera over the Italian border during WWII for a friend and liking it so much he got one for himself. We patched him up the best we could and then walked them down the steep part of the trail. I asked if they wanted me to go for help the his wife immediately said yes. It turns out he was 78 years old and had a history of heart problems which she told me just before I began my jog to the ranger station. My wife and his wife kept him slowly walking and they were still going when I got back with a ranger. In the end he was treated and released that night from the hospital but needed months of physical therapy to regain strength and mobility in his shoulder and one leg. They were so thankful that months later we received a gift of a native made basket from one of the local tribes.

MadRiver said:
So what is your most memorable rescue or assistance?

When I was in Boy Scouts, our troop was out camping at a jamboree with a bunch of other troops and a few of us went on an unauthorized hike along a trail that followed under some power lines. After about 1/4 mile, we found a guy lying in the grass off the side of the trail. He had probably been there a couple of days and was barely breathing. We went back to the headquarter's tent and told the leaders that we found the guy. One of the leaders scolded us for going on our hike (what a moron) and then we led the EMTs to the site and they carried him away to an ambulance.

I walked a cold, lost hunter out of the woods.

I’ve come across many hikers going the wrong way or not where they thought they were and got them back on track.

A few months back I came across a hiker who passed out and hit his head on rocks. I stayed with him and his companion until he felt well enough to walk out (only about 10 minutes) and others had come that were going out also.

I’ve shuttled several thru-hikers and given them food.

I don’t recall having to share anything with someone on the trail other than perhaps someone in the group I was with, except for once…

I passed an older man (70’s) doing section hiking of the AT. He was sitting down and we talked briefly but he said nothing of a problem. I continued to the summit and upon descending found out from 3 guys that also just passed him that he had an injured ankle. They were going to help on the way back!!?? When I caught back up to him he was trying to make his way down the mountain. I told him I wished he said something as I would’ve helped and I didn’t have to go to the summit. He didn’t want to bother people. It took a bit of convincing to get him to let me carry his pack but he, at first, wouldn’t accept any food or water. His pack was probably the heaviest thing I’ve carried!! His progress down was slow and I was getting concerned for him. I was able to determine he hadn’t eaten or drank water for several hours. I had to coax him to eat as I had plenty of grapes, cheese and dried fruit, but he wouldn’t take water (he had planned to filter further on the trail but had to descend before he got to where he planned to get water and cook food). He didn’t want to drink from someone else’s water container as a safety precaution – “especially from anyone under 40” (his words). He was becoming very weak and from our conversation I knew he had health issues. I assured him I was over 40 and when I disconnected the hose from my water bladder he finally accepted the water from that (about a quart) and I just finished the Gatorade I had in another bottle. His strength and spirits quickly recovered and we made it almost to the trailhead before the 3 (big) guys returned to help. They did give him a ride back to the hostel.

I have two “experiences” to share.

10/31/1998 I was alone heading up the Van Hoevenberg trail with full pack for Marcy/Skylight and Gray stopping at Feldspar Lean-to for the evening. At the junction with the trail from JBL, I ran into a young person in a fleece jacket and blue jeans with no gear. It was limited visibility due to cloud coverage and iced up on the Marcy dome. He hiked in from the Garden and wanted to do Marcy. I told him to stay close to me and together we hiked up Marcy. I had a real dilemma, do I leave this unprepared kid to go down Marcy and back to the Garden by himself, or abort my trip and walk him down. He insisted that I go on and so I did. I did not feel good about my choice, but things worked out. I got to Feldspar and Pete Hickey wandered in later. Some French Canadians joined in after dark and they shared some wine with us. It turned out to be a good time.

12/22/2002 Again I was alone heading up Big Slide just before dark. I ran into a couple (early college age) coming off Big Slide just as I was about to start up. After I reached the summit, I headed back the same way I came up. Returning to the first Brother, I heard “Help…Help” in the distance. It was very dark with little or no moon. Here on top of the Brother I found the couple completely lost since they did not pack any headlamps or flashlights! I always carry two headlamps, so I gave one to the girl and told the guy to stay between us. Of course the guy kept telling me he was good at route finding and from the myriad of wandering footprints I knew he was not.

If you do not know the Brother, there is a steep cliff toward the valley and he wandered close a couple of times. We hiked off and returned to the Garden. The girl was very appreciative, the guy kept telling me he was good at route finding – yeah right. Maybe next time he should stop worrying about route finding and start carrying the proper gear. You do not want to up any mountain after dark without proper gear.

Broken leg coming done Lowe's Path in winter by someone in my group. We improvised a sled and self-rescued from the Log Cabin to the cars. It was a long day.

Many hypothermia cases, led some people down Moosilauke in the dark, wrapped some sprains and blisters.

-dave-

I climbed Katahdin one day a couple of years ago via Abol and down the Hunt trail. The next day, the ranger came by in the morning and said that there was a rescue going on via the roaring brook side of the mt, so we decided to go help out. The rangers said that the rescue had started last night. So we drive over to roaring brook and headed up the trail on the way to Pamola, not knowing how far up the trail the person would be. We only went a little over a mile until we found the group of people carrying her down in a stretcher. We helped out, but there was already 15-20 people helping out, so they really didn't need our extra help. It turns out that she only had some sort of knee injury, but we never heard anything about it after that.

They had been taking her down from somewhere in the knife edge area, down Pamola. That is one really nasty section of trail. long, steep, rocky and narrow. No wonder it took them until morning to get to where we found them.

About seven years ago, coming down from South Kinsman after my dog had just completed her NH4K's, I came across four guys at the Kinsman Pond Shelter. They had come all the over from Reel Brook Trail. There had been a lot of snow recently, and they weren't completely prepared for the conditions. We chatted a while, and I could tell they were in no mood to stay the night and try to make it all the way back. So, I offered to give one a lift to their car (I was parked at the Basin and came up Fishin' Jimmy). Now, that in itself isn't really a rescue, but....

When we got closer to the bottom, after crossing a stream, I heard voices. No, not those kind of voices... I looked around, and way the hell off the trail, on the wrong side of the river, and heading in the wrong direction, I saw two people. They were woefully unprepared, lost, and about to make it much worse. I finally got their attention and found out they had been lost for two hours. They actually weren't more than 100 yards off the trail, but had no idea how to figure that out. I helped them across the river, said "get in line", and the four of us (with a celebrating dog) made it down to the trailhead in the dark.

Nothing terribly difficult, but still a "rescue".

NOthing really exciting, just food and water for the most part.

At the base of Mt Marshall, we still had over 5 miles of hiking ahead of us to get back to the car and this guy was just starting up late afternoon without any water at all! He said he had water back at his tent , he just didn't want to walk back there. Ok, so he can't walk back 15 minutes? Oh, he's standing next to a stream tellling me this.

Coming down in the dark from Cascade and Porter we were happily walking and talking with a couple of guys when I hear this stumbling in the dark behind us. I stop and shine a light back and it's a man trying to catch up with us because we've got light. So that's cool, and as we walk along after a few minutes he says his wife is somewhere behind us but says she's fine walking out in the dark without any light! Whoa, right there guys. I made everybody stop, went back for the wife, who was not fine, and brought her out with us.

Not too many chances to be the good Samaritan in my adventures.

One day I did a circuit of Madison, Adams, Jefferson, and Washington, and as I started heading down toward the Great Gulf from Washington about a half mile from the summit, I met a friendly older man who suddenly realized he had left his water at the top of the mountain. I offered to run back up and grab it for him, which I did - only by the time I was able to find it amid all the people and start back down, he was more than halfway back up himself.

I often run through in my head what I would do in various scenarios. I ought to renew my wilderness first-aid, just in case.

Several times, nothing too dramatic:

* Huntington Ravine: helped father and young son (clad in cotton tee shirts, no pack) up to summit to meet the other son (who had "the" pack). Conditions, 40F, light rain and wind. Loaned clothing, guided up trail, and obtained ride from a car on the road.
* N side of Mt Adams: my party rescued another party. Party separated, one in hypothermia. The leader had dropped his pack and gone ahead to search for the cabins, gotten lost, and bivouaced...
* Cannon Mt, winter: Guided lost snowshoers down trail. They had come up the tram and tried to walk down.
* Greely Ponds ski: Winter school trip. A student crashed and twisted his knee. I (as trip leader) splinted his knee and led the group walking him out. One of the internal knee ligaments had been severed.
* Greely Pond ski: Party member had cold feet. Warmed on stomach.
* Southern Prezzie hike: Gave blister treatment materials to a day hiker.
* Katahdin: helped to walk out a friend with a severe ankle sprain.
* Crow Hill: lower and evacuate a climber with a broken ankle (leader fall--landed on ball of foot).
* Phillips Brook Yurts, winter: treat a burned hand
* Dry River Trail, winter: treat a cut over friend's eye
* Surburne Ski trail (solo): treated a cut in the bridge of my nose as a result of a faceplant and broken glasses. Later at Pinkham, I washed the blood off my face (so I wouldn't scare anyone), splinted my glasses, and drove home.

I don't think of any of them as memorable--just things that needed to be done.

Doug

I once took part in a litter carry on Mt Monadnock. I though I was going to impress all the women. In reality, I ended up with a sore back.

not too much other than loan someone a glove, hat, sock, etc.. food maybe. water - but if it is the group I went with - its all about the team anyway. will help any possible. people have done the same for me. Never really had to help anyone badly injured on the trail - but I would in a second.

on a pressie traverse this summer I got some hllish blisters, but pretty much took care of them myself - fellow hiker gave me some duck tape (which I forgot - I had moleskin)

I guess oddest thing was showing a guy at camp muir (rainier) how to put on a crampon (he never had before) and he was heading to the summit unguided. Call me crazy - but I don't think thats the ideal place to learn the gear!!