road to zealand

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zealand Rd

WM Guide says mid November is when the road closes..I have discovered when it is opened (or closed) by checking forest road closings site on this webiste and by calling the Ammonusuc station and checking other websites with road closing postings..Lefty E

I am foolishly hoping it is closed and full of snow by next weekend :cool:

The roads are all bare and in excellent driving condition. No apparent reason for them to close, especially with hunting season still active. Perhaps they want traffic off the roads in order to start logging operations?

fancy sign

I don't know but they have a fancy sign after the bridge saying the date the road will close. I have no idea if they are flexible.

According to WMNF Road Status page, it appears they have delayed closing the road because it is still listed as open. The 11/15 date has been removed.

I just called and was told that the road will remain open until it snows. The warning was given, however, that last year someone went in on the clear road and it snowed overnight while he was at the hut and he found himself not only locked in but had to be towed out. :eek: WATCH THE WEATHER she said!!!

I just called and was told that the road will remain open until it snows. The warning was given, however, that last year someone went in on the clear road and it snowed overnight while he was at the hut and he found himself not only locked in but had to be towed out. :eek: WATCH THE WEATHER she said!!!

This is similar to what I encountered on the Tripoli Road a year ago. It was open beyond the stated closing date because there was no snow. I bet they would close them immediately if a big storm became forecast for the area.

Policy must differ from year to year. I recall a couple of years ago when someone got snowed in on Zealand road, and the Forest Service plowed the road so he could get out.

Policy must differ from year to year. I recall a couple of years ago when someone got snowed in on Zealand road, and the Forest Service plowed the road so he could get out.

It probably depends on the logging plan. For a couple years, it was done off the top of the road, so the entire road was plowed anyway. Last year the logging was near the Trestle Trail / Sugarloaves parking lot, so the road was plowed up to that point.

There also may be results from no master plan, but just the discretion of the pro on the scene. I've seen DOT people go out of their way a couple times now and wouldn't be surprised if someone took pity on a fellow traveller and went the extra mile for just a few moments. Sometimes, the Borg sleeps and people take over.

I sure appreciate the plow work and trail-head maintenance; that's the New Hampshire way!

Zealand Road's a great snowshoe or ski track and has proven surprisingly gentle on those winter trips. I always expect the extra miles to be a bummer, but they're just a little more time to talk or think. Just watch that last little run if the trucks have glazed it slick!