Round laces or flat?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With UAlbany the center of the nanotechnology universe, I'm picking up a pair of nano laces. Almost no weight, thin and almost invisible. I'm told that unless you use Spectra cloth gloves to lace them, they cut thru your hands like a meat saw. With the gloves,you can tighten them so tight they will cut your boots off. :eek:

Sort of like a flexible Chrysknife.

I didn't realize Albany was the center of the nanotech universe. I bet they grow those laces in a big vat of primordial lace soup.

When my wife says I'm dumb I tap my head and say, "hey baby, nanotech, right in here".

Boot dubbing for laces and leather boots

For years I searched for the perfect boot dubbing (grease). I even tried bacon grease one very rainy week on the trail. It seemed to work, but as I hiked I kept hearing stealthy movement in the woods through which I was hiking. Limmer boot grease worked, but was expensive. Then one day I discovered the perfect solution. An animal based, but non animal harming lubricant. Obtained free from the source like bio-diesel used to be. Acts as an animal repellent both large and small.

Here is what I now use:

Go to any dog grooming establishment and ask if you can have the material that they obtain from expressing the anal glands of dogs they groom. They are really glad to get rid of this natural oil/grease and will be happy to see you take all they can express.

Although wild animals will shy away from you as you walk. Some dogs may not. Hikers will always give you a wide berth. In fact as recently mentioned in other threads, if you have trouble with unwanted people being in your viewfinder when taking pictures on mountaintops, or sitting around chatting when you want solitude I can assure you that this will no longer be a problem. As soon as you walk up, others will quickly move off with wrinkled noses and rolling eyes.

HW

^^^^^^^^^^
That is foul! Even most through-hikers don't smell that bad.
Props to you for not vomiting during application! :D

I'll opt for the less-nauseating SnoSeal on my boots.

Back on topic: Like DougPaul, I like the laces that came on my Merrils. They are round, but always stay tied. I think a lot has to do with the material of construction and the texture of the lace "fabric" than the shape. And I prefer boots with a couple of sets of "speed hooks" at the top so that I don't have to worry about laces coming out of the top holes.

SnoSeals anf baby neoprenes

^^^^^^^^^^
That is foul! Even most through-hikers don't smell that bad.
Props to you for not vomiting during application! :D

I'll opt for the less-nauseating SnoSeal on my boots.

Back on topic: Like DougPaul, I like the laces that came on my Merrils. They are round, but always stay tied. I think a lot has to do with the material of construction and the texture of the lace "fabric" than the shape. And I prefer boots with a couple of sets of "speed hooks" at the top so that I don't have to worry about laces coming out of the top holes.

Shame on you for using SnoSeal products. Don't you know where they come from.

"Save the Baby Neoprenes" and Snow Seals

A.M. Humor is the way to jumpstart the day:rolleyes:

Steel Wire Laces

Poking around looking at light hikers for knockaround shoes I've found the ultimate shoe lace from North Face... Steel.

"New to our footwear collection this spring, this fastpacking shoe replaces traditional laces with our 19-strand steel wire lacing system, Boa®, that permits micro-adjustable lacing through an easy-adjusting dial located on the heel. Eliminating frozen and soggy laces for good, Boa® is renowned for its durability in ice, snow, and water "

I don't see them on the boots yet but maybe you can surgically transplant these. :cool:

"New to our footwear collection this spring, this fastpacking shoe replaces traditional laces with our 19-strand steel wire lacing system, Boa®, that permits micro-adjustable lacing through an easy-adjusting dial located on the heel. Eliminating frozen and soggy laces for good, Boa® is renowned for its durability in ice, snow, and water "
Bad choice--steel rusts. Try stainless steel.

But more important--are they round or flat?

Doug

I have to admit that this thread has really captured my imagination..

today while booting up my roundlaces for Shelburne moriah and moriah

one broke..I was able to double knot it and there was no issue..stopped at the 6288 altitude..or is that attitude..store in gorham on the way out and picked up some fine looking guaranteed for life round ones..nice red color..

we will see...

..or magnesium. It doesn't rust and you always have a source of fire.
Actually magnesium would probably fatigue too quickly. And I wouldn't want to stand too close to a sparky fire with magnesium laces...

I used to play with magnesium ribbon in my younger days--it burns with a very hot white flame.

Doug

I used to play with magnesium ribbon in my younger days--it burns with a very hot white flame.
Doug

So did I but doesn't this belong in the other string? :D Made flares too. :eek: I got all my ideas & science kits from the back of comic books. ;) I was 12 years old and my friend and I were mad scientist.

Ah....Laces....at last we talk ...

Like Neil, I've spent a lot of time, pondering the entire subject of laces and the myriad of side issues associated with them. I have resigned myself to going through life without having the time to find an educated resolution.

For now it seems the solution is to bring no less than 4 sets of laces and change them according to the different phases of the hike (ascent, descent, flat, resting). Each phase requires a change of laces.
Temperature and precipitation should not be overlooked when selecting your lace set for the day. Current styles and personal flair can be incorporated into your selections if enough research is done.

As far as the tips coming off, I send them out for repair.

I've been using the pentagon laces made from UHDPE/carbon fiber, available direct only from Schlameal.com. The weight savings are pretty good about 1000 picograms per foot. Shed the high mica content mud better than any other available shoe tie. Serves double duty as a first rate dental floss for teeth with no proximal neighbor. :D

I vote for this guy for the most creative and cheesiest answer