Sharking from a Kayak

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chuckle

I must admit I've never heard the expression...but that sure does mean something quite different...

I don't know, just because they are SHARKS doesn't mean they're to dangerous of a breed.

Although salmon sharks are thought to be capable of injuring humans, there are few if any attacks on humans. There are, however, reports of divers encountering salmon sharks as well as salmon sharks bumping fishing vessels.[8] These reports, however, may need positive identification of the shark species involved.[5] :confused: from Wikipedia

But it makes for a good story if you don't mention that part. Notice the guys legs in the water with all the blood around. Must be real dangerous. :eek: :rolleyes: But they are livin the dream shark hunters. I'll bring some shark flesh for this weekends hike Steve. :D

Cory

Last edited:
UNFROZENCAVEMAN said:
Anyone else done it?
What do you think Darren was doing in his Avatar! :D

And MJ does Una_dogger know your so familiar with this terminalogy or should we tell her to watch out standing in front of the camp fire at the next gathering? ;) :p

I admit nothing, except that you should not expect to see una_dogger sharked anytime ever!

UNFROZENCAVEMAN said:
Anyone else see this? HOLY MOLY :eek:
Much like the bull's in Spain, I find myself rooting for the sharks, here.

( :eek: Although in Australia "rooting" is the follow-through for "sharking", so perhaps I'll just "cheer" for the sharks. :rolleyes: )

Keep it clean, people!

Sharking is an admirable fishing endeavor. Be respectful of the shark and release it unless you are going to eat it. While they may not be dangerous to humans, a large salmon shark on a 50# class rod attached to a kayak would certainly provide an interesting and possibly dangerous "Nantucket sleigh ride".

Tim

bikehikeskifish said:
While they may not be dangerous to humans, a large salmon shark on a 50# class rod attached to a kayak would certainly provide an interesting and possibly dangerous "Nantucket sleigh ride".

Tim

Your right on with that, sounds fun as it gets. But the danger might only come from getting caught in gear and getting pulled down for a sub-mariner trip, and not the LOOkS like a great white shark danger that you know they are going for. Just kayaking around while there feeding in an Alaskan inlet sounds awesome to me, I've never sea kayaked before but it is on my "to do list".
:cool: Along with sharking! :p

This seems like the perfect Dr. WU comment type of thread! ;)

hmmm.... for some reason, I'm not going to completely believe this picture because i wasn't there. it really does look staged...HOWEVER, if it IS real...WOW!

p.s. remember, EVERYTHING we read on the internet IS true. :)

The strange thing is

for some reason large sharks seem to like to hit yaks. i know of a few instances, including one around here. the guy didnt know what it was and assumed he just hit something in the water - until he saw the large half moon and teeth stuck in the bottom of his yak when he returned. this happened at Cumberland Island Nat'l Seashore which happens to be a VERY popular guided yak destination. most of the tourists dont know what us locals do though - that the north end of CI is arguably the best shark fishing spot on the entire east coast. my grandmother's boyfriend was a pro/commecial shark fisherman (and yes, believe it or not, a survivor of the Indianopolis sinking) and used to speak fondly of all the big tigers, Makos and hammerheads he caught there... :eek:

I fish off my SOT kayak on lake champlain, and I get dragged around pretty noticably by a bass. So I am pretty sure I would not want to hook into one of those. People talk about fishing for sharks off kayaks quite a bit on a kayak fishing forum, so this is not uncommon or that rare as part of the sport.

I prefer this kayak and shark picture:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/sharkkayak.asp

Last edited:
Catching sharks from a kayak? Oh sure,we do it all the time,don't you? :D

I found plenty of ways to get myself into trouble while kayaking,and I don't think I need to add this one. Just plain nuts!
I did drag a line off an ice fishing rod while kayaking in Alaska,but I sure wasn't trying for sharks!

Closest I've come to that was having my boat bumped by a 7 ft manta ray in Exuma. It moved around the boat twice,bumping my blade,and the boat,then it zoomed off underneath the boat.
I was so amazed,I never thought about being scared. What a cool thing it was!