Snake ID?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
This fellow was about 4-5' long and about 2" wide. We saw him while descending off of Plateau in the Catskills. Not a good pic, but the head is on the left and looking right at the camera. Largest snake I've ever seen outside of a zoo.

snake.jpg

Looks like a Timber Rattlesnake, Crotalus horridus, to me, and the one of "Don't tread on me" fame. Congratulations, I'd like to see one myself.

sunfish

Timber rattler. Triangular head is signature feature of all venomus snakes, btw. I've seen them in Harriman, Schenumunk, South Taconics, Giant Ledge, and Hunter in NY and in the Smuggler's Notch region of the Green Mountains.

Yeah, wow, you saw yourself a timber rattler. Scary.

I'm really surprised U.D. saw one around Smuggs. VT has a few pocket populations of them, but they're mostly down south in Rutland County at much lower elevations.

Yeah, wow, you saw yourself a timber rattler. Scary.

I'm really surprised U.D. saw one around Smuggs. VT has a few pocket populations of them, but they're mostly down south in Rutland County at much lower elevations.

extremely hot summer 2002 -- i think the heat drives them out and we see them in unexpected places. had an unfortunate encounter with one two to three days earlier along the LT just north of Johnson along the power line, too...didn't end well.

I love to see them, and thought I mostly knew where they are located. Surprised to see there is at least one on Plateau and some of the other places I've recently heard about.
Only concerns me because of my dog, Bookah.
Planning to get up to one of their favorite haunts in the Catskills with camera and tripod soon. Bookah stays on leash the last half mile.

On the very strong recommendation of a friend, picked up 'Landscape with Reptile - Rattlesnakes in an Urban World' by Thomas Palmer. Focuses on Crotalus Horridus and can't wait to start reading it.

Great TR, Tom. Bet the snake gave Laurie some pause.

A general reminder is please keep the locations of Timber Rattler sitings non specific and avoid giving detailed directions to the locations. (note this is not directed to Paradox as he did keep it non specific)

There has been and may still be an active snake poaching market in the region that captures timber rattlers for sale into the black market for pets. Apparently, its quite easy for them to wipe out a local population.

Ok, I'll ask. What snake did catskillclimber show??